12 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Alright. Um.. Where to begin.

MW's websites has three parts where it sends emails. Via the email function of the underlying QSFP, and then it can send an application for an immortal position or a review of a current immortal to the highest level imms on MW. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, as the mail server would be on the same machine as the MUD. But.. It's not…Google Apps handles my mail needs for MW.

Now, On to the problem. When you use these three things and they get sent to an email that doesn't end in @malevolentwhispers.org everything works just peachy. If it's going to an @malevolentwhispers.org email, as is the case with most of the immortals, and the application and review apps, things get tricky. The domain name is pointing at the machine where the mud is hosted, but the mail needs to go to the google mail servers. Spent some time googling, and Keberus pointed me towards swift mailer, but unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure I understand any of what I've read, or this swift mailer.

I need to get this working some how. I need to be able to send emails from my website, to the google mail servers without having PHP's mail() function or Sendmail try to send it to whatever@localhost because of where the domain points.

Please tell me someone has some kind of an idea? =/
12 Dec, 2008, Shigs wrote in the 2nd comment:
You'll need to configure what ever you've got on your server to pass-off the handling of local domains too google apps.

Depending on what you've used to setup your MX, cpanel, sendmail.. you'll have to modify it there.

Whilst, I can't gurantee sucsses removing the record from /etc/localdomain and placing it in /etc/remotedomain might be enough to do the trick.
12 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
I should have mentioned that I don't have root access to the server I'm hosted on. But at 5am and not having slept yet, I was bound to leave out one or two details.
13 Dec, 2008, Shigs wrote in the 4th comment:
Then you'll need to either speak to your hosting provider/make suitable configurations within cpanel or indeed use something like swift mailer, which designates the smtp server.

As for swift mailer being a bit tough to tackle. Swift Mailers Wiki covers most bases http://www.swiftmailer.org/wikidocs/ and if you've got any questions on the specifics in regards to that I'm sure someone will be happy to help.
13 Dec, 2008, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
Or I simply make the 2 second change in the mail server config to properly relay his domain for him :)
13 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Had I known it was going to be that easy a change I woulda just pestered Samson about it to begin with. :P
0.0/6