11 Dec, 2008, Orrin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
MudGamers.com has undergone some major changes very recently and I feel we're approaching a beta state as far as features and functionality goes.

What we need now are more quality games to list on the site. If your game is open to players and has something to offer beyond a simple stock clone I'd love to have you list on MudGamers. Listing your game is straightforward and can be done with this submission form. You need to join the site to list a game, but anyone may rate games and play them.

MudGamers is a new community portal site which aims to present text games to players in a modern and accessible way. All the games can be played on the website using an integrated Flash client.

Major changes:
  • The Flash client now works with all games (via a proxy) so admins no longer need to make any changes on their servers.

• Games can now be rated every 24 hours and voting has been opened up to all site visitors.

• The bright green has been replaced with a more sober blue theme.
11 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I would suggest changing "Today's picks" on the front page to "Featured games" – after all, the games weren't picked based on any criteria other than having paid money (at least according to the "your game here" post). Saying "today's picks" makes it sound like some kind of editorial judgment went into the list, which does not appear to be the case.

EDIT: actually it seems that the "your game here" "game" was inserted into the picks list at random; paying brings you to the very top. In fact the whole list seems random. So I still think the name should not be "today's picks" unless there actually is some editorial picking going on.
12 Dec, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 3rd comment:
There is also the problem that there appears to be no way to edit your listing after you have submitted it.
12 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 4th comment:
There is also the problem that there appears to be no way to edit your listing after you have submitted it.

That's why you do it right the first time. Doesn't everyone always do everything right the first time? Seriously… :tongue:
12 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
No. Because listings show your entire email, which is bad. I went back to edit it so I could make it zeno[AT]biyg[DOT]org and couldn't edit it.

Editing = good. Seriously…
12 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 6th comment:
Editing = good. Seriously…

My post was a joke. Seriously…

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the e-mail thing. I didn't even notice that it was being displayed. We need an edit feature - STAT!
12 Dec, 2008, Orrin wrote in the 7th comment:
Zenn said:

It's not ideal that the listings are non editable, however I haven't been able to get it working how I'd like yet so that's how they are.

If anyone needs to change something in the listing they can just drop me an email and I'll fix it. Also if you want to update the listing with new features you can always leave a comment under the original post.

With the emails you can enter whatever you want in the email box when you submit the game so you could obfuscate it or even leave it blank if you really want to. I guess I'm lucky but with google handling my email I've never had a single spam message get through.
12 Dec, 2008, Shigs wrote in the 8th comment:
Orrin said:
Zenn said:

It's not ideal that the listings are non editable, however I haven't been able to get it working how I'd like yet so that's how they are.

If anyone needs to change something in the listing they can just drop me an email and I'll fix it. Also if you want to update the listing with new features you can always leave a comment under the original post.

With the emails you can enter whatever you want in the email box when you submit the game so you could obfuscate it or even leave it blank if you really want to. I guess I'm lucky but with google handling my email I've never had a single spam message get through.

How do you hope to get this thing to reach critical mass. If you lack the basic feature set of its competitors.
12 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
Shigs, I think Orrin's done a good thing. He's offering a free listing, also a way for people to play the games via a flash client (for say the Vista users without telnet). Maybe offer something constructive instead of raining hatorade on his parade?
12 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 10th comment:
Grats Matt on updating the site and making it more accessible to everyone.
12 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 11th comment:
I also just noticed, it supports arrow key movement (or was it num pad…) and full on trigger support!
12 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 12th comment:
also a way for people to play the games via a flash client (for say the Vista users without telnet).

Vista has telnet. It's just not enabled by default.
12 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 13th comment:
Lyanic said:
also a way for people to play the games via a flash client (for say the Vista users without telnet).

Vista has crashes that are enabled by default. :)
12 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 14th comment:

This is also quite true.
12 Dec, 2008, Orrin wrote in the 15th comment:
After a bit of ugly hacking you can now edit your game listings - look for the link at the bottom of the page.
12 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 16th comment:
Awesome Matt, thanks! I know more than a few of my players are quite stoked about the portal; allowing them to connect from work etc.
12 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
The_Fury said:
Lyanic said:

I don't know why everybody keeps saying that, I've been using this laptop with Vista for a little over a year now and have only had one crash and that was caused by a mod I downloaded for starwars: empire at war. My Internet Explorer crashed frequently but that is just cause IE blows ass, so I got firefox.
13 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 18th comment:
Vista isn't any more (or less) stable than XP, which in turn isn't much more (or less) stable than Windows 2000. However, Vista still sucks because it's noticeably slower than XP, which is stupid since it doesn't DO anything extra (beyond eye candy).
13 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
FWIW and at the risk of sounding pedantic, it does do lots of stuff differently, just not necessarily stuff that the end user actually sees (mainly internal model changes). An example of something that is visible to the user is the new security model stuff.
13 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 20th comment:
"Attempting to connect to the internet, Would you like to continue?" Yes. "Attempting to access http://www.mudbytes.net/, continue?" Yes.

I stand by the fact that Vista means:
(V)irus (I)nstalled (S)witch (T)o (A)pple.
0.0/77