01 Nov, 2006, Splork wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I just received this from my hosting company ….

eSecureData.com is proud and excited to announce that we are ready to move to our new-from-the-concrete-up Central City Data Center, easily the best data center in the dedicated server business. The new data center will
allow us to house many thousands of servers, and will remove all of our space and bandwidth limitations. Our bandwidth will be quadrupling, and we have deployed what is, by far, the best power system in the dedicated server business. We'll be posting details and pictures of our systems on our website soon.

Since we are already a customer, Sloth will be moving to the new data center but I'm sure there is room for others:-)

http://esecuredata.com/default.aspx

Check out this company if you are in need. You are not going to find better a service or price anywhere on the net(at least that we found).

Splork
02 Nov, 2006, Vladaar wrote in the 2nd comment:
They appear to be very expensive, compared to other servers I have seen.
02 Nov, 2006, Splork wrote in the 3rd comment:
A dedicated server that costs 50$ a month that is:
p4 3.0
2048 RAM
200 HD
1000 Bandwidth

Care to share the servers you have seen that compare to this price and machine?

Splork
02 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
It should be clarified that the $49 price is only if you pay a year in advance. Most truly dedicated mud admins can probably afford the $50/month, but the pricing plans make it sound like you have to plunk down the entire $588 in one payment for the whole year right at sign up. That's a serious chunk of money for a hobbiest admin to put down.

If you then move down to the monthly payment plan, you get the more realistic price most people pay:

$59/mo + $199 setup
(You pay $258 the first month, then $59/month)

Even $59/month is affordable for those muds who have grown large enough to require it, but that $199 setup fee is a serious turn off. Even though I could easily afford this I'd pass on principle. Professional hosts at this level should have scripts that automate things so much the cost of "setup" is unjustified.
02 Nov, 2006, Splork wrote in the 5th comment:
Good points but I would imagine most successful hobbyist muds can afford the lump sum payment. Although I could be way off base on that since I only know Sloth and I certainly judge most things off of our game…

Splork
02 Nov, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 6th comment:
i cant! however if you're willing to donate ;)
03 Nov, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 7th comment:
In my experience muds don't use anywhere near that kind of usage…

Just get hosted by genesismuds…

If you're looking for a server this might b a good deal, but I wouldn't do it for a mud.
03 Nov, 2006, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
Samson said:
It should be clarified that the $49 price is only if you pay a year in advance. Most truly dedicated mud admins can probably afford the $50/month, but the pricing plans make it sound like you have to plunk down the entire $588 in one payment for the whole year right at sign up. That's a serious chunk of money for a hobbiest admin to put down.

If you then move down to the monthly payment plan, you get the more realistic price most people pay:

$59/mo + $199 setup
(You pay $258 the first month, then $59/month)

Even $59/month is affordable for those muds who have grown large enough to require it, but that $199 setup fee is a serious turn off. Even though I could easily afford this I'd pass on principle. Professional hosts at this level should have scripts that automate things so much the cost of "setup" is unjustified.

Haha. What setup fee? :P

From an email they sent me:
It really doesn't matter as, when we resume sales in a week, there will
be no more setup fees. :)

Regards,
eSecureData.com Sales Team
03 Nov, 2006, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
I couldn't afford that $60/month either, let alone $588/year in a lump sum. :sad:
03 Nov, 2006, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
Ah, well if they're abolishing the setup fees then that does make it a far more attractive offer. Would fall under the realm of a good replacement for a VPS when you get too big for it.
03 Nov, 2006, Splork wrote in the 11th comment:
Sloth is rather unique. The same individuals have run the game for almost its entire lifespan(15+ years). Even the man whom first created Sloth is back with us. So when the time comes to anti up, we split the costs between 4-6 people. Its quite comforting knowing that no one person is responsible for such a large sum.
Oddly enough, we actually pay a separate host to deal with our website and the issues that arise from that.

As for our machine, there are times when we use quite a bit(maybe quarter/half) of it's resources. We always have our regular game running and a builder's port but their are occasions when we also have a chaos port(pk) running, a coder's port, and a test mud going. Thats basically five muds running simultaneously.

Babbling now, sorry,
Splork
0.0/11