23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Can anyone help me. I'm trying to upload a quickmud on my shell using putty but dont know how. Can someone tell me how. Thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving!
23 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Putty isn't well suited for this purpose. What you want is an FTP or SFTP client to upload the quickmud files into your shell.
23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 3rd comment:
I been hearing you can do it using putty by using different commands to compress it. That way you dont have to use a FTP client. Like you need the download source and then you need to compress it using a command in putty but im not sure hwo to do it.
23 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm sure there's a way to do it but since I choose to spare myself that kind of inhuman torture, I just use an FTP client, and it would be advisable for you to do the same rather than spend a bunch of time looking for a complicated way to avoid doing so :)
23 Nov, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
You could wget it if its at a public domain. Otherwise I'd recommend getting WinSCP (if you're using windows) or just using regular linux scp/sftp to transfer the file.
23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 6th comment:
Will Filezilla work?
23 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it today! :smile:
23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 8th comment:
So I upload it using fillezilla and start it up?
23 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
As opposed to what? Uploading it and forgetting about it?
What you do with it once you've uploaded it is up to you. You'd only asked for advice on how to upload it. :wink:
23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah I know I mean I want to upload it and use it but do i have to set a port to it or anything after uplaoding it?
23 Nov, 2006, Skol wrote in the 11th comment:
You'll probably want to read the Rom FAQ before going, it has a pretty much step by step approach to starting your first MUD.

http://www.hypercube.org/tess/rom/

Click on the FAQ first, read it from front to back. Then, read the startup questions link.

Have fun :D
23 Nov, 2006, Kratos wrote in the 12th comment:
this is not my first mud i just need to know how to change the port so i can use it.
23 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
Having not used quickmud myself, I can't tell you for sure, check it's documentation, it's bound to be fairly simple.
23 Nov, 2006, Omega wrote in the 14th comment:
edit startup in the area directory and change the port number, it'll look something like this
../src/rom <some number> change the number :)
25 Nov, 2006, Skol wrote in the 15th comment:
Where it's not your first mud… it seems certainly to be the first mud you've set up.
Read the FAQ's man. Trust me, there's quite a bit of information to be found there.
Setting your port is one of the first things a new mud admin learns to do.

check startup, and comm.c, but for the love of god, read those FAQ's.
26 Nov, 2006, Omega wrote in the 16th comment:
I agree completely with that statement, read the faqs, 90% of the diku-derivs do port management in comm.c, so read that aswell, and if the mud has a list, like romlist, where you can view peoples bug-fixes and code helps, i recommend reading those too, you would not believe how much problems you can solve by reading those lists.

And if you can't code, hire someone :)
26 Nov, 2006, Tyche wrote in the 17th comment:
Kratos said:
I been hearing you can do it using putty by using different commands to compress it. That way you dont have to use a FTP client. Like you need the download source and then you need to compress it using a command in putty but im not sure hwo to do it.

puTTY is a telnet/ssh client but not an ftp client. You use it to log into a shell on the server where you can invoke commands and programs. The unix commands to archive and compress files are tar, gzip, and bzip. There are commands called man and info, which display help information about a command. (i.e. man tar).

I assume your own computer is Windows. Windows has a both telnet and ftp clients. The builtin ftp client is quite usable for the purpose of transferring files.
0.0/17