05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I want to redesign my website for my MUD and to expand my design abilities. To begin with, I know very little html, as I used Dreamweaver for the EvilEye and SWGI websites. I can look over the code and figure out what it's doing, but to sit down with Frontpage and type up the site myself is beyond me. I'd like to know how websites hold a static layout and change the content in the middle, similar to the way Zeno's BIYG website is. Is this CSS or something else? Basically, I want a way to change pages more easily instead of having to create and modify each and every single page and then go back and change them if you wanted. I've looked at various CMS's, but of the ones I've tried, they were too overly complicated for what I was looking for. Can anyone recommend what I should do to proceed with this, such as learning whatever it is that will accomplish this or a powerful, easy to use CMS? Any suggestions appreciated!

And while we're on topic, and suggestions as to what I may do to my own website (www.swgi.org) to make it more user-friendly/appealing/easy on the eyes or whatever would be appreciated.
05 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
A lot can be done with PHP interspersed in HTML. Your page might look something like this:
<static html header, images, links>
dynamic php in a small iframe based on link clicked or cookies present
<more static html footer, any tracking code>

I know very little web-dev stuff myself, just because I don't find it terribly interesting, but I'd look into QSPF for something relatively simple that supports both static and dynamic elements, if for nothing more than to look and learn from.
05 May, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
My site just uses a bunch of frames. Basic HTML stuff with CSS. I wouldn't suggest frames though, it's not very spider friendly.

Personally I want to move to something that focuses on content, like having my Wiki as the entire website: http://www.biyg.org/wiki/

I think that content > design.

I don't think you need a CMS for a MUD website, that's a bit much. If you have a decent playerbase who is involved, a wiki+forums should be good. You can design the Wiki into whatever you want it to look like, if you know what you're doing.
05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 4th comment:
But I don't know what I'm doing. :( And I only need a decent looking website that makes players say "Hmm, with this much work put into the website, its worth checking out the game." I don't think a Wiki will accomplish that.
05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 5th comment:
Kline, is that something to do with CSS or is that just PHP and HTML?
05 May, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 6th comment:
You can use simple html and css to create a site and accomplish what you want as far as easy of updating. Are you looking at creating this yourself? Are you looking for resources to learn how to do this yourself? Or are you looking for quick/easy ways to throw together a nice looking site for your MUD?
05 May, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 7th comment:
Also, to answer your current questions, I always recommend Wordpress as a simple easy-to-use CMS. It's what I've used on several sites, and if you aren't very talented in the design department, just grab a template and it'll still look fine.
05 May, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 8th comment:
I'd also recommend Wordpress. Each of the sites linked in my sig use Wordpress, and while I wouldn't hold any of them up as shining examples of great design they should demonstrate the different functionality you can achieve with Wordpress.
05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 9th comment:
Crystal said:
You can use simple html and css to create a site and accomplish what you want as far as easy of updating. Are you looking at creating this yourself? Are you looking for resources to learn how to do this yourself? Or are you looking for quick/easy ways to throw together a nice looking site for your MUD?

Either/or. I want an impressive site that is easy to create and maintain.
Crystal said:
Also, to answer your current questions, I always recommend Wordpress as a simple easy-to-use CMS. It's what I've used on several sites, and if you aren't very talented in the design department, just grab a template and it'll still look fine.

Hm, heard about it but that's one I never tried. Must try that.
Orrin said:
I'd also recommend Wordpress. Each of the sites linked in my sig use Wordpress, and while I wouldn't hold any of them up as shining examples of great design they should demonstrate the different functionality you can achieve with Wordpress.

I do like the look and feel of your Maiden Desmodus site.
05 May, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 10th comment:
Drupal is also a good choice. A bit more complex than Wordpress, but more flexible as a result. And if you ever feel the need to dig into the code, Wordpress is a pile of crap compared to Drupal's innards.
05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 11th comment:
Durpal was too complicated for me. :(
05 May, 2009, Malek Kervanes wrote in the 12th comment:
you can also check out Mambo or Joomla….both very easy to use and lots of different templates
05 May, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 13th comment:
Joomla is okay, Drupal seems overly convoluted. Neither of which are as easy to set up as Wordpress if you want something simple and easy that accommodates a simple updates blog and lets you use a rich text editor to add/edit pages. Which is really all a MUD site needs.
05 May, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 14th comment:
Joomla and Drupal would be far too much for just a MUD site, I think. I use Joomla a lot, but I don't recommend it here. Wordpress seems more light and would work.
05 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 15th comment:
I think I'll give Wordpress a go. Can anyone recommend a decent Star Wars/blue and cyan theme, or a good theme site to start with?
06 May, 2009, Banner wrote in the 16th comment:
(In reference to Wordpress) What I don't get about these CMS's is how you change the colors, layout, or banner images of the main page/pages.
06 May, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 17th comment:
Probably look into the Wordpress documentation. Typically it's just installing some package.
0.0/17