21 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I know now a days when folks see a new Dragonball mud starting, they roll their eyes and move on, and its no surprise. Most of the Clones of the DBS code pretty much just add areas and move on, not really doing anything special with the code. If you've played Saga or any of its many clones in the past and enjoyed it, come on over to Dragonball Revolt. Started out of the need to leave a wilting enviroment, 4 imms took the best of the clones and created a new beast. So check us out. Yes we're a clone, but we're proud of it. dragonballrevolt.genesismuds.com:6969. Also we're on the lookout for experienced coders and builders. Our staff has both, but we could always use the fresh blood.
21 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
Just thought I'd let ya know, running a clone is fine as long as you make additions and changes to it. If it remains the same as stock for too long then nobody will want to play it because there are plenty of muds running the stock code out there. It can be stock for a little while, but make sure you're constantly updating it. Make a help file or changes command that lists all the MAJOR changes. Major as in not typo corrections or anything like that, just new skills, new races, new areas, whatever. This is an easy way to let the players know that you are constantly under development, and is a good way to get them to stay.

Also, as a side note, I hope you're advertising in other places as well as here cause if you're advertising just here you're not likely to get many players. This is a developer heavy community, and as such most people here are not players, but host their own games. That makes this the perfect place for you to come if you ever have any questions or need any help with anything related to game development. Welcome to Mudbytes.net, hope to see more posts from you in the future.
21 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 3rd comment:
Oh indeed we're advertising elsewhere. And we are making more changes. Myself and the guys that started up with me, really got tired of things getting stagnant where we were at. Bugs were just sitting there not getting fixed, Imms cheating, help files not getting updated, skills not working right, you know the fun stuff. And lo and behold we decide that we can do better. So with some help from my friends, we cleared out the major bugs affecting gameplay in about 48 hrs. Within a week it seemed like a whole new mud. But yeah we have been on a constant roll when it comes to upgrades, updates, and new features. But thats also where posting up here comes from. I have two guys that can dabble and maybe fix a syntax error, then there's myself, I'm slightly more dangerous than a script kiddy with a brand new C++ book. But some of the changes we want to make will take more than my paltry skills I'm managed to retain over the years. I'm brushing up and getting better everyday but I'm mainly here, to one seek advice when needed and two to maybe find a coder thats willing to implement the things I just really am having issues with. But thanks for reading and for the advice.
21 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
Glad to hear all you did all that debugging, I'm unsure whether there is some sort of bug list for the dbz code, but maybe you and your friends would be willing to put together a list of all your bug fixes and post it here somewhere for future dbz admins.

As for the the need for a coder, I'd offer my assistance but I'm currently very busy being the only coder for my own game, plus I've never played the dbz mud nor have I ever watched any episodes of the show except half of one episode back in it's 1st season. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors though, and hope you find a coder who can help.

If you don't mind me asking, where else did you advertise? Maybe someone here can offer suggestions for more places for you to advertise.
21 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 5th comment:
I have put up a listing on TMC, TMS, and on findmud. If you or anyone else knows of some better places to do so. By all means give me a shout.
21 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
TMC says "World is mostly original".

Glancing over the areas command, most of them (if not all) seem to be stock. Am I missing something?
21 Mar, 2009, Dean wrote in the 7th comment:
Maybe they are planning to see to it that the stock areas no longer remain in the near future?
21 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
The listing should be accurate for the current content. If the "near future" happens, that is when they should change to "World is mostly original".
21 Mar, 2009, Dean wrote in the 9th comment:
I know that Zeno, but I figured I would give my nice assumption rather than the other I had in mind. :devil:
21 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 10th comment:
The most of the areas aren't stock from the DBS codebase. They have been added to and expanded, or otherwise altered to fit the context of the game. Granted there are areas that exist from the previous code base. But the additional areas we have differ greatly.
22 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 11th comment:
The most of the areas aren't stock from the DBS codebase.

I don't know what you consider "most", but out of your 43 areas total, 22 are the same name and author from stock Saga and that is more than 50%. There are also one or two other areas (Zetsuei's Tomb by Ranmyaku) that appear to be from another DBSaga codebase and appear on other MUDs.

TMC notes "At least 51% of the areas in the mud are from a stock or existing codebase." is to be "Mostly Stock".

But you mean you've made modifications to those stock areas?
22 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 12th comment:
Correct changes have been made to what you are calling stock areas, that make them virtually new areas. We have different mobs, progs, and what not. We decided to keep the original authors names out of respect. Again, I'm sure you probably see similar things happen all the time in regards to DBS clones, so I'm not taking any offensive from this. If you feel that something is out of place, by all means let me know and I will try to explain. Or you could take the time to poke around our mud more, instead of just logging on and checking the areas list.
22 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 13th comment:
I did a look at a few areas such as CoU (only saw 2 new rooms), Satan City looked the same, South City seems as small as it ever was. I don't think a few new rooms in each area would constitute as non-stock. If the area was redone or like doubled in size, it would probably be no longer considered stock. But adding a few mobs/items/rooms to the area wouldn't seem like it.

Hopefully no one takes offense from this, as I don't mean any. Just trying to understand this before it ends in audit on TMC.

Do you consider the stock areas "differ greatly" or are "slightly modified"?
22 Mar, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 14th comment:
I'd also recommend listing at a site called MudGamers. They have an in-browser flash client that can connect to your MUD straight from the browser, if you list there.
22 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 15th comment:
Don't forget to install MSSP!

-Crat
22 Mar, 2009, Karten wrote in the 16th comment:
Evidently even though there have been changes made to additional areas other than the one you listed, Zeno being on the TMC website, and mentioning an audit, I altered the listing so as to not ruffle anyones feathers. I maintain my stance though. But you can hold whatever outlook you wish. There are areas that haven't been touched but others that differ greatly.
0.0/16