13 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I recall someone mentioning this host in the past, and as I may be forced to find a new host to continue development I figured I'd look into them. Aside from wondering if they're trustworthy and any good, I have a primary question: Do they have GCC version 4.3 or higher installed on their server(s)? If someone can verify for me if they do or do not have that available, I would greatly appreciate it. I could simply ask them directly, of course, but I figure this route is likely to be much faster.

:thinking:
13 Mar, 2009, Korax wrote in the 2nd comment:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
13 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 3rd comment:
Korax said:
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

…I see. Thanks. :sad:
13 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
If you're asking because of that __COUNTER__ macro, it might be worth investigating if you really need it…
13 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 5th comment:
David Haley said:
If you're asking because of that __COUNTER__ macro, it might be worth investigating if you really need it…

Well, I suppose I'll answer your earlier question then. There are actually a number of systems that I want to make use of that macro in; I'll only be describing one for now for the sake of example. Currently, I've been working on finding ways to further improve the LIST system I have, which is based on the former list system that came with stock Socketmud. Aside from locking it down such that it is as safe as I can possibly make it, I've also been trying to make it easier to use. The main drawback of the system is the setup involved in running a loop.

For instance, before the latest changes I've made in the last day or so, the setup was like this:
1) Define an iterator.
2) Set up the iterator and do some preliminary list stuff.
3) Loop through the list's elements until (etc).
4) 'End' the loop properly by finishing up the iterator.

In exact code from how this looked yesterday, it could look something like this:
EXAMPLE *thing; // The data type the list contains. Used to step through the loop.
ITERATOR( iter ); // Macro creating an iterator named iter.
start_loop( iter, some_list ); // Set up the iterator to loop through some list.
while( ( thing = Next( iter ) ) ) // Grabs the next valid element in the list, until the end (null).
{
(stuff)
}
end_loop( iter ); // Finishes the iterator, and performs some pruning on the list if possible.

It's ugly as sin, but it's safe, and that's what is the most important to me. However, having to repeat those steps every time, as well as set up each loop only in particular ways such that every escape point properly clears things gets a bit bothersome; I especially imagine to someone new to trying to use the code it could be a real pain.

However, thanks to what I've found out regarding GCC's variable attribute system, I've been able to compress things down to one line; such that the loop can be used much in the way that a for/while/etc loop can. There's a variable attribute they have called cleanup, which essentially makes it possible to define a function to call when a local variable goes out of scope (yes, I'm aware that any number of OO or OO-ish languages already have that or something like it; especially C++. However, as I've stated before I'm sticking with C for now, so it's the next best thing).

Anyhow, using that and changing the while loop to a for loop, I can define the iterator as a local variable to the loop itself and have the cleanup function perform the list-end stuff automatically whenever and wherever the loop happens to end (i.e, the iterator goes out of scope, triggering the function call). For readability and usability, I've wrapped up the for loop into a macro that then allows the loops to work something like:

EXAMPLE *thing;
loop_list( iter, some_list, thing )
{
(stuff)
}

Haven't decided on the exact name I want to use for the macro or the order of the arguments, but that's irrelevant at the moment. The main problem I come across now with this, is that I can't nest these loops if I try to have the macro omit the iterator variable and instead create it automatically with a unique name. Under the above setup, the iterator name has to be given every time. However, if I had the __COUNTER__ macro, I could then safely omit the iterator argument and let it handle that under the hood without it presenting an issue to nesting as each loop would be given its own uniquely-named iterator to use.

Anyhow, that's the current problem, in a nutshell.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention that goes along with the last paragraph is that using __LINE__ instead of __COUNTER__ to generate a unique variable name only works so long as the loop is in normal code. If I try to have a macro with loops inside it, all of the code is put onto one line; causing the names of any and all loop iterators inside it to be the same, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.
13 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
Evileyehosting has 4.3.2 installed, I think zeno might have it installed, can't remember if he left it as 4.3.2 or reverted back to a lower version or not.
13 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 7th comment:
Igabod said:
Evileyehosting has 4.3.2 installed, I think zeno might have it installed, can't remember if he left it as 4.3.2 or reverted back to a lower version or not.

No, Zeno upgraded to verson 4.2.3 from 3.something, and as he stated back when he upgraded it he won't go any higher than what Slackware's current release has available which is now 4.2.4 (it was only at 4.2.3 at the time).

As for Evil eye hosting, I'm not completely discounting that service as a possibility, but in all honesty I don't have much confidence in it after seeing how the owner tends to conduct himself.
13 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
well for one, that's not the owner, he's the admin in charge of everything web related. The owner is kind of the silent type, he sticks mainly to keeping the server running as far as I know. The owner's name is Michael, you should get in touch with him through the evileyehosting website forms. Banner is actually a good guy, he just tends to take criticism as attacks, and after the way he was attacked on the first post he made here I don't really blame him. He's pretty knowledgeable about running a server and he's always been extremely helpful to me with any problems I've had. Even at 3 in the morning he's been available to help me out. You really can't judge him by his posts on here since he's on the defense due to the attacks before. I've had several conversations with him over AIM and haven't seen any signs that he's not reliable. Give banner a chance and you'll see that he's a good guy who just has a habit of not posting the perfect advertisements.
13 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 9th comment:
Igabod said:
well for one, that's not the owner, he's the admin in charge of everything web related. The owner is kind of the silent type, he sticks mainly to keeping the server running as far as I know. The owner's name is Michael, you should get in touch with him through the evileyehosting website forms. Banner is actually a good guy, he just tends to take criticism as attacks, and after the way he was attacked on the first post he made here I don't really blame him. He's pretty knowledgeable about running a server and he's always been extremely helpful to me with any problems I've had. Even at 3 in the morning he's been available to help me out. You really can't judge him by his posts on here since he's on the defense due to the attacks before. I've had several conversations with him over AIM and haven't seen any signs that he's not reliable.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

EDIT:
Igabod said:
Give banner a chance and you'll see that he's a good guy who just has a habit of not posting the perfect advertisements.

They're fine, but some people seem to not think so for whatever reason. I don't care either way, really. It's not like I'm paid to sit at a keyboard at 3am answering questions out of the kindness of my heart.
13 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 10th comment:
They are fine for the most part, there has only been one time I've noticed something that should have been corrected and that was the last one. People here are kinda picky though and tend to find problems with everything. In all honesty, I've never once seen an ad that was perfect by the standards of the people that frequent this forum.

And please do take it as a compliment, I have nothing bad to say about you personally or as an admin.
13 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 11th comment:
Igabod said:
They are fine for the most part, there has only been one time I've noticed something that should have been corrected and that was the last one. People here are kinda picky though and tend to find problems with everything. In all honesty, I've never once seen an ad that was perfect by the standards of the people that frequent this forum.

And we never will, unfortunately.

Igabod said:
And please do take it as a compliment, I have nothing bad to say about you personally or as an admin.

Well, that makes about two people on this forum. ;)
13 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 12th comment:
As it is, I am not probably as 'high quality' or 'free mud hosting that doesn't suck' as evileyehosting is, but my server also has 4.3 and I'll put in anything you need me too. I have just a couple muds on there right now and have about 11 free gigs (for mud server/html…pretty much anything). There aren't any set limits (but try to be reasonable) to what you can use as long as you don't hog other people's resources, which an owner has had a startup script try and start a server about 80,000 times. That has been corrected now.

This is my first time owning a server and learning Ubuntu, but so far I believe things are going smoothly. Just being honest about my newbieness to the Server world.

We have the latest python, ruby, valgrind, gcc (old versions as well), g++(old versions as well), gdb, and java running on the server. And if you need any other packages I can install them for use. Just putting that out there.
13 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 13th comment:
tphegley said:
As it is, I am not probably as 'high quality' or 'free mud hosting that doesn't suck' as evileyehosting is

Seriously, drop it. It's just a signature, it doesn't mean anything. Obviously you were offended by it so I'll change it, but you've got to stop treating any MUD host that isn't 'he who must not be named's' as if it's shit. And by "you" I mean the community.

And let me point out that I was having a friendly conversation with Igabod before EvilEye was attacked again by another MUD host. Oh, this is so all in my head. At least the forum agrees with me, right forum? Right?!
13 Mar, 2009, Davion wrote in the 14th comment:
Whoa… that's an attack now? There must be some deeper meaning, or a very inside joke involved with this, because I just don't see it. A good heads up though Banner. MudBytes is probably not the best place to advertise. I'm sure 99.9% of our users have some form of hosting already.

Also, most forums have a horrible click-through ratio. Most of the people will take you at face value when reading your post, and if you don't post absolutely 100% correct information, you'll get corrected. This isn't an attack (nor have I seen one yet in this thread…) It's called criticism. You don't really seem to take it to well. If you can't, then I would ask for you to simply stop posting. Have a look through our advertising forum and see that a lot of the replies in that thread involve opinions to the OP's post. If nothing it makes some people better advertisers. Don't take everything said here personally. But honestly, after the last time, I'd think you'd learn all this. It seems you don't really absorb anything on your visits here. It's almost like you -want- to have people "attack" you :S.
13 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 15th comment:
Banner said:
Seriously, drop it. It's just a signature, it doesn't mean anything. Obviously you were offended by it so I'll change it, but you've got to stop treating any MUD host that isn't 'he who must not be named's' as if it's shit. And by "you" I mean the community.

And let me point out that I was having a friendly conversation with Igabod before EvilEye was attacked again by another MUD host. Oh, this is so all in my head. At least the forum agrees with me, right forum? Right?!

I'm sorry Banner for upsetting you as I really did not mean to do that. I found it funny (as in laughing ha, not hate your site ha) that that link was in your signature. That's pretty much it. When I said high quality, I do believe your site and your service to be higher quality because in the past you have stated that the guy who runs the server has a lot of experience with servers. I don't. Therefore his service is probably much better high quality than mine is.

I don't believe I have said anything bad about EvilEyeHosting and I'm really not one to get bent out of shape about 'some other hosting company' taking my spotlight.

When dealing with programmers, you deal with their quirks and a lot of the time their quirks are prefectionistic and sarcastic, which judging from your posts, you have seen that. We all have our quirks. That's what you will find here. Programmers strive to be perfect and are very nitpicky of their own code/posts as well as others. That's just how they are.
13 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 16th comment:
tphegley said:
I'm sorry Banner for upsetting you as I really did not mean to do that. I found it funny (as in laughing ha, not hate your site ha) that that link was in your signature. That's pretty much it. When I said high quality, I do believe your site and your service to be higher quality because in the past you have stated that the guy who runs the server has a lot of experience with servers. I don't. Therefore his service is probably much better high quality than mine is.

I don't believe I have said anything bad about EvilEyeHosting and I'm really not one to get bent out of shape about 'some other hosting company' taking my spotlight.

When dealing with programmers, you deal with their quirks and a lot of the time their quirks are prefectionistic and sarcastic, which judging from your posts, you have seen that. We all have our quirks. That's what you will find here. Programmers strive to be perfect and are very nitpicky of their own code/posts as well as others. That's just how they are.

Patronization now. Awesome.

tphegley said:
As it is, I am not probably as 'high quality' or 'free mud hosting that doesn't suck' as evileyehosting is,

Davion said:
This isn't an attack (nor have I seen one yet in this thread…) It's called criticism.

That is criticism? Enlighten me as to how that is improving anything. You said that's what it was, so let's hear it. I'm ready to learn as to how his criticism is helping me.

Davion said:
MudBytes is probably not the best place to advertise. I'm sure 99.9% of our users have some form of hosting already.

… Obviously. I post adverts in other places as well, why not post it on the other board I frequent? At any rate, most of EvilEye's users come from Mudbytes. *shrug*

Davion said:
But honestly, after the last time, I'd think you'd learn all this. It seems you don't really absorb anything on your visits here. It's almost like you -want- to have people "attack" you :S.

I have a hard time learning anything when I'm surrounded by a mob.
13 Mar, 2009, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:
You're a very unreasonable man… I like Michael better. Have him advertise for you guys here… it would be much appreciated ;).
13 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 18th comment:
That's what I thought.
13 Mar, 2009, Dean wrote in the 19th comment:
First off, there was no patronization in any shape or form in tphelegy's post, humility would be a better word. Secondly, as far as criticism is concerned, it is ultimately up to you what you do with it, the critiser really cannot tell you how it should improve things, if you are unwilling to listen in the first place (or in this case perceive an attack where there is none). However, it is something that you are really meant to absorb and figure out for yourself.

Of course, you could always just ignore the criticism and not learn anything from it. That's your choice. It seems to me that either you're paranoid and perceive attacks when there is none or you get extremely bent out of shape when receiving a little criticism.
13 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 20th comment:
Banner said:
Patronization now. Awesome.

I don't even understand you attitude. Seriously. You thought that was patronizing?

This is kid gloves. You're being really really oversensitive, yet the responses
to it have been reasonable, careful, and well-intentioned. To a fault, imo.

Lobotomy is wary because he saw you overreact. You are now overreacting. How
does this help you?

Your treatment in this thread has been gracious and reasonable. You are responding
to that in exactly the wrong way. I'm not sure what Internet you're accustomed to, but
your expectations seem completely distorted.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
0.0/28