06 Mar, 2009, Dean wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Figured I was derailing the other thread :tongue: so here.

MOTG?
MOTE?
Stay the same?
06 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
David Haley said:
The problem with picking a new name that might indeed be more descriptive of what the games really are is that people won't have heard of it and therefore will not understand it.

Had you ever heard of the term MUD before you saw one? Did it make sense before someone explained what it meant to you? Of course not, and the same with MMORPG. The first time I ever saw that abbreviation, I had no clue what to think. However if we start using the term MOTG when advertising muds on non-mudder game sites, the term will be widely known and more easilly understandable to gamers than MUD.

Dean said:
The problem with picking a new name that might indeed be more descriptive of what the games really are is that people won't have heard of it and therefore will not understand it.

While this is true, when considering the intended audience it would most likely be used in regards to, they have generally as little understanding of MUD or MU*, at least from my personal experiences.

Don't really have anything to add to this, just wanted to quote it so that it was in this thread as well. Giving us some reference.
06 Mar, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
Dean said:
MOTG?
MOTE?
Stay the same?

Please note that my MOTE (and MOT*) suggestions were actually tongue-in-cheek. I was poking fun at the TinyMUD derivatives, although I was also trying to make a point.

We already have the term MUD to refer to the entire genre. The fact that some people insist on inventing new terms for their own games won't change just because you invent yet another umbrella term - you'll just see people inventing yet more terms to once again try and distinguish themselves from the competition.
06 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
but would it not be better for them to make derivatives of a more accurate term than a less accurate one? One that is less confusing to the non-mudders as well. You're more likely to attract an MMORPG player with MOTG than mud. Assuming of course that they are provided with no information as to the meanings of either, they're more likely to associate MOTG with a game than mud or MUD or MU* or MUX or MUSH. I'm just making assumptions here and not basing this on any real facts, but it makes sense to me.

Btw, I realized your suggestions were in jest, but it was a very valid point and could in all seriousness be a usable term. I'd still stick with MOTG cause it has the word game in it, the word environment isn't going to be a search term for many gamers looking for a game to play.
06 Mar, 2009, Dean wrote in the 5th comment:
KaVir said:
Dean said:
MOTG?
MOTE?
Stay the same?

Please note that my MOTE (and MOT*) suggestions were actually tongue-in-cheek. I was poking fun at the TinyMUD derivatives, although I was also trying to make a point.

We already have the term MUD to refer to the entire genre. The fact that some people insist on inventing new terms for their own games won't change just because you invent yet another umbrella term - you'll just see people inventing yet more terms to once again try and distinguish themselves from the competition.

I figured it was tongue in-cheek, I thought I might indulge it anyway. (You know, give the people more options) I think the point myself and Igabod are trying to make though is that in this case, a term like MOTG is perhaps more accessible and friendly to people outside the community and this can't be a bad thing can it? I honestly had no idea what to expect when a friend invited me to come play a MUD with him, my first time. I can't say that I thought he was suggesting that we go play in the mud (I hope not, though I don't remember entirely) but I maybe would not of tried it if he were not a good friend at the time. As mentioned Multiplayer Online Text-based Game says just about everything you need to where as Multi-User Dungeon is pretty vague for people stumbling across it on a gaming site. Does that make it any better than whats there already? That's debatable and what this thread is pretty much for I think. :biggrin:
06 Mar, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 6th comment:
If we're dealing with umbrellas, it should obvious becalled STAAAAAAAAARSSSSSS
06 Mar, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 7th comment:
i think we should call them kitb (Kiasyn Is The Best)
06 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
Kiasyn, we're looking for accuracy not pure unadulterated lies :-p
06 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 9th comment:
Igabod said:
Kiasyn, we're looking for accuracy not pure unadulterated lies :-p

I don't know I think kitb is the best name so far. Would anyone like to join my new kitb?
06 Mar, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 10th comment:
Igabod said:
One that is less confusing to the non-mudders as well. You're more likely to attract an MMORPG player with MOTG than mud.

If you want to attract MMORPG players, then just call it a "text-based MMORPG". The term MMORPG was presumably invented by the graphical MUDs for the reasons you mentioned, so you might as well use it now that it's become established.
06 Mar, 2009, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
textbasedmmorpgconnector.com
toptextbasedmmorpgsite.com
textbasedmmorpgbytes.com

…Just doesn't roll off the tongue like MUD :)
06 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 12th comment:
Im going to go with TBMMORPGBBQWTFUWIN.COM

I think that should be the new 'umbrella' term.

"Hey guys, want to play my TBMMORPGBBQWTFUWIN.COM?"
06 Mar, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
It might help to actually explain what MOTE and MOTG means rather than assume that everyone reading this thread was following whatever other thread this conversation started in or feels like digging through other threads to find it…
06 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 14th comment:
Dean said:
Figured I was derailing the other thread :tongue: so here.

MOTG?
MOTE?
Stay the same?

MUD is plenty, thanks.

MOO/MUX/MUCK/MUSH, etc. are all MUDs, period. Their different codebases, but there's nothing about them that makes them not fit the broad definition of a MUD. Their is absolutely no way to argue that they aren't all Multi-User-Dimensions. WoW is also a MUD, (albeit not a text-based MUD)so are all other MMORPG's, their are different genres and categories perhaps but the term MUD suffices as and umbrella term for all of these types of games.
06 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 15th comment:
For web crawlers etc, I add 'text based role playing game' but that's just to help search engines.
I'm digging Phegley's though, it's got good eats, a little swearing, and mud, awesome heh.
06 Mar, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 16th comment:
Are there a significant number of people who are seriously annoyed by having the "D"ungeon part associated with their non-dungeon game? Or are we gunning for some kind of funding that's only applicable to MMOG's, and thus need to show that a MUD is a particular form of MMOG?

I really don't think the world will be a better place by adding YMA's to it. There are already TGDMFA's out there. But, I guess YMMV.
06 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 17th comment:
Igabod said:
but would it not be better for them to make derivatives of a more accurate term than a less accurate one? One that is less confusing to the non-mudders as well. You're more likely to attract an MMORPG player with MOTG than mud. Assuming of course that they are provided with no information as to the meanings of either, they're more likely to associate MOTG with a game than mud or MUD or MU* or MUX or MUSH. I'm just making assumptions here and not basing this on any real facts, but it makes sense to me.

Btw, I realized your suggestions were in jest, but it was a very valid point and could in all seriousness be a usable term. I'd still stick with MOTG cause it has the word game in it, the word environment isn't going to be a search term for many gamers looking for a game to play.

I think Igabod and Dean are making a good point. I may try using MOTG in my own writings, though I'll have to keep reminding myself it doesn't mean "Message Of The Game". :wink:
06 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 18th comment:
I suggest we go on the offensive and declare MMORPG a swear word that shall be replaced with Graphical MUD.
06 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 19th comment:
Scandum said:
I suggest we go on the offensive and declare MMORPG a swear word that shall be replaced with Graphical MUD.

How bout a new umbrella for mmorpg being GrafMU*
06 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
I vote for OhmahguhWuhtuhfuhBeebeequeueRofflemaoMUD.

(And if that didn't make any sense, see this.)
0.0/31