02 Dec, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I decided to take another stab at looking for a mud host to develop my project on tonight (I could use an emulator like andLinux, but I'm not real keen on that idea), and I figured I'd try seeing if Slayn.net was still around; resulting in a 404 error. I'm curious: Does anyone know if the Slayn hosting service is dead now, or is it a temporary outage?
02 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you would like some hosting, im sure i can make some space for you to do your own thing, or Zeno would likely do the same thing for you to if you asked, i am sure you have nailed the 3 post to host requirement.
02 Dec, 2008, Banner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Or EvilEye hosting. (http://www.evileyehosting.net) Of course, if you can get your head past the name and see that we have premiere services. *shrug*
02 Dec, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 4th comment:
Lobotomy said:
I decided to take another stab at looking for a mud host to develop my project on tonight (I could use an emulator like andLinux, but I'm not real keen on that idea), and I figured I'd try seeing if Slayn.net was still around; resulting in a 404 error. I'm curious: Does anyone know if the Slayn hosting service is dead now, or is it a temporary outage?

I believe it's dead, I logged into the shell a few days ago and the MOTD was a warning that the server may go offline permanently December 20th. Seems the site may have went down a bit prematurely. (Though I can still can connect to the shell and download all of my data before the server totally goes down.)
02 Dec, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
Aside from Zeno's service, are there any good reliable free hosts?

Seems like tanstaafl, in general. For example, mudmagic
is ridiculously overpriced for the miniscule resources…but at least you know
it's not likely they'll just fold up overnight. They have an incentive to keep
going: ripping you off.

-Crat
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:177155...
02 Dec, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 6th comment:
Cratylus said:
Aside from Zeno's service, are there any good reliable free hosts?

Seems like tanstaafl, in general. For example, mudmagic
is ridiculously overpriced for the miniscule resources…but at least you know
it's not likely they'll just fold up overnight. They have an incentive to keep
going: ripping you off.

-Crat
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:177155...

About the only one I can think of that's even arguably good and reliable is moocowpenguin. They're most definitely reliable as they've been around for a decent bit of time so I doubt they're going anywhere. I doubt I'd call them good though under any circumstances due to one major flaw. I'm not sure if their permissions are still set up poorly but they used to be. I had a friend who hosted with them whose account information I knew. He had suggested I get an account with them (before I had an account with Slayn) and I asked him if I could test something first. (I always try and view other users files on a server before uploading any of my own.) Sadly moocow failed the test, I could view other users files, which is hands down a big enough reason for me to not use a host. (If I can view their files they can most definitely view my files and I'm not all that interested in being a victim of code theft.)
02 Dec, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 7th comment:
I believe Zeno's site to be absolutely free. No gimmicks, just free. He isn't trying to sell anything to anyone (he doesn't even reply to these threads hardly). He has stated on multiple occassions that he is new to having a server and he has resolved his issues on his site. He is learning and doing a very good job on his server. I would recommend him to ANYONE.

So yes, there are other free services as well, but Zeno's site is actually free as opposed to others.

Choose zeno's site if you want free service. I would recommend him over other 'paying' services.
02 Dec, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 8th comment:
Fizban said:
I believe it's dead, I logged into the shell a few days ago and the MOTD was a warning that the server may go offline permanently December 20th. Seems the site may have went down a bit prematurely. (Though I can still can connect to the shell and download all of my data before the server totally goes down.)

Ah, bugger. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I suppose it's to be expected with the way things are going anymore. Just one more headstone for the hill I guess.

It probably really doesn't need to be asked, but since Fizban brought the point up I might as well just for curiosity sake: Zeno/The_Fury, are your mud host servers set up to where a user's files are secure and inaccessible/unviewable/undownloadable by other users? The code theft thing isn't really a problem for me or my current project as much as it would be for a running game, as at least the next version of the code will likely end up being released to the public anyways once it's done, but there's a certain extent where I'd like to keep it under wraps until it's actually ready for another release.
02 Dec, 2008, parn wrote in the 9th comment:
Yes slayn.net is "officially" closing its doors after 10 years… The date will be dec 19 or a month after depending on when the server can be cancelled. It will probably be around dec 19 though.

Here is a post from the forums

The user count compared to the cost of the server and lack of time is the reason behind this.

For a dedicated machine, the tcp count is around 20 average with 57 shell users.

I get the server from liquid web. Its basically this https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/d... plus the addons.The server is a dual core 3.4ghz Pentium with 2gb ram, centos, cpanel+fantastico, 50gb offsite backup. You can figure the cost from there …

In the 10 years of done this, I have received a total sum of $0.00. So this was really a free mud hosting site

-slayn
02 Dec, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 10th comment:
Sorry Lobotomy, but all user files are stored in the same directory.

Kidding. :P
zeno@zeno:~$ ls /home/Fizban
/usr/bin/ls: /home/Fizban: Permission denied
02 Dec, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 11th comment:
parn said:
In the 10 years of done this, I have received a total sum of $0.00. So this was really a free mud hosting site

All in all it was a commendable effort to have provided a free service like that for as long as you did. Kudos, Parn! :smile:

Zeno said:
Sorry Lobotomy, but all user files are stored in the same directory.

Egads! :stare:
02 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 12th comment:
Well i would have access to your files as i am the SU, just as much as Zeno would as well, but other than that a user cannot CD below their home directory, and all the other accounts on my server are mine, i do not generally offer to give anyone space on my server, but offered because your game is in development and open, once you were wanting to close it and run a game i would kick your ass off, LOL, and make you buy your own host. ;)
03 Dec, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 13th comment:
The_Fury said:
Well i would have access to your files as i am the SU, just as much as Zeno would as well, but other than that a user cannot CD below their home directory, and all the other accounts on my server are mine, i do not generally offer to give anyone space on my server, but offered because your game is in development and open, once you were wanting to close it and run a game i would kick your ass off, LOL, and make you buy your own host. ;)

I see. Well, I appreciate the gesture and all, however for the time being I've gone ahead and opted to use Zeno's hosting for now. Thanks anyways, The_Fury. :smile:
03 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 14th comment:
Lobotomy said:
The_Fury said:

I see. Well, I appreciate the gesture and all, however for the time being I've gone ahead and opted to use Zeno's hosting for now. Thanks anyways, The_Fury. :smile:

Thats ok, i would have used him too if i was in your position :) Zeno does a great job with his free hosting service.
04 Dec, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 15th comment:
Fizban said:
Sadly moocow failed the test, I could view other users files, which is hands down a big enough reason for me to not use a host. (If I can view their files they can most definitely view my files and I'm not all that interested in being a victim of code theft.)

False premise. Users control their file permissions.
04 Dec, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 16th comment:
Tyche said:
Fizban said:
Sadly moocow failed the test, I could view other users files, which is hands down a big enough reason for me to not use a host. (If I can view their files they can most definitely view my files and I'm not all that interested in being a victim of code theft.)

Yup yup Tyche. One of the first things I do anytime I get a hosting package is I view what the default permissions are on the my stuff. Then, I fix it to where it is protected.
04 Dec, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 17th comment:
ShadowsDawn said:
Tyche said:
Fizban said:

Yup yup Tyche. One of the first things I do anytime I get a hosting package is I view what the default permissions are on the my stuff. Then, I fix it to where it is protected.

True, though I still think the admins should setup the users entire directory by default to be unviewable
20 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 18th comment:

Funny, that's what I told his friend when he complained about other people being able to view his files! (though I think I offered some advice on what his file permissions SHOULD be)

In reality, both of our servers are pretty damned secure, with login failure detection and auto-banning (its almost too zealous sometimes).
20 Jan, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 19th comment:
Rojan QDel said:

Funny, that's what I told his friend when he complained about other people being able to view his files! (though I think I offered some advice on what his file permissions SHOULD be)

In reality, both of our servers are pretty damned secure, with login failure detection and auto-banning (its almost too zealous sometimes).

There goes my dreams of hacking myself an uberforcer. *sniff*
20 Jan, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 20th comment:
Just thought I'd mention that anyone looking for a free account to start out might consider isunlimited.net.

Internet Services Unlimited

They offer:
* 50 MB of diskspace
* 1% CPU allocation
* 10 MB of RAM
* 1 port
* 10 simultaneous connections
* Connection address of subdomain.isunlimited.net
* No bandwidth limitations, within reason

It's run by Philippe Mesritz (Xandar), who's something of a legend in MUSHing. I worked with him on his last project, and we had 40 players log in opening night, just by word of mouth. Since he's currently working on two new games, I don't think his interest is waning. ;) His tech guys, Kevin and Ervin, really know their stuff. Like Zeno and the Fury, they're all giving something back to the community.
0.0/20