14 Apr, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 281st comment:
Votes: 0
Davion said:
Ok! So! Wow :P One little post leads to 3 more pages.

Do you mean it leads past 3 pages, or more than page 3, or…?

Davion said:
Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a huge war or anything; this is supposed to help the community, not segregate it more

I'm confident that we can just be reasonable, cooperate, and muddle
through this thing in a way that is long-run positive for our hobby.

In the meantime, a little drama is to be expected from folks around
here. After all, drama is the nitro of the mudosphere.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
14 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 282nd comment:
Davion said:
Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a huge war or anything; this is supposed to help the community, not segregate it more :S. Besides, really, the way the crawler and the variables work, anyone can add their own variables with their own values, by simply adding to their implementation of MSSP, we don't ignore variables that aren't on our list. I'd say, consider the fields listed to be a guideline to get the process started, no reason to be required to stick to a set list of variables/values when it's in such an open format.

I'll separate the variables from my spec with the ones provided by MudBytes members, which should make the whole thing less confusing, and will also avoid incompatibilities since people seem to enjoy randomly changing things without discussion. I added a plaintext version of the MSSP protocol to the specification some weeks ago that is very compatible with the telnet version with two muds having implemented it so far. I think that's solid enough for kiasyn to work with.
14 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 283rd comment:
Tyche said:
Zeno wrote a snippet for Smaug and you aren't implementing it, because you want plain text because it would be easier to write, but you haven't written it yet?
Hmm… confused.

*grins* I think it's the 6 year old internet mentality where what one does not know, one does not eat.
14 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 284th comment:
Davion said:
As for which style of communication, ATM, our bot only uses the telnet negotiation style, and seeing as I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to ruby, it'll remain that way till you guys pester Kiasyn to do it ;)

If Kiasyn doesn't feel like working on this (as he has alluded to already) I'm sure that somebody in the community would be happy to write it up. Incidentally why do you need to use Ruby? (And what language would be better?)
14 Apr, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 285th comment:
Cratylus said:
Davion said:
Ok! So! Wow :P One little post leads to 3 more pages.

Do you mean it leads past 3 pages, or more than page 3, or…?

Thank you, Cratylus. I feel so much better now knowing that my desire for clarity is a source of humor for you. Jackass.
14 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 286th comment:
Hanaisse said:
There's still an open thread of (IMHO) a perfectly viable suggestion regarding existing information displayed on mud listing sites.

I guess I forgot to respond to it, "NEWBIE FRIENDLY" is one of those variables that has an undefined interpretation, so I didn't add it to the official variables because I want to keep that list as short and non-ambiguous as possible.

Given nobody objected I went ahead and added it to the mudbytes mssp fields article.
14 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 287th comment:
I seem to recall that the discussion wasn't really finished.
14 Apr, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 288th comment:
Hmm
14 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 289th comment:
David Haley said:
I seem to recall that the discussion wasn't really finished.

I vaguely remember some comments about the newbie variable. As it is, roughly 90% of all muds consider themselves newbie friendly, so it might be worth the trouble to dig up that thread and see if something can be worked out.
14 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 290th comment:
The thread was linked to just a few posts ago… here's the link again. The main problem is what exactly "newbie friendly" means, because indeed very few people would actively claim to be unfriendly to newbies in general.
14 Apr, 2009, Pedlar wrote in the 291st comment:
I'm not newbie friendly
15 Apr, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 292nd comment:
My game is decidedly newbie-hostile.
280.0/292