06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
You know, since I'm being branded a thief and all, it'd be amusing if one of you lovely admins could rename me THIEF.

If you'll excuse me, I need to dig up a Link's Awakening avatar.

It'd be nice if people could talk to me about these things directly. Ah well, not like I really care about this community anymore…
06 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
What?
06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 3rd comment:
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
Midboss said:
You know, since I'm being branded a thief and all, it'd be amusing if one of you lovely admins could rename me THIEF.

If you'll excuse me, I need to dig up a Link's Awakening avatar.

It'd be nice if people could talk to me about these things directly. Ah well, not like I really care about this community anymore…

Considering the facts it may be appropriate.

But believe me. I've never been one to shy away from a conversation.
06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 5th comment:
Kindly drop me a PM then.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
I didn't bring it the forum. You did, but if you want to talk about it on the forum then I'll be glad to let everyone know what you are talking about.

Releasing code designed and written and never intended for release by someone else is pretty ridiculous.
06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 7th comment:
False accusations are pretty ridiculous too, I'd say.
06 Jun, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
I'd be surprised if Runter made any false accusations. As an accomplished mud programmer and mud community member in high standing, what benefit could possibly be gained by lying about YOU?
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 9th comment:
Midboss said:
False accusations are pretty ridiculous too, I'd say.

I can prove it. I've got the exact code in old backups of my mud from 2002-2003. Anyone who has ever been on my mud knows that the code existed then.

I've never stolen code from anyone. I've never made false accusations like this. I've always released code to people to use freely with no requirements.

Anyone who knows me knows I have honor and when I say that the code you posted was not your own that you took credit for, these people will know I am being truthful.

But regardless, the code has already been removed from this site. I guess someone believes me.
06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 10th comment:
Explain how I acquired your code, then?
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
Midboss said:
Explain how I acquired your code, then?

That's a good question. I can only assume through some nefarious means.

I originally allowed Kaiousama to use my code years ago with a caveat: Don't take credit for it, don't distribute it.

From what I understand you worked on some projects with him. I'm guessing you ripped it out and decided to call it your own. I don't know or care where you got it.
06 Jun, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 12th comment:
I think that the fact that the code has been removed is proof enough and nothing else should be required.
06 Jun, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 13th comment:
Oh hi everyone! Nice private conversation you're having IN PUBLIC.

So clue the rest of us in or stfu. Thx!

-Crat

PS <3
06 Jun, 2009, Midboss wrote in the 14th comment:
Nope. Never worked directly with Kaiousama. I played Final Fantasy … Compendium I think the name was? It switched hands, and I came on as an immortal for a brief while, where I worked on laying out a continent on the world map, but…at the time, I had no idea how to code and had no access to the code. No way I could've acquired it there. It is, however, where I saw the 3x3 look, which was what I wanted to reverse engineer from there when I wrote my snippet.

At the time, I went asking around on the most efficient way to write an ASCII mapper. It was Davion, I believe, that told me to use a breadth-first search. Linked me to a tutorial on the subject that explained it in more detail. Took me a while to figure it out, as I was quite new at the time. Later, I believe it was even before I released it, I actually happened to find out it was you who coded the mapper I was attempting to reverse engineer; I actually came to your MUD and had a chat with you, and asked you if it was alright for me to release a mapper that output the same style as yours, which you then claimed no credit for and said to go ahead.

I'd like to say, I don't really care that the snippet is down, or anything of the sort. It just stings that someone I've held respect for for so long would accuse me of something like this.

Also: <3 Cratylus. You're probably the only person from the MUD community I missed, because you always make me giggle.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
Midboss said:
Nope. Never worked directly with Kaiousama. I played Final Fantasy … Compendium I think the name was? It switched hands, and I came on as an immortal for a brief while, where I worked on laying out a continent on the world map, but…at the time, I had no idea how to code and had no access to the code. No way I could've acquired it there. It is, however, where I saw the 3x3 look, which was what I wanted to reverse engineer from there when I wrote my snippet.

At the time, I went asking around on the most efficient way to write an ASCII mapper. It was Davion, I believe, that told me to use a breadth-first search. Linked me to a tutorial on the subject that explained it in more detail. Took me a while to figure it out, as I was quite new at the time. Later, I believe it was even before I released it, I actually happened to find out it was you who coded the mapper I was attempting to reverse engineer; I actually came to your MUD and had a chat with you, and asked you if it was alright for me to release a mapper that output the same style as yours, which you then claimed no credit for and said to go ahead.

Also: <3 Cratylus. You're probably the only person from the MUD community I missed, because you always make me giggle.

Well, for the record, this is BS. Yes, you got the code directly from that project. Yes, it's the same code line for line, yes it even has the same bugs I later fixed.

The amazing part about this is I was willing to never even bring it up after the code was removed. Assuming you thought you had credit from Kaiousama or that quite-literal convicted felon Josh.
It's hard for me to believe you would want everyone to know, but okay.
06 Jun, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 16th comment:
It could just be me, and maybe I'm stretching it pretty far with this but going from "no idea how to code" to writing a breadth-first auto-mapping snippet that happens to be absolutely identical (including strange naming conventions) to that of an experienced programmers seems a bit off.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
Midboss said:
I actually came to your MUD and had a chat with you, and asked you if it was alright for me to release a mapper that output the same style as yours, which you then claimed no credit for and said to go ahead.

I didn't mind you reverse engineering anything. I've seen 3x3 mappers used everywhere. Funny how you use the same obscure function, variable, and implementation of lists as my code did. Line for line.

There's not even an attempt to change the names of stuff. I mean, it's just blatant.
06 Jun, 2009, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
And for the record, this isn't even one of those "rewrite the code slightly to circumvent the license" things. This is like identical code, folks.
06 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 19th comment:
I have a copy of Final Fantasy Compendium as it existed about a month prior to Kai leaving and Josh taking over. 2 months prior to that, there are change notes posted in regards to the new world map and the new areas being built to go along with it.

The mapper that Kai had in FFC in June of 2004, a month before he left, is nothing like what Midboss uploaded. Runter, you said that you wrote your mapper 9 years ago? Why would Kai not have that mapper implemented in FFC a month prior to his leaving (which was 4 years after you say you wrote the mapper you claim Midboss ripped off)?
06 Jun, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 20th comment:
I've been pouring over code backups, change logs, trillian chat history… so I'm genuinely interested in trying to get to the bottom of this.
0.0/115