06 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, i've been using MS Visual Studio 2008 for my C project, and of course getting ROM to compile
in windows needs allot of changes. I was wondering what kind of editor do you guys use? Is there
anything out there that allows you to visually step through C code?

I do know that you can you emacs and of course GDB, but is there anything out there that would
equal Visual Studio? Something with intellisense that can tell you what members are in your structure?
Set breakpoints, ETC?
06 May, 2009, mordain wrote in the 2nd comment:
check out RHIDE

http://www.rhide.com/

good if you like the old borland C IDE
06 May, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 3rd comment:
Eclipse + CDT (C Development Tools)
BloodShed Dev-C++
Code::Blocks
Open Watcom
06 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 4th comment:
While we're talking IDEs; is there a good (win) solution that would effectively run over ssh, like a prettier console? I can't stick to a real IDE past nano because I hate moving out of my IDE back to ssh to test build, debug, etc.
06 May, 2009, Davion wrote in the 5th comment:
It's not technically a windows solution… but if you run AndLinux on your doz box, you can run kate, and use it's built in sftp, terminal, and ide abilities all in one!
06 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 6th comment:
You mean vim and bash don't constitute an IDE? Darn. :evil:
07 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 7th comment:
While I do love my nano, I mainly miss the ability to collapse blocks of code; especially when working in larger functions. The intellisense stuff is nice, but not a necessity. I just loathe alt-tabbing to do code/save/compile/etc.
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
I use vim paired with its support for handling tag files generated by exuberant ctags and intelligent auto-completion. Works just fine for me. I'll cheerfully admit that straight vim without tag support is rather "meh" when compared to intellisense etc.
07 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 9th comment:
David, what version of VIM are you using?
Say you were using an object or pointer refference?
would it do this:

ch->[name]
[desc ]
[level ]

like where you could use arrow keys and choose the member? or do you mean
it populates text in the sense that it ads brackets for you and such?
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
I use vim7. And yes, that is what I meant by its ability to handle tag files with intelligent auto-completion. I've never really liked it when editors add in brackets for me, because I'm so used to putting them in myself and I end up having too many or having to delete things.

It's also worth noting that I've been using vim for a long time now, and know it well enough that I can use its features to edit text far more rapidly than you can do in other editors that aren't so full of short, succinct but very powerful keyboard shortcuts.

The only time I don't use vim is when I'm writing Java, because Eclipse is so very, very good at manipulating Java structures (not just the auto-completion). I know about a plugin for Eclipse that hooks it into vim; I don't know what state that's in these days.
07 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 11th comment:
David, one more question:

You are using vim 7? On my linux server hosting my project mud i have an older version, in your experience do you know if i can update it without root access? and if not, where can i learn how to adjust the vim settings so that intellisense works?
also, maybe even color scheme settings?

thanks david, you're very helpful. :biggrin:
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Hmm, I've never installed vim without root access, but I guess it should be possible. You'd have to download the source and compile it yourself. Really though, vim6 is pretty old, so it might be worth asking the system administrator to consider upgrading it to the more recent one.

The plugin I use that does completion is called OmniCppComplete or something like that, and it uses exuberant ctags to generate the tags file (which is a collection of symbol information).

Color scheme settings are in .vim/color although it might be a little non-obvious at first how to edit them.

I've been meaning to publish my .vim settings at some point, I'll try to remember to do that soon and then give you the link. :smile: I have a few nifty tricks accumulated in the .vimrc file.

(It's worth noting also that I don't like the editor as much at all in its default settings. It's a downside IMO that it needs to be configured quite a bit to get to a point that really makes you happy. Same thing with Emacs, or so I am told at least.)
07 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 13th comment:
sweet!

so are you able to use VIM to debug?
In your C days mudding (i say that as if thats past-tense) did or do you use gdb as a debugger? i know you can break point and stuff, but being from a more spoiled generation (windows and vb6) i am used to visually seeing the code window with a highlighted bar and being able to hover over my variables and see tags that tell me values. i'm not even sure if this is possible with vim but that would be good.
07 May, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 14th comment:
Well, it's certainly possible with Vim. Whether or not someone has written a plugin for it already is another story already. If you're still agnostic to editors, you could try Emacs which I'm pretty sure has GDB integration, and I'd be surprised if it didn't have something like Intellisense for C code as well.
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
I use gdb but never bothered with vim integration. Frankly, it's fairly rare that I need to debug something complicated enough that I need the advanced debugging features, but that said, when I do, it has been easier in Eclipse/MSVC++ than in gdb – mainly because I haven't taken the time to figure out gdb's advanced features yet.

Googling for "vim gdb integration" gave several results; you could try playing around with one of those.
07 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
David, do you have a screen shot of what your Vim settings have yielded?
Such as coloring and intellisense?
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Sure, here is a simple image showing two FUSS files in split-window mode, where I started typing "ch->" and got a popup menu of choices.
07 May, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 18th comment:
Thats exactly what i want!

dang dude, how big is your monitor?
07 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 19th comment:
I do like the auto-completion… I may have to go look that one up, as it's one of the few features I really did like from my time in the Visual Basic trenches (VB5!)
07 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
At work I have two 1600x1200 monitors; at home I have 1680x1050+1280x1024. The screenshot is ~1600x1200, not showing the other monitor (which is in fact rotated 90 degrees, to be 1200x1600).
0.0/45