02 May, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
When I started running Reanimation, I found that when I'd try to add a help file it would save itself into the area I was in, and cause a nasty crash on copyover/reboot. At first I thought it was something that I was doing, but as time has passed and I've learned the code more, I've found that in olc_act.c
it is setup to work that way, for whatever reason. I've searched online for a fix for this, and found one workable answer that doesn't require me to completely
remove the current hedit system. However, this change pushed all the helpfiles into one file and any helps would display olc information instead of the desired helpfile. In the code it claims that it is the Kermit help system… But the Kermit help system I looked at didn't compare properly. So, what I'm looking for is a simple way get the hedit to work in such a way that it doesn't save to areas and/or shove all the helpfiles into one file causing more errors than I had before. If I have to remove what is there currently, I shall, but anything idea's to prevent having to remove a current system would appreciated.
–Silence Tyire of Reanimation.
02 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hi it'd be quite helpful to know what base you are using so people can better assist you.
02 May, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 3rd comment:
QuickMUD Rom 2.4
02 May, 2009, ghasatta wrote in the 4th comment:
Having recently rewritten the help module for RAM I am pretty familiar with a lot of the shenanigans in the rom help system. Assuming that RAM and Quickmud have the same olc system, you should be able to specify the area file name that you want your new helpfile to be a part of.

E.g.:
hedit new areafile.are mynewhelpkeywords
02 May, 2009, Skol wrote in the 5th comment:
Yeah, did that on mine and it's all in 'help.are' with none of the helpfiles left in the area files.
04 May, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 6th comment:
Perhaps a stupid question… But why doesn't help.are read as an area when saving changed areas?
… In the stock do_asave, it has a part commented out to save each file whether it was modified or not.
I moved that into the asave_changed part of the code, but it doesn't seem to want to read help.are
into that, and therefore when I copyovered after trying that idea, the new help file doesn't save.
04 May, 2009, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
Mine's set up with an 'asave helps' to save that.
04 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 8th comment:
Does modifying a help in your code toggle an area->modified flag or similar? From reading all this so far it sounds like there is an intelligent area->modified system to only save what needs saving, but that the strictly "helpfiles only" area gets skipped. Try making your hedit command set the area to modified if that's the case.
0.0/8