12 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been trying to figure out how to set gcc 4.3.2 as my default in cygwin. I have had to resort to changing my makefile to gcc -V 4.3.2 but I'd rather have it default to that. Currently it defaults to 3.4.4. I've tried opening my cygwin setup and installing gcc 4 again, but that doesn't change it to the default. I don't want to uninstall 3.4.4, I may find it useful later on for some weird reason, I just want it inactive.

Also, lately I've seen a few mentions of changing the tabwidth to 5 in several different places, I was wondering how to do this, both in Cygwin and in my linux shell.
12 Feb, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 2nd comment:
Symbolic link gcc to gcc4.3.2, i dont know the directory structure of cygwin so i wont give you paths, you can find them easy enough tho, tab width is in your editor i believe and you would need to look in its settings. Use a tab setting that you most like to look at when reading your code. I think 5 is rather tongue in cheek from whomever suggested it.
12 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
I use nano, I just looked around in that and at the help for it, nothing mentioned setting tab width. As for symb link, what are the commands for this, in cygwin I typed symb and it said command not found.
12 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
Igabod said:
I use nano, I just looked around in that and at the help for it, nothing mentioned setting tab width. As for symb link, what are the commands for this, in cygwin I typed symb and it said command not found.

What about "ln -s"?
12 Feb, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm pretty sure Cygwin uses the alternatives package to determine which gcc is the primary. So I don't think you want to bork your installation by messing around with the symbolic links. Good question to ask on the Cygwin mailing list.
13 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
I could uninstall all of the gcc versions and just install gcc4 first then download the others I guess, I was just hoping for a more direct easy way. I'm not a member of the cygwin mailing list, but I'll google it and see if maybe this question has been answered before.

[edit cause I skipped over davion's reply somehow]
Davion said:
Igabod said:

What about "ln -s"?

ln -s results in this message: ln: missing file operand

what else am I supposed to type in there? ln –help wasn't very useful for me.
13 Feb, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
Okay after going back and reading the last announcement I installed it myself. The reason I didn't install it earlier is because earlier versions overlayed the
existing compiler. They are using suffixes not the alternatives package. So you should be invoking it as gcc-4 or g++-4 depending on whether you are doing C or C++ to make sure the right spec files are read.

$ gcc-4 –version
gcc-4 (GCC) 4.3.2 20080827 (alpha-testing)

It's still very alpha.
13 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
Ah so I gotta wait till it's out of testing phase and then I can install it as the default?
0.0/8