31 May, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
okay guys once again i'm looking for any and all staff to help me put this thing together… im fairly new to linux but i do know code… i got my $#!^ together and fixed the problem…i am also working on creating a DSN for this connection…

so connect to 98.155.39.102 4000
or email me powerlesstoyou@yahoo.com
see mayhem

for builders i have oasisolc with improved editor..
for coders well we'll talk when u get there
i'm also looking for a webmaster to create the website
and an associate ssh admin to help me run my SSH

i'm also looking for anyone who wants to get involved.. if you have a unique talent and wanna help come by and lets chat…

if u can't can't then i don't know why but i do know that all ports are open and others have connected from world wide connections….

thanks.. Mikey Mayhem
31 May, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
You already have a topic. Please us that.
31 May, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
mayhem666 said:
i'm also looking for anyone who wants to get involved.. if you have a unique talent and wanna help come by and lets chat…

Please see http://dead-souls.net/articles/newcomer....

:)

-Crat
01 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 4th comment:
mayhem666 said:
and an associate ssh admin to help me run my SSH

What exactly does "running the SSH" entail? I've never heard of such a position before.
01 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Presumably he means somebody to help run the Linux server. A lot of people new to Linux tend to equate SSH with the whole server.
01 Jun, 2009, Banner wrote in the 6th comment:
David Haley said:
Presumably he means somebody to help run the Linux server. A lot of people new to Linux tend to equate SSH with the whole server.

I see. I assumed it was some type of program or code with the same acronym.
01 Jun, 2009, sasuke wrote in the 7th comment:
Meyham, your not going to get anywhere asking everyone to do all the work for you. Most people who come here are running their own mud regardless. Take me for example. I'm working on on my own mud as well, it's going to take me forever, but I know that putting in allot of time and hard work and effort will pay off in the long run. I learned about compiling a mud from Gammon's website, hand patching code from tbamud's website, which is good for learning how the new code is implemented, and I've expanded on the patches that I have put in as I have learned more. I learned how to build by dissecting stock areas, and have taken out all of those to replace them with original areas that players won't get bored with once entering the mud.

I don't even know what you want to do with your mud. What is your plan? Do you have a theme? Is it a PvP mud? Do you have an idea of how you want the areas laid out? Until you have a plan on what you want to do with your mud, and are ready for the long hall by learning to be efficient by yourself or on someone elses mud, then you probably won't go far. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, its just how I view this situation
01 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
sasuke said:
I don't even know what you want to do with your mud.

Well according to his other post, he's planning to start from scratch…using CircleMUD (???) - and his goal is to recreate GodWars.
01 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 9th comment:
yea exactically… let me make this very clear… for those with rather hoarse attitudes about my post… i'm not asking for everyone to do all the work… i know code and i know how to code… i'm learning byproxy how to run a linux host as well.. starting from scratch with the circlemud code just means i'm using the base… and the reason i'm using this base is because its a stable C enviroment.. i think everyone just misunderstood what i was speaking about.. i know how to build i know how to code i know how to do everything on my own.. however i'm looking for some help experienced or not… i can teach as well.. so don't take my words the wrong way please :biggrin: thanks … Mayhem
01 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Not to appear harsh, and no offense intended, but it's your job to make sure your posts are understood. Your posts are rather terse and appear to be written off the cuff as you're running off to do something else. If you would like people to take your posts seriously, it would really help to make it look like you're taking things more seriously. Also, the link Crat gave is very good reading – I strongly suggest that you read it.
01 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 11th comment:
yea i read it… not to sound new or anything.. i have done this several times and things have changed a bit… i remember the good old days when people would respond rather quick to just a link… lol … but i guess people are looking for the more respectable enviroment because they don't want their work to be lost due to poor administration and i understand that… so to do without the presence of lack of knowledge… i strongly suggest anyone who seeks a position that i have availible to be adamant about making there presence in this building process.. if your not as serious as i am the find someone with a lax provision to their codebase…..
01 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
It's not helpful to blast potential staff members for being lazy before you've even met them, especially when you haven't really given anybody a good reason to hop along with your project. :thinking:
01 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 13th comment:
again… people being over sensitive over my content… man is that all you guys do here is blaze others reqest?
01 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
Well, as Crat's link said, the main idea here is to help you get more positive feedback to your questions, not to flame you. Nobody here meant offense, we're just trying to make this kind of thread more productive. Sorry if you aren't happy with it, I'll stop now…..
01 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 15th comment:
mayhem666 said:
yea i read it… not to sound new or anything.. i have done this several times and things have changed a bit…

Could you elaborate on what happened to the several other projects you started up? As you say, people are wary about joining a venture that will crash and burn (and take their work with it).
01 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 16th comment:
no problem… i fell into a habit of using drugs… went to folsom prison for 4 years and lost all my previous content … i don't mind sharing this information because its plyable to my new way of living… i'm now more stable and grounded and i want to find a way to contribute to the mud community…
01 Jun, 2009, Dean wrote in the 17th comment:
Personally, I am warrant to believe that when people post (constructive) criticism in regards to anything like immortal ads or just adverstising your MUD in general it is worth taking it on board as David, Kavir etc all know what they're talking about. The intent is to try and help you make your posts more appealing to prospective staff which in the long run can only be good right?
01 Jun, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 18th comment:
Okay, it doesn't inspire too much confidence, but at least you're honest.

My other question would be why, exactly, you plan to reinvent the wheel. Why recreate GodWars instead of simply using one of the GodWars codebases?
01 Jun, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 19th comment:
That's sort of the main question I had… if your goal is to have a godwars-like mud, why not start from godwars and change it accordingly, rather than starting from something on the other end of the spectrum and re-inventing the wheel? If you wanted to write it from scratch (REALLY from scratch) to avoid licensing issues, that's one thing. But if you're starting from CircleMUD, you're just exchanging one license for another, and they're not all that different.
01 Jun, 2009, mayhem666 wrote in the 20th comment:
My reasoning is simple… on one hand i love playing godwars … on the other i'm so firmiliar with the circlemud codebase i just see the potential to strengthen my coding abilities… now i'm not the greatest coder in the world but i do fancy myself as average.. i see it as a true challenge… can't be bad… but my true insipiration is a game that was once live called ToTs Twilight of The Souls a circle/godwars mud that was so fun it was stupid…
0.0/25