24 Mar, 2009, Vassi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I was checking out this CMS called Silverstripe that I've been hearing about and I'm having some trouble getting it to run on Windows + Apache + MySql + PhP (Wamp, I know :P) So I go to the forum and complainwrite a thorough post about my problems and I see a link to this: http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/d...

mind. blown.

So the platform installer will install IIS - with as many features as you could need, SQL Express + the management studio and the absolute latest version of PHP. It also gives you all the ASP.NET goodies like the just-about-to-be-official MVC framework.

The cherry on top is that when its done with that it will install Drupal, Silverstripe, Wordpress, DotNetNuke, and a selection of other apps for you.

I realize I'm gushing a little bit but it's always been such a pain to setup a web platform with IIS, not to mention that IIS used to be much more restricted as to its installation and configuration. With Mono's 2.2 release being an almost feature complete implementation of the ASP.NET stuff it feels like I can finally start to seriously contemplate leaving PHP behind. Even developing on Linux is becoming a defunct question, with MonoDevelop 2.0 being almost complete (and compatible with Visual Studio 2008 Solution and Project files. Throw in Silverlight\Moonlight with MS offering their WMA\WMV codecs for free to unix users and you've pretty much rounded out the deal.

When Silverlight was first announced I knew Microsoft was making a major play for the online space but I didn't realize how aggresively they were doing it until now. I feel like being a Microsoft developer is (almost) something I won't have to feel dirty about. <facetiousness/>
0.0/1