31 Dec, 2008, Venrexx wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey I have been having issues lately with my hotboot, when I first log on and use it is says
"Compression error encountered. Attempting to compensate.
MCCP Compression Disabled.
Huh?" and others who don't use MCCP seem to fail connection, must go link dead, and reconnect.
I will provide a link to pastebin for the entire file so maybe someone out there can figure out exactly
what has all of a sudden gone wrong with my hotboot.
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=past...
15 Jan, 2009, Venrexx wrote in the 2nd comment:
I resolved it, I just ended up removing MCCP from the mud and hotboot works fine again for all.
15 Jan, 2009, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Must have missed this one before. I'm assuming this was with SmaugFUSS? Since stock doesn't have MCCP or Hotboot :P

It works perfectly well for me, though running a hotboot makes the SimpleMU client very unhappy. Perhaps your problem is actually client-side? What MUD client do you use?
15 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 4th comment:
I think he is using the DBSaga codebase, so the MCCP code may be somewhat different.
15 Jan, 2009, Venrexx wrote in the 5th comment:
Yes Keberus is correct, I am using a DBSaga codebase and have heavily modified it. The codebase came with a hotboot code and it had MCCP in it, MCCP did not always cause me issues until more recently so I felt it best to just remove it and so far no issues. Very keen memory though Keberus, good show lol
15 Jan, 2009, Keberus wrote in the 6th comment:
If you want to use mccp, I suggest ripping it out of a newer version of SMAUGFUSS…shouldn't be hard to implement that way, and it will be up to date for you.
15 Jan, 2009, Venrexx wrote in the 7th comment:
I am not too concerned about MCCP at this point in time, Getting rid of it was easy and so far I notice no differences in performance or any other area. Maybe in the future if I find it to be needed I will do just that, thanks for the tip.
15 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Somebody said this in another thread recently, but generally it's better to not rip something out, but to just disable it. You greatly reduce the risk of breaking something subtle – the not-so-subtle problems are at least very easy to spot. Network code is hard enough to understand and get right even when you know what you're doing with it…
15 Jan, 2009, Venrexx wrote in the 9th comment:
So very true, I have heard that before as well. In this instance though zeno told me how to remove it safely without having to fear consequences and so far I have seen no issues, but I will keep that in mind for the future.
0.0/9