17 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I finally figured out how to make prototype ships for swfote and was planning on making a prototype for every ship I could find info about. The problem though is that I'm not running or planning on running a swfote mud cause I'm just not that knowledgeable about the codebase.

So what I was wanting to know is if I do make these, would there be any point in me uploading them to the repository here? And if so then would I just put them in the snippets directory of swfote? Or would it be in the areas directory? I'm probably going to make these prototypes anyway just for the fun of it but I'd like to know if anybody would be interested in them.

I'm getting all my info from wookiepedia at the moment but I'll probably get a copy of the essential guide to ships or whatever it's called from the book store since I saw it on sale yesterday for half price.
17 Jan, 2009, Caius wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that you uploaded ships you've made. As the categories are now I think it would fit best in the areas dir. Snippets are mostly about additions to the source code itself. If you make a lot of ships, then perhaps it's worthy of its own directory?
18 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
It's definitely going to be a LOT of ships, I printed out well over 200 pages of info on the various ships, and most of those were starfighters, I only got a few frigates and freighters and capital ships so far. And just to answer any questions before they're asked, I printed it cause I don't have internet access at my house (i'm too cheap to pay for it) and I don't feel like doing this all while I'm here at work.
18 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 4th comment:
If I like them, I will surely use them, if you don't mind. :biggrin:
18 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
Nope, don't mind at all. Just to let you know though this isn't gonna be too awful soon. I've only gotten 4 done so far and only one of those has more than one room. That one is a quite nice YT-1250 though if I do say so myself.
18 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 6th comment:
Heh, if you want, I can 'test' them for you as you complete them. To ensure that they load/look right in the game. *smirk*
18 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
Heh I'll start uploading them as soon as I get a few more done, I want to release them in groups not just singles. Maybe one of the moderators could create a prototype ships directory in the swfote directory for me. I'll probably get enough done today when I get off work to be able to release them tomorrow.
19 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
Alright, I just got to looking at my prototype YT-1250 and I have a rprog in the main lounge of the ship that opens a secret hatch down into the smuggling compartment of the ship. The problem I have with it is that I'm currently using a speech prog to do it and since I don't know much of anything about rprogs, I was wondering what the other methods I could use are. I realize I could look through the code and see all the different prog types but I'd rather get the opinion of a living being who has experience with these types of things.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I don't feel comfortable releasing this prototype till I get this rprog looking better, but I have uploaded a few prototypes already and they are pending approval. Since no new directory was created they are in the swfote areas directory. I didn't get as many done when I got off work this morning as I hoped I would, but I still got a few done. They're all starfighters and bombers at the moment but I'm gonna be starting a couple larger projects soon for capital ships and cruisers.
19 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 9th comment:
Is it like a door that opens when someone says something? You could have a button, that people push to open it, or just a hidden entry. Or a custom program, like 'compartment open' or something. Or you could just go with the speech prog. I'm sure there are other ways, just a few I could think of, off the top of my head. Though, I must admit, once people find out that it has a compartment, the secret will be out, and everyone will know to check that type of ship for a compartment off of room x *shrug*. Still a cool idea though. Maybe inside the room you can close the door too, so a person could in essence "hide" in there.
19 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 10th comment:
There is no real door. Just a speech prog to get in and out. And I know it's not really gonna be secret for long but it's just one of those nifty hidden things for players to randomly find one day. I plan on having a bunch of little hidden things like that in some of the bigger ships I make. This was just my first attempt with rprogs. As for the button idea, how would I go about that? As I said I'm unfamiliar with rprogs and the like. Godwars is my forte and that doesn't have rprogs.
19 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 11th comment:
Here's what the rpstat of a room prog for a simple custom prog looks like:

custom_prog press button
mpechoat $n You press a button and a door to the north opens up and you walk in.
mptransfer $n 100

As a note, I had to make it press instead of push, because push is a command, and commands supercede custom progs in FotE.

Hope that helps.
19 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
Sure does, thanks for that. I'm going to try to think of something creative rather than just pushing a button. Maybe something like pulling a book out of a bookshelf but something more ship-based.
19 Jan, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 13th comment:
You'd have to break them up into several different ship lists at shipyards, and not just one. Like different ones for each class. I'd love to see a ton of ships in the next release of FotE.

Hint Hint
19 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 14th comment:
Odd, had to put my message before the quote box cause my message was appearing in the quote box even though it was after the /quote.

I'm unsure what you mean here. Isn't there just the one ship list? The same thing at all shipyards (except blackmarket) and all that.

[edit to add] oh and now I understand what you're saying, I missed 4 words when I read it the first time.

Zenn said:
You'd have to break them up into several different ship lists at shipyards, and not just one. Like different ones for each class. I'd love to see a ton of ships in the next release of FotE.

Hint Hint
19 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 15th comment:
Zenn said:

You don't have to do that, but if there were enough ships, its an idea.
19 Jan, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 16th comment:
Does anybody happen to know a good tutorial for swfote/smaug mprogs and rprogs? I thought there was one here in the articles but I was wrong. I tried looking around smaugmuds.org for one too to no avail.
19 Jan, 2009, Caius wrote in the 17th comment:
THE classic:
Herne's SMAUG Building Guides

More specialized towards SWR:
Isaac's Guide to SWR Building

Both have sections on mudprogs.
19 Jan, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 18th comment:
I've always been curious of the star wars muds, but never looked at them to figure out how to exactly play it. I could also never get past the SAME newbie zone in every star wars mud out there. I'd be interested if you had any insight into the mud itself. I know someday I'll delve into it a little bit deeper, but I think that if I ever create a star wars mud it would have to be 100% custom from another codebase. Then I'd know how everything worked and how it would work like I wanted it too.
19 Jan, 2009, Kline wrote in the 19th comment:
I played on one or two for a short stint, but had some disagreements with the code that really turned me off (at least on the few MUDs I tried).

1) Jedi. You can go through a long process to learn and train as one, yes, but only a random 1% or so of new characters created are "true" Jedi with strong innate force. They are much more powerful than other Jedi, and you really have no control over this extra leg up they get on you!

2) Bounty Hunters. The absolute strongest class/profession in 1v1 combat, but only levelable via PVP. Being that the MUDs were RP enforced to an extent, and that dying is mostly permanent, PVP must have a strong IC reason not just "I don't like the guy". This is quite limiting trying to level up, yet for the few (first players maybe?) that made it to the top, they stay there.

Past that I really love most of what any SWR MUD has to offer, as a lot of the features I'd never seen in other games: space combat, player run factions/cities with economies, etc.
19 Jan, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 20th comment:
1) On most SWRs, the ONLY way you can get a Jedi/Sith is by sending an application to the imms, OR the most common way is to roll force ability at creation. Once you do this, you have no clue that you're actually force-sensitive until a Jedi or Sith spots you, and they have ways of knowing. They'll (probably) take you in and train you.

2) Bounty Hunters aren't levelable by PVP on most SWRs I've played on. There are quests you can do with super-strong mobs to kill, or other hard quests. Typically it helps to level combat before attempting to level bounty hunting.

3) Space Combat has been taken to a new level by a select few MUDs with VSpace/Battlegroups and other similar code. LotJ and SWGC have VSpace, but LotJ is the only one that I know of with Battlegroup code. That allows one or two people to control an entire fleet of ships from your flagship. There's a whole host of tactics involved with this. As for economies, most SWRs have some sort of cargo system, and some (LotJ) have made player-constructable buildings and resources you can harvest.
Random Picks
0.0/26