23 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok,
this may not interest SMAUG users because I have not fully added SMAUG capability (yet).

I have developed a very detailed Microsoft Access Database to create, import, and export Rom 2.4 compliant area files. It has been meticulously designed to maintain relational database standards. Also, it will contain tons of custom search capabilities. Now, i have obviously tailored it to suit my personal needs on my QuickMud derivative, however, it does have full Rom capability. Due to its dynamic layout, adding values to lookup tables is easy as pie! If your like me, i'm constantly tweaking things, and IMO OLC is too slow for certain things.

Currently I'm working on a final distro, so it will be uploaded to the Repository.

** Now, its obvious some of you might be thinking "Why Access? It only runs on Windows, and dont you have to have Office???" And to those who are thinking this, you are absolutely right. I in no way am claiming this is the BEST way to do this, but it was quick in development, and ideal for me personally, because at work I have Office, and when it gets slow, I can build away my day!

Anyway, before I upload anything, I'll base that decision on your feedback, as mentioned earlier, i'm only looking for comments or suggestions that are constructive, in other words, i really dont need to be told (thats a bad idea) because as i said, i know exactly what it is. :tongue:
23 Jun, 2009, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
Any screen shots? Hard to give you an opinion when some of us have never used/seen Access ;). Maybe a little bit about the functionality too and how to add/delete things, etc.
23 Jun, 2009, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Sounds interesting. And it may not be totally restricted to Windows either if Open Office can load the database and work with it.
23 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 4th comment:
I have Office and I think it's a good idea. Most school/work computers have it anyway so it shouldn't be all that hard to be in a place where you're bored and want to do some building. Add SMAUG support, though, and then you'll have my vote. :)
23 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
I'll have some screen shots uploaded this evening.

As far as functionality, (adding / deleting) will be self explanitory in the shots.

Thanks for the replies :biggrin:
23 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
Why not just get open office at work? It runs on multiple platforms. The conversions back and forth are actually not very intuitive.
23 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 7th comment:
Runter said:
Why not just get open office at work? It runs on multiple platforms. The conversions back and forth are actually not very intuitive.

Not my call, but i agree. I dont know how Access or its equivalent works in Open, does anyone know?
24 Jun, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
ROM in general doesn't interest me, but if you upload it somewhere or email it to me (fizban@tbamud.com) I'll be willing to attempt using it on MS Office 2010 to see if it is future-proof at all as I'm currently running the Tech Review version of Office 2010 that I (legally) downloaded via TechNet.
24 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 9th comment:
staryavsky said:
Runter said:

Not my call, but i agree. I dont know how Access or its equivalent works in Open, does anyone know?

It doesn't use an access database. I don't know the format but it's not proprietary.
24 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 10th comment:
24 Jun, 2009, Kline wrote in the 11th comment:
Auto image scaling eat your images? Way too tiny to see anything useful :(

edit: I see your edit added links to larger ones, very well then :)
24 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 12th comment:
hehe, yeah it took me a few to redo them. :stare:
24 Jun, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 13th comment:
It isn't something that I'm interested in, but I think it's a good idea and it looks great. =)
24 Jun, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 14th comment:
It has the same feel as Nick Gammon's Area Editor with a more basic look. I loved using it, however it was never (and probably won't be) updated to fit the newer keyed areas for SmaugFUSS. If you can get yours to do this I will bake you chocolate chip cookies. :wink:
24 Jun, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 15th comment:
Might want to look at Zoner: http://www.mortalrealms.com/files/StartZ...

It has a build in map generator which imo is a necessity for any serious building.
24 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
Ickyick, a .exe download from an unknown site. Are there any other references to this program lying around?
24 Jun, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 17th comment:
I tested it, it's not a malicious executable.
24 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
David Haley said:
Ickyick, a .exe download from an unknown site. Are there any other references to this program lying around?

Yeah, needless to say, I didn't download it.
24 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
You are aware, right, that just running something and seeing that it does something doesn't mean it's not actually doing something behind the scenes?

I'm not saying that I have reason to believe the .exe is malicious, it's just that I'm a little wary of .exe files downloaded from more or less random sites.
24 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 20th comment:
Thanks for the replies, it seems that adding SMAUG capability is a must for the community, so eventually i will.
As far as mapper, THAT IS COMMING. I've been developing a mapping system that is going to be integrated into the DB, there are several ways to go about doing it.

The whole reason i developed this in Access is that a true relational SQL driven DB is much faster to edit than any of the above mentioned apps. What i personally love about this, is when you export, it creates not just 1 file at a time, but every .are file in the DB, this goes to whichever folder you want, i may even create an SCP capabaility to login to your mud server and upload direct. I've found for tweaking small things, or large, this can be much easier than saving individual files.

Anyhoo, this is going to be an ongoing project, but its nice to know some of you might want a copy! :wink:

In all honesty, i dont really know much about SMAUG area files so that will be part of the process.
0.0/21