04 Oct, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Who do you guys think is the best mud host out there?

First, I want to list some free ones that rock.

Frostmud.com- I owe him so much. Now requires a $5 donation, but having been with him since he introduced it, I can tell you he's a great guy and he deserves it.

isunlimited.net- Meh, free hosting is a promo. 50mb isn't enough space for a big world or lots of code, but okay for starting off.

www.swift-kick.net- Really great. Crappy web page, but really great host. If we have usage caps, I don't know about them. Its pretty free range. I love it. I'm hosting my current coding project there.

Now, paid hosts.

I put my bet for Genesismuds. They're cheaper than the rest and I've been very satisifed with my experience there before.

What are your thoughts?
04 Oct, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
Wolfpaw all the way.
04 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Off-hand, I don't even know what host Mudbytes is using, how do you?

Aside from that, I self-host so I really wouldn't know other than what I've heard and even there I can only address the handful of paid hosting services I've heard about.. I know that MudMagic seems to really suck, and I've heard only good things about Wolfpaw and Alsherok.. Only real complaints I've heard about Pardigm's service are the once a year two week down times and, recently, Remcon's lost forum database, but I assume that's a temporary thing. *shrug*
04 Oct, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 4th comment:
MUDBytes is on a VPS I believe. :P
04 Oct, 2006, Brinson wrote in the 5th comment:
I've always wanted to setup my own server. That would be a great experience.

I looked at vpsland.com once, seemed like good deals to me, but I'm currently hosting a bunch of sites through hostgator and the transfer would take a while and, quite frankly, not worth it.

I really may try and run my own server…
04 Oct, 2006, Tijer wrote in the 6th comment:
Having used various hosts in my time, i have a list of the mudhosts which i think were good and the ones which i think were bad….

First the good ones

1) Wolfpaw - used wolfpaw for years, till i could no longer see the point in paying 29.99$ a month. Dale is very helpful, and always responded to my emails i sent.
2) Genesismuds - signed up about 1.5 months ago, very cheap compared to most, and offer almost the same features
3) Mudmagic (shame that Kyndig is a total asshat but nvm) - used them for 3 years until Kyndig saw fit to block me in his firewall for spam crashing a MUD, which had been stolen from me, to prove that it was my code to start off with.
5) Betterbox.net - Do they still even host muds? I heard that Joong Kim the old admin had left and the new one doesnt seem to care about hosting muds.
4) Wehostmuds - These were cool, i used them for about 6 months, not sure if they still run
5) mudhole.org(the host i ran for 4 months), dont need to say anything about this one :P
6) amber.org.uk - Used these guys originally in 1999, but they had to close down, just recently went back to them, they are a free host now, with a difference, they care if the server is down, and the owner is very approachable, gives out his MSN freely.

Now the Bad ones

1) Iflipout.com - not even sure if they are still running - if they are they will prolly reformat without having ftp/sftp active so you cant download yer code.
2) Dune.net - Servers are way overcrowded - Admin dont seem to know what they are doing.
3) Mudmagic.com - Their connection is fast. and their response is great, but id never ever use mudmagic to host one of my muds ever again.
04 Oct, 2006, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
MudBytes is hosted with vpsland.com. So far they seem to be a good solid choice. Questionable ToS when it comes to hosting muds, but supposedly it's not actually against the rules.

Hosts I've used in the past for Alsherok:

1. mudservices.com - Overpriced. Terrible customer service. Still exists but has long since stopped taking new customers.
2. mudsrus.com - Extremely overpriced. Very solid network. Reliable machines. Not so reliable customer service. Not sure if they're still taking new accounts.
3. betterbox.net - Was a good deal at the time in 1998. Not sure now, it's been literally that long.

After that point I went to self-hosting and later opened up arthmoor.com to offer what I had to others.

If I had to go back to paid hosting I'd be very inclined to get a VPS account somewhere rather than any of the current mud hosting services. A VPS gives you an enormous amount of control over your own destiny. It's not for the beginner, but I think I'm way past that now :)
05 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
I'd been told that betterbox no longer hosted muds. I don't know how true that is or isn't, but it's why I hadn't listed them in my own brief statement above, I've only heard good things about them too, except for the fact that apparently their old admin left (apparently the one that made them so great) and that they are no longer in the mud hosting business of course. *shrug*
05 Oct, 2006, Tijer wrote in the 9th comment:
Wolfpaw also are only allowing new clients, who are referred by current clients too…. Guess the whole wolfpaw/mudmagic argument pissed Dale off… Which is a shame coz doing what hes doing is making Kyndig the winner, and i dont feel it should be that way.
05 Oct, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 10th comment:
you don't need to be referred:

Wolfpaw said:
2. Send an email to sales@wolfpaw.com, giving us the following information:
How long has your mud been running?
Do you have a coder?
Have you run a MUD before?
A description of your game's theme
Anything else you think would help us evaluate your request
05 Oct, 2006, Tijer wrote in the 11th comment:
But they are alot more strict than they used to be, and im sure there was a numer 1 there about referal, guess i missed the number 2. In some ways this is good so they dont end up with idiots running muds on there servers with muds that use loads of resources, and run loads of startup scripts, but i think its sill making Mudmagic the winner of the argument they had the other month, but i guess that just me.
06 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
I hate to see anything that benefits Kyndig at this point, but I can't really blame Wolfpaw on this one. As you pointed out, if he's going to restrict his server space for new mud applicants, why not restrict it based on only taking new applicants who seem to reasonably have a clue and stand some chance of remaining with him awhile?
06 Oct, 2006, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
It's a dark day for mudding if Kyndig ends up being the only place to host muds. Just like it became a dark day for computer users in general when Microsoft got away with their first strongarm OEM contract and began demanding it of the others.
06 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 14th comment:
Fortunately, we're still far from that point yet. :grinning:
07 Oct, 2006, Zeno wrote in the 15th comment:
Genesismuds is cheaper? I think that Arthmoor is. I use them, and they don't have as many restrictions as most hosts (TCP connections etc). That's the only paid host I've owned, but I have used others including Genesismud, Wolfpaw and some others. I'd pick Arthmoor over what I've used.
07 Oct, 2006, Tijer wrote in the 16th comment:
With genesismuds, i paid $147.75 for 1 years hosting. With similar specifications to what i had when i used another host and paid 29.99 a month.

I didnt say they were cheaper than arthmoor, and i probably woulda gone with arthmoor if they'd set the account up when i applied for it :) But i think it was refused coz at the time i had no forms of payment on my paypal account, so decided to go with genesismuds.
09 Oct, 2006, Timbo wrote in the 17th comment:
EPC Online let current BetterBox customers keep their account, with Chuck Rock doing the support-ish stuff, since Joong works elsewhere now, but it has less support than it did with Joong; it sounds like if somebody puts a virus on the machine then they'll just turn it off, though I may be remembering it different 'cause I kinda skimmed it at the time. I've only had good experiences with BetterBox, and the few months with EPC Online were good too, but I don't think they'll add new accounts, I'm not sure. I never had to deal with any sort of drama or random blocks that I didn't myself set, or anything like that… they basically treated me like one should treat somebody that's paying for hosting :P so I was obviously pretty happy there more than I imagine I'd be on wolfpaw or mudmagic. I haven't looked into their account types lately, so I'm not sure if they offer MUD-type accounts like BB did or not.
10 Oct, 2006, Tacitus wrote in the 18th comment:
MudMagic: Excellent service (most of my issues were resolved within seconds), fast + powerful boxs, and friendly admins.

Trenden: The only problem I had with Trenden was down ti ** CARRIER TERMINATED **. haha, j/k. Anyhow, They got this new control panel software recently that is pretty cool.

Wolfpaw: I hated how their server was setup and support requests took forever. I never even managed to get the site up with wolfpaw.

illhostit: Excellent at first but then services started to slide. I also found they had a weird system which was causing a bug in my mud. Later, they disabled all socket applications and gdb… and then they disappeared all together!

iflipout (sp?): Lets just say they don't even exist anymore.

Friend's linux server: Best host I've ever been on, haha. Though it doesn't have any "customer service", they did give me root!

Friend's windows server: Almost killed myself, that bad.

This concludes my review.
10 Oct, 2006, Cratylus wrote in the 19th comment:
I thought we were talking mud hosting, not web hosting.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/forum/
0.0/19