12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I wanted to expand my play by posts and set it in the chaos galaxy, much like the astral plane, full of gates and portals that jump time and space, some more permanent than others. In this part of chaotic galaxy would be a tavern floating in the ether, this tavern would be considered a merc HQ of sorts..

I would like for Mud Owners to be able to come here or send a message and put their "world" on the astral map. Not that I have an actual location on the map to put it (tho' I could), but more for their permission. The Mud owners could then send for "merc work" from the mercs and characters who hang around the merc bar for tasks and jobs in their "home world". I figured this would help for MUDs needing players and maybe other muds who wanted to do an event even..no money is involved, just RP, art and promo.

We also have some producers/artists in the group as well. If any MUD owners would like to mix some media with their games then we would be open to that. We also have other projects that may be an option for them in the future. Such as newsletters, film, broadcasts..if anyone is interested feel free to let me know. feedback is welcome.

jhypsimusicflows@yahoo.com
12 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
What exactly is the proposal here? To have a MUD that acts as a central hub for other MUDs to advertise?
12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 3rd comment:
No it would be more of a play by post with that interacted with online games with kinda an interactive media studio of sorts. I see it as a tool of promotion more than advertising.

The banner at the top of the page here would be more like an ad..
12 Apr, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 4th comment:
I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

-Crat
12 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Sorry, I don't understand either. I'll need more precise explanations than "more of a", "kinda", "of sorts" in order to understand what exactly it is you're trying to do. :smile: What is it that you're proposing, both from a functional perspective (what is it) and from an intentional perspective (what are you trying to do with it)?
12 Apr, 2009, Dean wrote in the 6th comment:
For a moment, I thought I had a clue as to what he his proposing, then I realised I was drunk and that I had no idea what so ever.
12 Apr, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 7th comment:
"Play by post" is roleplay on a forum.
12 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 8th comment:
What he means is he's running a play-by-post (PBP), otherwise known as forum RP. Part of the setting of the PBP is a tavern in some kind of interdimensional nexus where mercenaries hang out, these mercenaries being the players. Sometimes a mud owner could send a 'message' to this tavern, probably in the form of a forum post, I imagine it something like this:

A vampire walks into the tavern, and throws his dark cloak over his shoulder. He casts a stormy glance over the crowd. "If you lot aren't afraid of transcendinginto a supernaturalpower, I might have a job for you….

godwars2.org

etc.

eta: Sandi in before my verbosity. ;D

etaa: I forgot to say what I really meant to say here – I think this is an awesome idea. Why haven't muds and PBP games united long ago?
12 Apr, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 9th comment:
Ah! So not a mud then, a forum thread thing! I actually had not
understood that part. I thought he was talking about a mud that did this thing.

Well lookit, RP makes me barf. I'm not opposed to you people doing
whatever it is you people do, but maybe there could be a separate board
for this kind of stuff so that normals don't get confused.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
12 Apr, 2009, Dean wrote in the 10th comment:
My initial thoughts were that it might of been forum role-play, but it did very much seem like he was talking about a MUD that did this thing, hence the confusion.
12 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
I don't "get it". I see the appeal of RP on a MUD, but I have to admit that I'm a little confused as to what the target audience or in general what the goal is here.
12 Apr, 2009, Dean wrote in the 12th comment:
In my experiences, forum role-play is pretty much without rules or boundaries with the usual exception of theme. A MUD with role-play has rules and stricter guidelines that must be followed, which doesn't appeal to your average forum RPer. (Again, in my experiences anyway) At this point I would assume the goal would be to try and get your traditional forum RPer to play MUDs, or just a meeting place for existing MUD players to check out advertisements from MUD admins to come play their game, just set out in a role-playing manner. (I'm leaning toward the latter here for being the goal of the OP)
12 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
What's confusing me is how this fits in to general MUDs – are they expected to play along with the role-play theme? Are there enough people who play MUDs and would be receptive to this forum RP? And how does "mixing media" like film and broadcasts fit into this?
12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 14th comment:
Idealiad..right on the head, awesome!

This is stage 1. Rather Simple.

-MUds would not have to change anything in their MUD to fit the forum theme. It could be as simple as the above message by Idealiad. Tho', the MUD might have a "surprise" waiting for the player, but it's not nessisary..though it could be more exciting to lead a player character to believe that there was. I think it has alot of potential.

Any mercs from the forum should observe the rules of the mud while in the mud. I guess there shall be laws in place that would blast them with the all powerful delete button upon their return to the merc bar should they fail to comply..even if it was really funny, because it would be wrong to exploit that :D

-I think the most important part is permission from the MUD owners.

-Media at this stage would be rather simple as well. Fan artists and artists from the MUDs are most welcome (once again with permission if they're Fan artists-Fan art meaning MUD related art), I would go as far to make a forum dedicated to develope their art. I think this will help develope their MUD and the Merc Bar and hopefully inspire some creative works.

I have some ideas for some simple media to start with such as a text based newsletter. I think it would be an ideal (at least fun) way to highlight some new developements/designs/art from within the MUD community. It would allow automatic response from players wanting to try something new, playtest a new quest, zone, race.

I think pixel art and other graphics would be neat as well. Especially if edited into a electronic magazine format, I have one in mind but that for a later stage.

These are plans for later stages:

Experienced Mercs might even be able to establish a relationship with a MUD to fulfil a role that the AI is incapable of..but that's also a later stage.

I have hopes for the developement of a flash terminal, but that's a much later stage..now ya know I'm crazy. FPS MMOs may try and get together to assasinate us at this stage, but I we would want to encourage that.

Anyway that's stage 1 and some other ideas for possible future endeavers. The only thing that confuses me is fear..this probrably isn't a project for the timid ;)
12 Apr, 2009, Dean wrote in the 15th comment:
From that, what I understand is; person A sees ad placed by MUD B. Person A goes to play a role on MUD B for short amount of time, then leaves MUD B to seek out another role. It seems to me that this'd be a method that would be suited to traditional forum RPers I suppose. It could be just me though; but I'm pretty sure must MUDs want their players to stick around, not come in and play a temporary role then ride off into the sunset like a hired gun. :thinking:
12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 16th comment:
Dean said:
From that, what I understand is; person A sees ad placed by MUD B. Person A goes to play a role on MUD B for short amount of time, then leaves MUD B to seek out another role. It seems to me that this'd be a method that would be suited to traditional forum RPers I suppose. It could be just me though; but I'm pretty sure must MUDs want their players to stick around, not come in and play a temporary role then ride off into the sunset like a hired gun. :thinking:

I know stage 1 might not appeal to everyone and I respect opinions and preferences. I'd like to be honest and say I just want to start this slow and simple and see where it goes. It's all rather dependent on the individual MUD owners as far as worlds available. Some may just be open to some art or RP to flesh things out or want to hope to find some new players to stick around. Other MUDs may be open to playerkill and frequent runs. Some muds are strictly role play enforced others simply don't care about rp. Some are newbie friendly and some chose not to be.

I can only imagine players being the same way. Some players may want a serious run with combat and/or diplomacy. Others may decide to stick around for a while..learn that their gun-toting mercenary ways are wrong and want to protect that world from other mercs. (what would machiavelli do?) There are endless possibilities, only limited by our imagination..

I believe if everyone didn't have different opinions, preferences and perspectives then this wouldn't work. I think if there was communication between mercs and muds, with rules and features laid out for the "job" then it should work nicely..and possibly make an interesting story.
12 Apr, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 17th comment:
Now for the rest of my post.

Jhypsy, I'd try M*U*S*H or OGRmush and see what responses you get there. Generally, MUSH RP is much closer to what your players are used to, and yes, most MUSHes are always looking for people to fill bit parts or crowd scenes. I had quite a career as a supporting actress on many MUSHes, it wasn't until I came over to MUDs that I became one character everywhere (Keriwena).

Myself, I find the MUD environment more conducive to hack and slash, so that's the target of my game. Roleplay is supported, simply because with my background it's second nature to do so, but I'm waiting for players to start something before I go further. However, if you have some folks who want to RP in a DIKUish setting with mobs to kill, EQ to find, levels to earn and quests to win, I'd be happy to help them get started in Tir na nOg.

I also have a MUSH lying fallow with a theme of independent movie making. Again, if you have folks that want to RP in real time, they can simply RP making a "movie" of whatever theme/plot they're playing now. And, there are no rules other than respect anyone else that happens to be there, so they can RP in any fashion they want to. Props and extra rooms are easy to make, there's a global bulletinboard, and they could write their own help files.
12 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
Others may decide to stick around for a while..learn that their gun-toting mercenary ways are wrong and want to protect that world from other mercs. (what would machiavelli do?) There are endless possibilities, only limited by our imagination..

Where is the line being drawn here between the player and the character?
12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 19th comment:
Sandi said:
Now for the rest of my post.

Jhypsy, I'd try M*U*S*H or OGRmush and see what responses you get there. Generally, MUSH RP is much closer to what your players are used to, and yes, most MUSHes are always looking for people to fill bit parts or crowd scenes. I had quite a career as a supporting actress on many MUSHes, it wasn't until I came over to MUDs that I became one character everywhere (Keriwena).

Myself, I find the MUD environment more conducive to hack and slash, so that's the target of my game. Roleplay is supported, simply because with my background it's second nature to do so, but I'm waiting for players to start something before I go further. However, if you have some folks who want to RP in a DIKUish setting with mobs to kill, EQ to find, levels to earn and quests to win, I'd be happy to help them get started in Tir na nOg.

I also have a MUSH lying fallow with a theme of independent movie making. Again, if you have folks that want to RP in real time, they can simply RP making a "movie" of whatever theme/plot they're playing now. And, there are no rules other than respect anyone else that happens to be there, so they can RP in any fashion they want to. Props and extra rooms are easy to make, there's a global bulletinboard, and they could write their own help files.

Even more awesome! Thank ya Sandi. The mush idea sounds to me like a whole new level of fascinating. I'd be interested in how builders are encouraged to build/write on them. Perhaps it would be better to have a spider merc representive introduce themselves to the fine nobles of the M*U*S*H* courts, personally ;)

If this meeting were broadcasted on the crystal ball (or a newletter)..would any of ya wanna watch it? :D
12 Apr, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 20th comment:
David Haley said:
Others may decide to stick around for a while..learn that their gun-toting mercenary ways are wrong and want to protect that world from other mercs. (what would machiavelli do?) There are endless possibilities, only limited by our imagination..

Where is the line being drawn here between the player and the character?

I'm not sure exactly what ya mean by that. The player would abide by the rules of the mud while in the mud and the rules of the merc bar while in the merc bar. The MUSH rules while in the MUSH.and anything agreed inbetween. Established rules in mu*s may vary and should be observed, including any laws, liscenses and copyrights. (parodies are great!)
0.0/43