30 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just wondering if anyone has or knows of a list with an explanation for each Immortal command.. I was wanting to give it to my builder IMMs and what not…

Thanks a lot
30 Apr, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm unaware of any such list but maybe if you post a list of the ones you'd like explained we can help you. plus, it would be helpful if you specify a codebase since the commands are not the same for all codes.
30 Apr, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 3rd comment:
boblinski said:
I was just wondering if anyone has or knows of a list with an explanation for each Immortal command.. I was wanting to give it to my builder IMMs and what not…

Thanks a lot

Many MUDs have a command to list the immortal commands. Wizhelp seems to be the command
I have seen mostly for this. As far as help on the MUD, that would depend on the help files the
MUD happens to have, though, some commands might have a 'mini help' that shows the basic
syntax if you use the command with no argument (or sometimes incorrectly).

There also may be some websites and even MUDs dedicated to teaching building (I seem to
remember some MUDs being mentioned in a somewhat recent thread).
30 Apr, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
You might get a better response, Boblinski if you tell us the codebase you want more information on
30 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 5th comment:
Sorry, I'm using quickmud.. here's a few I'm not sure about:

1). dump
2). mpdump
3). prefix

Also.. with "Trust'.. is it just so I can have a Mortal char doing stuff like restrings and such? ie.. "trust bob 52" gives bob all the IMM-commands a level 52 IMM would have? even if bob is only level 6?
30 Apr, 2009, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
I can't answer to the commands, but yes, in most games, trust is a way of granting a lower level person higher permissions than they truly have. I can't say I've ever used it, but I could see instances where you may have privileged (trusted) mortals that you might grant trust enough to use a 'sockets' or 'users' command; to check for people multi-playing when no imms are about to do so.

I'm sure someone has a good use for it, but I haven't ever needed it.
30 Apr, 2009, Davion wrote in the 7th comment:
Kline said:
I can't answer to the commands, but yes, in most games, trust is a way of granting a lower level person higher permissions than they truly have. I can't say I've ever used it, but I could see instances where you may have privileged (trusted) mortals that you might grant trust enough to use a 'sockets' or 'users' command; to check for people multi-playing when no imms are about to do so.

I'm sure someone has a good use for it, but I haven't ever needed it.

I've never seen, or even thought of using it that way… foodies with the ability to use imm commands?! Heresy. ;). The only time I've ever used it was to grant some immortals higher ranks, so they can do higher level stuff, but the Imms of the same level don't get jealous.
30 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
It's useful when you want to have a mortal character for testing. The character is mortal for all intents and purposes, but has higher command access so you can debug stuff without going to the actual imm character.
01 May, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
as to the dump and mpdump commands I'm not sure what they're used for, well, the mpdump command I assume is to dump all the information about mprogs contained in the mud into one file.

As for prefix, you can type "prefix restore" and then any other line sent to the mud will be prefaced with restore, so you can just enter individual names if there is a quest that requires you to restore mortals as they die (or whatever). meaning, you can just type dan, hit enter and it will restore dan. It's just a way to enter the same command multiple times in a row without having to re-type it. I assume it was created in the days when most people played via a terminal or some other means which doesn't store the previous commands like modern clients do.

[edit to add] and you can remove the prefix by typing prefix clear when it is on.
01 May, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 10th comment:
Igabod said:
As for prefix, you can type "prefix restore" and then any other line sent to the mud will be prefaced with restore, so you can just enter individual names if there is a quest that requires you to restore mortals as they die (or whatever).

I'm fairly sure I've also seen muds where "prefix" was used to set a prefix title on the who list, so where regular players might appear as "16 Warrior: Bubba" or "25 Mage: Boffo", and you might appear as "Greater God: Biffo", you could change your prefix title so that you'd show up as "Coder: Biffo" or "Lazy slacker: Biffo" or whatever.
01 May, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
yeah I've seen that as well but the quickmud version is what I explained.
01 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
It's useful when you want to have a mortal character for testing. The character is mortal for all intents and purposes, but has higher command access so you can debug stuff without going to the actual imm character.

I suppose, although I tend to error on the side of caution. To my mind, immortals characters shouldn't be able to physically interact with the game world AT ALL, but should be there as a kind of ghost with their immortal commands. If they want to test something as a mortal, let them become mortal (via an avatar, if you like). If you're doing something where you need a mortal but still need admin commands… that's what things like screen, or any of the custom-clients that support multiple connections, is for.

I guess it's one of those features that sounds good on paper, but every time I've ever seen a low-level character that had been "trusted" with higher level commands, it's either been an immortal twinking their frirends, or a player exploiting a bug to get the extra access and running with it.
01 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
quixadhal said:
I guess it's one of those features that sounds good on paper, but every time I've ever seen a low-level character that had been "trusted" with higher level commands, it's either been an immortal twinking their frirends, or a player exploiting a bug to get the extra access and running with it.

This is a completely different question though. I'm talking about an immortal doing it in a very precise case: to themselves. Yes yes yes, you could use screen or whatever, but that's annoying when you want to very rapidly m/oinvoke some stuff, run around as a mortal, move around, etc. Nobody's talking about doing it to friends or players using bugs.
01 May, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 14th comment:
I've disabled trust to work on mortals, and mostly have used it to give an immortal more commands without the official rank.

Of course, the addition of the grant/revoke commands have made trust more or less obsolete now.
01 May, 2009, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
Is grant/revoke something to give individual command permissions? I don't have that in my game. Stock Ack!MUD shipped with "imtlset", which I removed. You had to create a MAX_LEVEL imm for yourself on initial boot but still had zero power without using imtlset to grant yourself access to all commands. It just felt like an extra unncessary layer to me.
01 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
I believe so, yes. Other codebases call it "bestow".
Bestowing commands is useful because it gives finer-grained control than giving access to all of a level's commands. Of course, group-based permissions would be even more useful, because then you could give permissions based on what task is being accomplished, instead of having to control it on a per-command level.
01 May, 2009, Skol wrote in the 17th comment:
boblinski said:
Sorry, I'm using quickmud.. here's a few I'm not sure about:

1). dump

Dumps memory info back to you, number of mobs, resets, etc.
2). mpdump

Displays an mprog's code: syntax: mpdump 1234
3). prefix

Prefix adds whatever you have in prefix to the beginning of your input.
IE: Prefix redit create 12, then you type 01, 02, 03 etc and it does 'redit create 1201' 'redit create 1202' etc.
Also.. with "Trust'.. is it just so I can have a Mortal char doing stuff like restrings and such? ie.. "trust bob 52" gives bob all the IMM-commands a level 52 IMM would have? even if bob is only level 6?

Trust gives that person teh powers of whatever level you have the trust to. Usually for immortals yes, but you could give a level 5 trust 52 and have them able to use goto/redit etc.
02 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 18th comment:
David Haley said:
you could use screen or whatever, but that's annoying when you want to very rapidly m/oinvoke some stuff, run around as a mortal, move around, etc. Nobody's talking about doing it to friends or players using bugs.

Hmmmm… "ctrl-A ctrl-A at mortal minvoke foo" isn't rapid enough for you?
02 May, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
Nope. "minvoke foo" is a lot easier to type than prefixing everything with "^A ^A at mortal". It's also just that much more stuff to keep track of. (Am I in my mortal character or my imm character now? Oh wait, wrong command, let's switch again…)
02 May, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 20th comment:
I still think it's a solution looking for a problem. I just honestly don't see the need to use buliding commands as a mortal. What part of the game are you testing/modifying that you need such integration? Surely you aren't using mortals just to do things like spell check rooms, or link exits?

When I load mobs to test combat, it's one command line with my imm "restore mortal; at mortal mload bugger", and then my imm sits there and does nothing until the fight's over. Most of the time, the setup required to set the mortal to the right level, give him the right gear, etc… takes far longer than logging in a second character. AND, I don't have to worry about security issues/abuse for a feature that (IMHO) just isn't that useful.

Of course, you are welcome to disagree. :)

Now, one thing that might be quite handy is a TIMED grant of powers and/or experience. By that, I mean if I were running a real mud and wanted to test a new dungeon that I'm balancing for a party of 5 level 20's, instead of botting or multi-boxing, I could grab 5 willing players and grant them experience/gear/maybe a handful of utility commands for 30 minutes and have them help me test it, knowing they'll be restored to their exact earlier state when the timer runs out. That's not so much about imm commands though, as being about play-testing.
0.0/21