13 Jan, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Of course… but I have never had an instance of filesystem corruption that wasn't caused by a bug IN the filesystem drivers (Thank You ReiserFS!). Whenever I've had an IDE drive fail, it fails… end of story. SCSI was a little different, but they're dead and buried now, unless you have an antique server that is still running along.

If you're getting data corruption that isn't due to hardware… that's a good indication that you need a new OS/filesystem, or you need to stop letting your child pull the power cord on the server. :)
13 Jan, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 22nd comment:
So I'm thinking of picking up a PCI sata card to add sata ii support to my system and getting one of those 10,000RPM Sata Drives. I can get a much larger drive if I go that route rather than SCSI. So what I'm wondering is if Sata II is fast enough that I'm not going to notice a big difference in performance by switching over? Also the benefit of native command queuing that my scsi controller doesn't have (as far as I know). But then I lose the benefit of my onboard raid controller. Sigh, what do you guys think?
13 Jan, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 23rd comment:
It really depends on what you're planning to use the machine for… if it's for gaming, then yes… go for the 10K sata drive. If it's for a file server, how often do you really transfer giant files, or use a bazillion files so they can't be cached in memory? I know my old file server uses 6 year old IDE drives and is fast enough so the only bottleneck is the CPU (when compiling).

If it's SATA vs. SCSI, I'd go sata just because it's cheaper and easier to replace.
14 Jan, 2009, Tricky wrote in the 24th comment:
It's not just hard-drives that fail, I have a Seagate 8GB 10k RPM Cheetah (about 12 years old) on my server machine. I have it sleep whenever possible because the fan on the back of the drive caddy has seized up. If I was to utilize it I would need to keep the external room fan on constantly to keep it cool.

Tricky
14 Jan, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 25th comment:
Cratylus said:
Maybe I've just been lucky and buying the right brand.

That was exactly the kind of avatar I was looking for!
14 Jan, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 26th comment:
Scandum said:
Cratylus said:

Huh. I had you pegged as a more sinister figure.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
14 Jan, 2009, Guest wrote in the 27th comment:
Cratylus said:
In my experience, drives give you warning. They buzz, or shriek, or click,
for a while before the go dead solid kaput. You ignore "Weird new sounds
from the PC" at your own peril.

Well you rely on waiting for that tell tale sound at your own peril as well. 4 of the 5 WD drives I had die died without warning, without ever uttering so much as a whir beforehand. Literally working one minute, dead the next. Needless to say I keep religious backups now. I didn't used to before.
14 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
Hmm, guess I'm lucky as well, since I've never had a drive die in my lifetime. In fact, if you count my parents and brother, of all the hard drives we've had (a fair number), only one has ever died, and it was a laptop drive.

For that matter, I haven't had other components die, either…
14 Jan, 2009, Dean wrote in the 29th comment:
Cratylus said:
Scandum said:
Cratylus said:

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

Darth Vader, now equipped in Jedi luring outfit. Annoying kids cartoon voice optional.

And for a limited time only, order two and you receive a free kitty litter box.
14 Jan, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 30th comment:
Cratylus said:

I'd use it, but I don't think that'd quite as thoroughly ruin the forum's immersion as what I currently have.
20.0/30