21 Feb, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi there,

A friend of mine recently begun hosting my mud, and I rebooted it for the first time just now, but can't figure out how to boot it up again so that I don't have to keep putty open….

Right now:

I connect to putty..
cd qmud/area
../src/rom 4000

the mud starts but as soon as I exit Putty, it crashes.. what am I doing wrong?
21 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
./startup & will start it up as a background process. Or since you're invoking the exe directly, just type ../src/rom 4000 &
21 Feb, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks very much for your help.
21 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
Any time.
21 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Starting the executable directly as a background process might not be enough; you might also need "nohup" in front (which tells it to continue running even if you hang up).
21 Feb, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 6th comment:
I usually do nohup ./startupscript &
Never had a problem with that (nohup in front, & in back)
21 Feb, 2009, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
Usually best to use the startup script. Launching the exe directly is fine until the game needs to reboot or it crashes. You'd have to log back in anyway to restart it, which is what the startup script helps with.
21 Feb, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 8th comment:
I've never had a problem even without using nohup. (SWR)
21 Feb, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 9th comment:
I have had problems not using nohup on some servers (by servers I mean the *nix box, not the
MUD server). I pretty much just use it unless I know for sure it works ok without, as I have
never had any problems using it.

Another problem I have had on some servers is if the shell connection dies, from the user just
disconnecting or some internet problem, the MUD would die when the server realized the connection
was dead (maybe right away, or even an hour or so after the disconnect). So now, when I start
a MUD, I will do a proper logout right away (in case I have an unexpected disconnect), even if
I log in again to do other work (though as I do most of my work offline in MSVC this is seldom
the case).
21 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
The startup script often takes care of nohup'ing for you, which is why a lot of people don't use it when using the startup script. Some shells also make you use nohup on the startup script itself, although my impression is that that is somewhat unusual.

Sharmair said:
Another problem I have had on some servers is if the shell connection dies, from the user just disconnecting or some internet problem, the MUD would die when the server realized the connection was dead

Never heard of that happening on a properly nohup'ed program. Seems like an overly aggressive policy to me. (Assuming everything was properly bg'ed and nohup'ed and all that, of course.)
22 Feb, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 11th comment:
Do I have to write the "startup" script into the code? and where do I use that command from? the area folder?
22 Feb, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 12th comment:
boblinski said:
Do I have to write the "startup" script into the code? and where do I use that command from? the area folder?

No, you don't have to do any C coding to use the startup script. The script does some things like
redirecting output to a log file, changing working directory and starting (or restarting) the MUD
itself. Looking at a stock ROM setup, it seems the startup script is in the area directory, though
taking a quick look seems to indicate it will change to the area dir from any sibling dir AND look
for the MUD (the file rom) in a sibling dir called src, so it looks like it would work from either the
area or src dir (I actually have seen startup use src more then area, other then circle based MUDs
that use autorun from a parent dir). Where ever you try to run it (I would try the directory it is
in first) be aware that the stript sets the port if you don't put the port as an argument to the script,
so if you want to use just 'nohup ./startup &' you should open up startup and edit the 'set port'
line. Also if you happen to ever change the name of the MUD bin file from rom, you would
change that in the script too.
24 Feb, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 13th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Starting the executable directly as a background process might not be enough; you might also need "nohup" in front (which tells it to continue running even if you hang up).

Technically it is enough to start it in the background, but that requires you actually logout from the server by typing exit. If he wants to be able to just click the x on PuTTy to close it then he will indeed need to use nohup.
24 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
That depends on the shell. zsh for instance will kill background jobs when you log out cleanly unless you explicitly 'disown' them. nohup does this for you.
10 Mar, 2009, Trepko wrote in the 15th comment:
Thought this would be the best place to ask is there a program "better" than Putty that I can use to do in shell editing? Or is there just another program that anyone would recommend other than Putty?
10 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
What kind of extra features are you expecting? I don't use Putty myself, I use SecureCRT on Windows, but there's no particularly good reason for that. Mainly I use Gnome Terminal, because my primary desktop environment is Linux. At work, I use xterm, because their version of gnome-terminal is ooolllddd and it's too much of a hassle to upgrade.

But the terminal is really just a window to the environment you're talking to. The experience is defined by the terminal, the shell, and the programs you use on the server, such as the text editor. This is why I asked what you were expecting, because it could be that your problem isn't with the terminal per se but with the programs you use.
10 Mar, 2009, Trepko wrote in the 17th comment:
Well I just generally don't like that the scroll only goes up so far. So if I have something that I want to look back onto I can't really see it. Unless there's a secret way for me to do it that I haven't found yet. Like if something scrolls by too fast (for instance lets just say there's like 3 pages of errors :P). I can't go back because Putty only scrolls back up so far.
10 Mar, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 18th comment:
When you're opening it up go to Window->Control the scrollback in the window and change it from 200 to 200000 or whatever.
10 Mar, 2009, Trepko wrote in the 19th comment:
Oh wow I feel a little silly now that I notice that it was THAT easy. I just generally don't go around looking through settings because the amount of them discourages me from messing with them. But I guess in this case maybe I should have. Thanks for the help.
11 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 20th comment:
How do I use the startup script for QuickMud?
0.0/50