12 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
100% free, no strings attached no hassle MUD host. Owners have years of experience in MUDs, programming, and administration. Free, easy, and no hassle. Visit our website and get set up today.

Package:
- 2.0% CPU Usage
- 2.0% MEM Usage
- 500 MB Disk Space
- 2 Ports
- Webspace (No cgi-bin)
- 1 Database (created upon request)
- 2 Emails (created upon request)

Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 @ 800Mhz
Storage: 1200 GB Total Storage over 6 hard drives

Click forms, click sign up, sign up and enjoy. It's that simple.
http://www.evileyehosting.net
12 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Banner said:
Package:
- 2.0% CPU Usage
- 2.0% MEM Usage
- 500 MB Disk Space
- 2 Ports
- Webspace (No cgi-bin)
- 1 Database (created upon request)
- 2 Emails (created upon request)

Specs:

2% of 8g is about 160m. Is that what folks are allowed?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
12 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 3rd comment:
The MUD server is allocated 2g, and 2% of that is about 41mb, which is what people are allowed, which is what I said the last time you asked me.

You could have checked that yourself.
12 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 4th comment:
Banner said:
The MUD server is allocated 2g, and 2% of that is about 41mb, which is what people are allowed, which is what I said the last time you asked me.

You could have checked that yourself.

Banner, leaving out information like that in an advertisement - especially when mentioning the overall server specs right alongside allocation percentages - is misleading.
12 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
I think what crat is getting at is that you shouldn't mention the 8 gigs if that's not what's allocated to the mud server. It doesn't matter much to the user if there's 100 gigs on the server if it's not available to the user. Crat is only playing the part of the uninformed user and that's exactly what they'll think since the advertisement doesn't mention anything about only 25% of that 8 gigs being available. I don't think crat is trying to be rude or anything like that, he's just trying to point this out to you in his subtle way.
12 Mar, 2009, Banner wrote in the 6th comment:
I can't believe this is happening again. I'm not posting anymore, so you can stop now.

EDIT: But I'll point out that the information I mislead you into not having is available on the website on the same page where we point out that we allocate more than paid hosts. Now I'm done.
12 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Geez, people aren't trying to kill you, they're just pointing out that your ad is confusing. Yes, the information might be off over there in location XYZ, but we're looking at the ad here and now, which is why people are talking about the ad. No need to get all up in arms about it. I can't really believe that's happening again either :wink:
12 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
Hey don't take that as anything other than helpful advice, I'm not knocking the service or anything. I've been using you guys for several months now and have received excellent service. I'm just trying to help you see what can only be noticed by a different perspective. I don't think cratylus is trying to attack either. We're not saying you intentionally mislead people either, it's just one of those things that happens. I understand that you're trying to give the specs of the server and all that, and that's all good. The user will likely assume that all 8 gigs is allocated to the mud server though. And yes, all the important details are available on the website, but that's not the first place people will see the info when you advertise on a forum.

I would suggest only one addition to your original post here.

Specs:

should be changed to

Specs:
RAM: 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 @ 800Mhz (2 gigs for the mud server)

I seriously don't think anybody is trying to attack you, we're trying to help you post the most accurate information in your advert. With accurate info you're more likely to get customers. If they see one thing in the advert and a different thing on the website, they're likely to think you were lying in the advert, or that you are stupid. I know from firsthand experience talking to you that neither is the case, but not everybody is going to know this. Please don't take any of this personally. You should realize that I of all people am not attacking you and am only offering helpful advice.
12 Mar, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 9th comment:
Throwing a temper tantrum over nothing is very accurate and useful information to provide, though. It's what lets me know that I shouldn't trust him to host a blog, much less a game server. Grow up, dude.

(THAT is what an attack looks like.)
12 Mar, 2009, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
I think the subject of the ad and the followup has been beaten to death enough. Time to let it go already.
0.0/10