26 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I set up a Rom Area Sanctuary, essentially just a place to download Rom area files that I've collected over the ages.

If anyone wants to contribute from their own collections let me know and I can put them up as well. The areas need to be able to drop into Stock Rom/Quickmud/etc(RaM project all that).

I wouldn't mind setting up a directory for RaM areas as well, ones created by people on the team. Or if you have groups of areas by a certain builder I can make a unique subdir in it.

Anyhoo, it's at:
Rom Area Sanctuary - http://www.ansalonm...
26 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 2nd comment:
Rofl, I posted the same post on TMC and got 2 votes of 'useless'. Apparently not 'RoM' fans.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
TMC doesn't have the way-cool RoM revival project. So there. :tongue:
27 Nov, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
This is great Skol, and as far as I'm concerned the TMC rating system is less than 'useful'. ;D
27 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 5th comment:
A repository of areas is a pretty cool idea!
27 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
unfortunately there are a dozen such websites spread all around the web and they all contain exactly the same areas with maybe 1 or 2 unique areas here and there. for this website to be a success it should NOT contain the areas that can be found in stock rom, but should contain completely original works. i can see by looking at this page that it's already on it's way to being a good repository so my suggestion would be to log onto as many rom based muds as you can find and speak to the owners about your page and ask for contributions. the community truly needs a good repository for rom areas in my opinion. i'll do my part by talking to as many admins as i can about the page. oh yeah, one more suggestion for the page, maybe have a commment box available for people to give a brief overview of what the areas consist of. over all though it looks nice and i look forward to seeing it grow. if the areas i built didn't suck big time i'd submit some of them but none of them are finished. i'm more coder than builder i guess.
27 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
Actually, the RoM type area archives are hard to find now. There's one or two Merc ones from days of old, then there's FTPgame.org's 52 area archive, but it's hard to find exact areas out there specifically for RoM.

I think by putting separate dirs for builders (ie Lok/Strahd etc), we can keep track of what's missing, who has what and all that. I'll look at recoding the php directory listing page to check for a matching .txt file and then put that link in an 'about' pop-up or such. That'd be nice. Also have it create a real area name (vs filename) from the directory (just check existence of the file in a list, it's not there, find the name, spit back into the list). I wouldn't mind an area overview, vnum range shown, that sort of thing.

So far though it's just basically a big 'blah' of areas, with a tiny bit of sorting.

Mainly, I just wanted to make sure that people had a place to go get that area file they were looking for. Like I found back in the day on other sites, but without the Romalama's 'give to get' as that is kind of like requiring a 50 room area in a month, you get crap back heh.

Any suggestions, fire away ;).
27 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
ok after looking through my bookmarks i found only one page that had an area repository and that was only the stock areas with 2 areas i've not seen before. i could have sworn that some of my other bookmarks had area repositories but i was mistaken. anyway, you've got the only suggestions i have for the moment. i've bookmarked your page and will definately keep checking back on it. thanks for doing all that work, it really helps folks like me who don't have any staff and suck at building.
27 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
I think an area repository that split areas up by general "theme" would be a fantastic idea. While we don't intend to stick to the original ROM format, we will be able to load them, so it's be a plus for us as well. :)
04 Dec, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 10th comment:
We can stick an area repository in the 'code repository' of MB, and make someone a moderator of that. =P
04 Dec, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 11th comment:
There already are folders in most of the bigger bases. Merc, Rom, and Smaug all have Areas folder, and I'm moderator of the Smaug one… have been for a while now. There's even 56 areas in the rom area folder.
05 Dec, 2008, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 12th comment:
I'd like to make some Rom rooms, objects and mobs to throw somewhere where someone could use them if they wanted too. Haven't used it in years. Think I started usin' it on Alander's <sp?> MUD Rehobram's Legacy <sp?> a long time ago and a little elsewhere, but I think it was OLC. Don't remember all the the guidelines..I'd probrably wanna do it offline tho'.

I always liked the church of stupidity in the towns of midgard, is that stock? I think an expansion on that would be really cool. My stupid is very strong..
05 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 13th comment:
Sounds great Jhypsy, wonder if ORB is still around? There's a couple off-line area creators on TMC I believe.
So far the Rom Area Sanctuary has 130+ areas btw.
06 Dec, 2008, Dean wrote in the 14th comment:
I've never built on Rom as far as memory serves but I'm willing to in the future 'whip' up a zone for your respository.
01 Jan, 2009, Crystal wrote in the 15th comment:
Why don't you find some RoM MUD's and see if they were willing to donate an are or something for exchange of a link to their MUD?
02 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 16th comment:
Honestly? I kind of just wanted to be a resource for people to have areas to download and try out, add in etc. If people want to send in areas, awesome, if not?, no sweat. I wouldn't mind having an 'about the area'/'about the author' part as well, just depends if people want to share.

Seriously though, if _no one_ donates? I'm still cool with that, I just wanted to put up a resource much like those few that were around ages ago when I started. I really don't care to try and promote people's games etc, more the builder than the game. Much as I admired Lok when I started for thinking of things and making well-balanced areas with extra descriptions providing interest for those who'd take the time to look… well, that's about it, I just am looking at it as a 'like it? Take it' type thing.

I have my own game, going on 13 years? I lose count heh, heck I wasn't the guy starting it, but the point is I'm not really looking to promote 'other' games, so much as to help out people starting new MUDs out (particularly ROM flavor or RaM etc). To give them a place to pick and choose things to add to their digs, maybe get an influence or two, have some fun, all that.
02 Jan, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 17th comment:
Jhypsy Shah said:
I'd like to make some Rom rooms, objects and mobs to throw somewhere where someone could use them if they wanted too… I'd probrably wanna do it offline tho'.

Try Gammon's "Area Edit" (www.gammon.com.au) It has a few odd glitches (like, to save a change on a page, you have to move to another page before the "save" icon lights up), but anything it can load, will load into stock ROM, guaranteed (ROM itself will check for reverse exits).
0.0/17