20 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, I went to compile my mud and got the following message which makes no sense to me.

–> Compiling file: act_comm.c <–
cc1: No space left on device: error writing to /tmp/cceyQQxa.s
make: *** [obj/act_comm.o] Error 1

What the hell does this mean? I have no maximum on storage and my mud is only 106456 blocks.

[edit to add] I did some google searching and the only match that I came up with for that message was for a site that's in german or dutch or something. The rest of the matches are unrelated to my problem. If only I knew german.
20 Mar, 2009, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Pretty good chance it's telling you the drive where the /tmp folder is at is full. See if you can send the "df" command while in the shell. It'll give you the usage amounts on all the partitions and should reveal if one is at 100%.
20 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 1921156 1914480 0 100% /
tmpfs 1031788 0 1031788 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10240 84 10156 1% /dev
tmpfs 1031788 0 1031788 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda4 83847868 3104252 76484384 4% /home
/dev/sda3 1921188 897772 925824 50% /var

so how do I correct this?
20 Mar, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
Since /var is a seperate partition (/var/log and /var/tmp being potential culprits), and /home is also a seperate partition, I would guess that either you have a bunch of junk in /tmp, or you've upgraded kernels a few times.

If you have a bunch of old junk in /tmp, just nuke it.

If not…. check /lib/modules and see if you have multiple directories for multiple kernel versions there. If you do, you might be able to get ride of some of the older ones. Just be careful and do NOT mess with the one that matches the kernel you're running or very bad things will happen.
20 Mar, 2009, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
Uh. The problem doesn't seem to be with /var, it seems to be with /dev/sda1 instead. That one is showing 100% usage. His error didn't say /var/tmp was full, it just said /tmp which I'd assume not to be in /var which still has 50% space left.

And since I can't keep track of who is hosted where, poking around in places like that without permission is hazardous to your account :)
20 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
uh that and I'm not the admin of this server, I don't have permissions for those directories, nor can I even see them. So basically I have to wait for the server admin to wake up?

Oh yeah and even if I did have permissions, I wouldn't do any of what quix suggested since I know absolutely nothing about kernels.
20 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
You would never delete old kernels by going in there and manually deleting files; you would use the package manager instead. But yeah, you're not the admin, so… you can't do anything about that. Maybe you can delete some of the files in /tmp if they belong to you, but otherwise, you need to wait for the admin to fix things.
21 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
Can't even access any directory other than my own directory. Evileyehosting is good about protecting you from other people on the server. And they got it fixed for me while I slept so everything is fine now, thanks for informing me that it wasn't something on my end, that allowed me to not worry about it when I had to go home.
0.0/8