05 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this topic. I (obviously) vote for Turn-Based. I enjoy it for a number of reasons. For starters, it allows for more player skill than traditional combat, without being as unforgiving as some of the other alternatives. It also bears a certain nostalgia to me, since I grew up playing games like Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.

I think the Speed-Based system is a distant second in my opinion. It's still really similar to stock, but the addition of speed makes things just a bit more interesting. Combined with an innovative magic system and a few additional options during combat, it's actually pretty fun.

I guess that's enough rambling for now. I'm looking forward to getting opinions from the rest of you, but hopefully I won't get overwhelmed by a few hundred posts within a week like the last time I posed this question.

Oh, one thing I forgot. I'm not too certain on the way emote-based combat works, as I've not spent much time with it. If anyone cares to detail it a bit better, be my guest.
05 Jun, 2006, Lograk wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ok, time for me to throw out what I have to say about this topic.

Turn-based combat, I would have to agree with Midboss, is my favorite. It calls for more strategic actions, and using your brain. You can almost never anticipate a battle to be the same as the last, and with enough done with the system, can make for a very non-boring game. Now, going back to what I said, "With enough done to the system", this means with enough added in with the turned base combat, it can be a mix of everything. Tradtional kill, combo based skills, speedy turns, etc etc… There is so much to offer with using a turn-based combat system, that it's hard for me to turn from not using it, or even playing a RPG/MUD without it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love unique combat systems that differ from anything ever seen, but in most cases, it all leads back to one thing… Turn-based.
05 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 3rd comment:
I find the turn-based combat to be much better then player-a/player-b attacks, turn based opens it up greatly for more possible options.

especialy when you have speed-based turns, so you can have more turns based on your speed.
05 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 4th comment:
Heheheh, I'm actually surprised to see this many people agree with me on it. When I actually think about it, I don't recall ever actually seeing a turn-based system on any MUD but my own, so it's possible I was kind of unclear…

What I define as 'turn-based' is a system where there are no timers used, only speed calculations to determine where in the order you come up. Also, it generally entails the inability to act for anyone else during your turn. Most of the people I've talked to would scoff and say, "But that's not realistic!," but, then, I've always cared more about things being enjoyable than like reality. I mean, if reality were fun, why would we be playing MUDs… no, why would we be playing ANY games?
06 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 5th comment:
I have seen turn-based muds before, however, they are far and few between, and most are extremely un-balanced.

Your system looks good, i haven't fully implemented it yet, but i'm going to give it a try and see how things go :)
06 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 6th comment:
Heh, thanks. Always nice to hear someone's checking out my code. After you get a better feel for it, let me know what you think.
06 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 7th comment:
i love turn based combat ( I am also a huge fan of RPG's colect the things even the ones that suck ) lol but playing with a turn based system can also add a lot to it in general though i would love to see more muds with turn based combat
06 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 8th comment:
Well, you can certainly count on at least one decent one to spring up sooner or later. When, exactly, I can't say, because, quite honestly… I'm one hell of a slacker.

Speaking of which, if any other members here might be interested in helping me out with the design and/or theme of my current project, or just have feedback on something I've done, feel free to contact me. My info is public for a reason.</shameless plug>
07 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 9th comment:
I installed your system as your instructions specified, however, fights with mobiles did not work :( other-wise, it worked just fine, for some odd reason, fights with mobiles don't appear todo anything…

in anycase, i am very interested in the project because I am a big fan of the systems, and in due-time, your current project could work out just fine, :) especialy combined with my spell-casting release system ;) (shameless plug too ;) )

Anyways, just my two cents.
07 Jun, 2006, Tacitus wrote in the 10th comment:
:gasps: We just discovered that everyone likes turn-based combat and we never knew! :D
07 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 11th comment:
You must have forgotten to add combat_update() to the update handler, because I just checked and it is the not-so-broken version. Another possibility (something I didn't think to mention in the install file for some reason) is that a character was knocked out and not revived, be it through a copyover or someone else fleeing a three or more way battle. Other than that, I don't really have any idea why it wouldn't work, as mine works just fine.

I don't actually intend to release another version of this unless I find something I really want to fix, or am overwhelmed with requests; the project I mentioned is my own MUD. I released the basics to the combat engine after someone debated the feasibility of turn-based combat on a MUD, to show it could be done.
07 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 12th comment:
combat_update() was added to my update_handler, however, the mobiles refuse to attack back, and once you attack once, it goes and stops all combat.

Tis your system, only happens with mobiles.
08 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 13th comment:
I'm just saying it doesn't happen for me, and as far as the version I've released goes, I can't imagine what's different. When I install the snippet (according to the included instructions) on stock QuickMUD, everything works fine.

I can think of a few possibilities. Did you lose a fight to another player or just get knocked out, and copyover? That would flag you as KO'ed (and not remove it, as combat didn't end), which would cause the mobile to win instantly. Next is that combat IS continuing; the snippet doesn't include notification at the start of one's turn. And the other possiblity is that, for some reason, the mob can't see you. Thus, the mob can't target you, and can't take its turn.

Oh, it's also possible that you overlooked a chunk of messaging, and actually kill the mob in a single hit – they aren't removed from the world at death, or even when they lose the battle. Another thing to mention, battles end once all _live_ combatants are on the same side, do if you were fighting more than one mobile at a time, you'd have to dispatch all of them to end the battle.
08 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 14th comment:
alas my friend, the answer is none of the above solutions.

I can't kill hassan in 1 hit ;) though sometimes i try :P

In anycase, i'll debug it and get it working beautifuly, don't you worry
tehehe :) it'll go well with all my other cool features for the SoldierSide
mud release.

Which I will plug later, but let me put it this way… Its friggen COOL! ;)
08 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 15th comment:
Tch. Then I dunno what to say… Unless… Are you using the version from MudMagic? That one has a bit of a bug in it - I had to rewrite the linkdead and mobile turns at the last minute, and at the time MudMagic's new release thing wasn't working, so I never got a chance to fix the release there. In both of the aforementioned functions, there are a few checks for vch == NULL that should be vch == ch. So, if you're using the release from MudMagic, that explains everything. I would go and update that release, but… It's MudMagic.
08 Jun, 2006, Skol wrote in the 16th comment:
The one issue I see with turn based combat is the human factor. Someone gets up and goes to the rest room, combat waits till they are done.

In the world I work on we have player vs player as well, I could _easily_ see someone getting whipped just stop typing. Combat freezes.

Other than that, I loved it in a single player game (the old FF games were great). In those cases it's only you, not an entire world that's affected.
08 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 17th comment:
well theres the exact problem, i am using the version from MudMagic.

Guess i'll have to download the version from here and try it.
08 Jun, 2006, Omega wrote in the 18th comment:
Yuppers, the mudmagic copy was the problem, after plugging in the mudbyte posted copy, it works perfectly. Awesome job :)
08 Jun, 2006, Darmond wrote in the 19th comment:
lol love the mudmagic comment *snickers * silly mudmagic

would go and update that release, but… It's MudMagic.

O_o ooo wate doh i got my copy there >_> dam guess i ether need to try and fix it or find a way to get my unrar working right *mutters and kicks his computer*
08 Jun, 2006, Midboss wrote in the 20th comment:
Darmond, just replace the mobile_turn() and linkdead_turn() functions with these ones, and you'll be fine.
/*
* Forces a mobile to take its turn.
*/
void mobile_turn (CHAR_DATA * ch)
{
CHAR_DATA * vch, * list;

vch = ch;

for (list = ch->in_battle->unit_list; list != NULL; list = list->next_in_battle)
{
if (!is_same_group (ch, list))
{
if (vch == ch)
vch = list;
else if (vch != ch && number_percent () < 45)
vch = list;
else continue;
}
}

/*
* I'm leaving this at just attack for obvious reasons.
* Be creative, will ya?
*/
if (vch == ch)
clean_combat (ch->in_battle);
else
do_attack (ch, vch->name);
}

/*
* PC version of mobile turn, for linkdead characters.
*/
void linkdead_turn (CHAR_DATA * ch)
{
CHAR_DATA * vch, * list;

if (number_percent () < 40)
{
do_escape (ch, "");
return;
}

vch = ch;

for (list = ch->in_battle->unit_list; list != NULL; list = list->next_in_battle)
{
if (!is_same_group (ch, list))
{
if (vch == ch)
vch = list;
else if (vch != ch && number_percent () < 45)
vch = list;
else continue;
}
}

if (vch == ch)
clean_combat (ch->in_battle);
else
do_attack (ch, vch->name);
}

And Skol, with any decent engine (mine included…<.<) that's not much of a problem. By default mine has a rather long timer, but it can be made shorter. My point is, you just add a timer. If a turn takes too long, it gets cancelled and you slap the staller with a big chunk of wait time. You could also make this require that another combatant use a hurry command to start the timer. But anyway, that's not much of an issue if you take care of it properly.
0.0/30