17 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
gcc 3.3.6, after a configure I do a make and get this:
gcc -c -g -O2      -gnatpg -gnata -I- -I. -Iada -I./ada ada/ada.ads -o ada/ada.o
gcc -c -g -O2 -gnatpg -gnata -I- -I. -Iada -I./ada ada/a-charac.ads -o ada/a-charac.o
a-charac.ads:16:01: (style) multiple blank lines
make[1]: *** [ada/a-charac.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/oldgcc/gcc-3.3.6/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

I assume the multiple blank lines is the issue? I have no idea what is causing it to error.
17 Dec, 2008, ghasatta wrote in the 2nd comment:
Which version of gcc are you using to compile the old version?

Do you absolutely, positively need to compile gcc yourself? If not, there is probably a binary out there somewhere for your platform that will be much easier to install.
17 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Using 4.2.3

I already have an exec, but it gives errors such as:
gcc-3.3.6: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
17 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
I'd be shocked if you had to do this yourself. Can you try using your package manager to force a reinstall of the old gcc package?
17 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
I have a Slackware package manager, but I don't know how to tell it to install in a different dir. :P Don't want to overwrite gcc (latest version).
17 Dec, 2008, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
I don't know Slackware, but in Debian aptitude will install and link old versions as named. IE: aptitude install gcc will get the latest (4.3?) and link /usr/bin/gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-4.3

aptitude install gcc-2.95 will install /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 and you'll have to invoke it as gcc-2.95 not just gcc, etc
17 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 7th comment:
Keep forgetting what it's called.

Oh: swaret

Gonna look over the doc again.

root@zeno:~# swaret –list *gcc*
swaret 1.6.2-1

Listing all available Packages…
gcc-4.2.3-i486-1 (6138 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]
gcc-g++-4.2.3-i486-1 (16874 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]
gcc-gfortran-4.2.3-i486-1 (2777 kB) [Status: NOT INSTALLED]
gcc-gnat-4.2.3-i486-1 (11929 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]
gcc-java-4.2.3-i486-1 (31175 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]
gcc-objc-4.2.3-i486-1 (2210 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]
gccmakedep-1.0.2-noarch-1 (3 kB) [Status: NOT INSTALLED]
17 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
If you really want to go old school, you CAN download the gcc sources and compile it yourself. :)

I smile, because I did that many times on the old Sun workstations we had. Just remember, you have to compile it three times. Once with the host C compiler, then once with itself (the new one you just compiled), then once more with THAT new version. The resulting 2nd and 3rd binaries should be identical.

Also, you'd have to give full pathnames so each one uses its own libraries, backends, etc… but it is doable if you have an afternoon free. The project took a couple of days on the Sun 3's, as they were a little slower than today's hardware.
17 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
How did you previously have an older gcc installed, if that package is not listed in the available packages?

I'm starting to get a somewhat negative impression of Slackware, for whatever it's worth, but I'd still be surprised if they didn't have an easy way to install older compiler versions… Having to manage the whole compilation process yourself when on standard hardware/software is pretty ridiculous these days.
17 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 10th comment:
Came with Slackware. :P
18 Dec, 2008, Guest wrote in the 11th comment:
This sort of a problem isn't unique to Slackware either. Fedora, for example, if you're using it in package managed form will not give you the option to upgrade the old compiler while keeping the new unless you do the dance around the pentagram and recite the ritual of installing older versions 5 times. And even then, the gods of package installs may not heed your call. :)

I'm sure there's a way to do it though. If clinging to old compilers is really that important to a lot of people someone must have come up with a way to let a package managed setup keep hold of older stuff if someone really wants it.
18 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 12th comment:
Am I the only one old enough to find the term "package management" used with respect to "Slackware", amusing? When I last used Slackware, the package manager was tar, and the installer was (./configure && make && make install).

*grin*
18 Dec, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 13th comment:
quixadhal said:
Am I the only one old enough to find the term "package management" used with respect to "Slackware", amusing?

Oh, man.

I read your post and was like "Hey…do I still have that
book I bought when I was a noob and wanted to start a mud?"

And there on my bookshelf it was, "Using Linux: Special Edition"
by QUE, copyright 1995. The CD it was packaged with is long
lost, of course, but it was Slackware 2.0.1, using Linux 1.0.9.

Did package management even exist back then other
than unpacking tarballs? Years later when I came across Red Hat,
I felt like a neanderthal amazed by an alien monolith.

But back in 95…man.

Good times.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
18 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
It would seem that a few years using Debian/Ubuntu have spoiled me. It is utterly easy to have several versions of gcc running concurrently. And you even have a program, "select-alternative", that lets you pick which one is the "main" one, i.e. the one you get if you just type "gcc".

Then again, the main reason I switched from Fedora to Debian/Ubuntu in the first place was the much better package management, so ……
0.0/14