06 Apr, 2009, Ryanicus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey folks, my favorite hobby has been on hold a while but I recently came across a copy of MUD Game Programming by Ron Penton and I'm up to my ears once again. Unfortunately, the book is sans CD. I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the SimpleMUD, BetterMUD and whatever else is on the CD that they could upload. I was surprised not to find it in the repository since the code was GPL as far as I can tell. Anyway, it would make the book 10 times better if I could follow along with the actual code. This would make my day. Cheers.

-R
06 Apr, 2009, Ryanicus wrote in the 2nd comment:
I found the ebook listed at my local library and downloaded the CD content from there. Cheers folks.
06 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 3rd comment:
fyi, while it's a decent introduction to very basic MUD concepts, that book really sucks. Try not to take too many of its suggestions to heart. In general I HIGHLY recommend people to absolutely avoid anything published by LaMothe, the man is a ****ing idiot and the books he chooses to publish tend to reflect his lack of actual skill or taste. If you're looking for game-related books, always look for Charles River Media books. There's also another company that's very recently started to publish quality texts on games but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them.
06 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
(How does LaMothe fit into this picture? Is he an editor or something?)
06 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 5th comment:
((He used to write game programming books, and then formed his own company and got into editing/publishing. He doesn't serve as editor for all the books he publishes, but he does for many of them. All I know is that the people he chooses to publish suck as much as he does.))
06 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
(((Let's not write too much Lisp here.)))
What I meant is that I didn't realize he was an editor for the book – the Amazon page has a 'FAIL' moment here. You have to actually look at the book cover image to see that he's the editor.
0.0/6