05 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm looking to register a domain and I was looking for some suggestions. I've looked at godaddy.com since that's the only one I know of and the prices seem pretty decent, but I have no way of knowing for sure. All I'm looking for is a simple .com. I don't need anything fancy, I only know how to do html. I'm not expecting much traffic at all, it's mostly just for my personal use as a place to keep some of my files that I can allow people to download. I don't need much bandwidth allotment either since it's not gonna see more than 2 or 3 hits a week.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for sites to check out. Thanks in advance.
05 Feb, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 2nd comment:
I use Name Cheap, they seem ok and i have not had any troubles with them, others will have other recommendations.
05 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 3rd comment:
I have to suggest you read this thread as it contains many horror stories with registrars and the battle fought with them. It's a bit of a long read, but might be worth it. Lots of info in there. I personally use dynadot, as I whois'd one of Samson's domains and figured if he's stuck with them, the must be at least somewhat decent ;).
05 Feb, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 4th comment:
I would go with google. They give you free private regristration.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/busin...

If you just get a domain name, I can set you up with server space if you want it. That way it would only cost you $10 for the domain name for a year.

If you want to get your own site package then I have used bluehost and ipower (I don't recommend Ipower) in the past. You pay for the year, but it averages out to like $6-7 bucks a month. Which isnt' that bad for all the space and bandwidth you get.

GoDaddy seems to be good but I have never used them.
05 Feb, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
05 Feb, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 6th comment:
I use GoDaddy for many of my domain names, but my hosting company YourMUD.net/MOOCowPenguin.net also offers domain registration as an OpenSRS (Tucows) affiliate. We also offer hosting for said domain names and free registration for some hosting packages.
05 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
I use GoDaddy, for no particular reason. They have been quick with support on the few occasions I needed it, their prices are reasonable, and their advertising is somewhat obnoxious. But, well, there you have it.
05 Feb, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 8th comment:
I use:
http://www.cheap-domainregistration.com/

Been using them for years without any issue.
05 Feb, 2009, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 9th comment:
Google is not a Registrar. They simply use Enom & GoDaddy for their registration. However, instead of you having to pay extra for the private registration, all the info is set to being Google as contact point.

That said it is a good thing to do. It is cheap and easy to setup, and while you are at it sign up for the Domain with a free Google Apps suite, which gives you your own GMail accounts for your website and other things like the Docs & Spreadsheets and calendar, etc. If you do that, and register the Domain during setup, all of the config will be done for you :)

Note you have to dig a bit to make sure you locate the free version of Google apps.

Google Apps page is here: http://www.google.com/a

ShadowsDawn

P.S. No I am not solely endorsing this product because I work for the company. It just really is good stuff!

tphegley said:
I would go with google. They give you free private regristration.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/busin...

If you just get a domain name, I can set you up with server space if you want it. That way it would only cost you $10 for the domain name for a year.
05 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
It is relatively rare to see top-posting in a forum post :tongue:
05 Feb, 2009, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 11th comment:
LOL I'm just soo used to it from emails that I don't even think about it.
05 Feb, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
I use DynaDot. And it came on a recommendation from Samson. Although, Samson also handles my hosting needs.. which reminds me.. I'm supposed to be making him a new banner for AIS…
05 Feb, 2009, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
Heh. Two people already beat me to the punch on Dynadot. It took me awhile to find a registrar that's not laced with fraud (Registerfly) or plagued by shit service (GoDaddy) or generally not responsive to my wishes like all the others I sampled in between.
05 Feb, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 14th comment:
Samson said:
Heh. Two people already beat me to the punch on Dynadot. It took me awhile to find a registrar that's not laced with fraud (Registerfly) or plagued by shit service (GoDaddy) or generally not responsive to my wishes like all the others I sampled in between.

Maybe you could explain to the OP what your wishes are from a registrar so that he can formulate his own question sheet to hit up any prospective service with.

The important thing for me when choosing a service was a 24/7 help online help desk (which name cheap has) because i have never had to self manage my own dns before and had no clue about how it all works. The most i have had to wait for service is about 5 minutes, before having my questions answered in full.
06 Feb, 2009, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
I used to use GoDaddy, but migrated all my domains to DreamHost when I setup web hosting with them; except my .US domain. DreamHost still won't handle .US – any of the registrars listed here so far that do; besides GoDaddy?

Also, as a few folks have said, I'll also gladly offer hosting (web) to any who need it. One of those "unlimited everything" plans, so it's not like I'll run out of space or bandwidth any time soon :P
06 Feb, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 16th comment:
I go with DynDNS always. They're not the cheapest, but their service is perfect and their network is very solid. I have friends who've chosen cheaper providers and without fail every one of them has come to regret it, but I've never had even a single problem with DynDNS since I started using them (which was only a few months after they started operation).
06 Feb, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 17th comment:
Have been with GoDaddy for years, really like it. The Total DNS Control thing they have is nice and is much nicer than screwing with DynDns.
06 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 18th comment:
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, now I have a couple questions. I apparently knew less than I thought I did about this whole thing, but here goes: It sounds to me like yall are saying that registering the domain does only that, I still need to find someone to host the website. Is that correct? I was under the impression that if I registered with, lets say godaddy for now, it would be sorta like geocities in that it gives you a place to log in, you have a file manager and all that, but it's address would be www.igabod.com instead of www.geocities.com/igabod/mypage.html. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
06 Feb, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 19th comment:
There certainly are registrars who will host your site as well. But very often people will use two separate services to register the domain and host the site. For example if you have a friend with a virtual private server and you just need to register a domain name.

For the record I've used gandi.net to register on the recommendation of a local isp. Gandi is nice and professional, and cost competitive (if not cheap).
06 Feb, 2009, Kline wrote in the 20th comment:
Igabod: Yes, a registrar only "reserves" the domain name for you. As Idealiad said, most registrars happen to offer hosting services, too, but those are sold separate from registration. For hosting you could share a friend's VPS, use your own, signup for your own web hosting, or even take up any of the offers people have given you here to host your site for you. Google has a great way to host full websites (free) too, but their page builder is a bit limiting if you'd like to do anything more than simple HTML.

edit:
Also, what you get when you go with a hosting package for your domain varies from place to place. Most will offer some form of web control panel (cpanel) to manage DNS, user accounts for FTP access/SSH, etc. The amount of control and different features will be different from place to place. About the only feature that is constant is getting, at a minimum, FTP access so you can upload your website to their server. MySQL is pretty standard too, but I wouldn't say it's offered 100%.
0.0/36