Votes: 0
EvilEye hosting offers 100% free hosting for:

-Your MUD/MOO/MUCK/MU*
-TeamSpeak servers
-Webspace, Forums
-Virtual Server Rental

EvilEye is currently accepting applicatons for the services
listed above. EvilEye is a free, friendly, and experienced hosting
service that will host your service - free of charge to you.
Up-to-date PHP/MySQL support, packages to run all MUD codebases,
and 100% free. Unlike other "free" hosting services, there are no
hidden fees, "hookup" or "signup" charges, or those "one time donations".

Need help getting started? Contact Support:
-Live Chat Support
-Forums
-Contact Emails/Form
-Aim/MSN
-EvilEye's Teamspeak Server

Connect and get setup right now:
http://www.evileyehosting.net/

Specs:
1290GB Storage
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
8GB DDR2 Ram

brian@evileyehosting.net
michael@evileyehosting.net
26 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Up-to-date PHP/MySQL support, packages to run all MUD codebases,
and 100% free. Unlike other "free" hosting services, there are no

This sounds pretty nice. I visited your site to
find out more, but I found information that confused
me a little bit.

It appears that you *do* offer free hosting, but
only at the lowest "tier" of service. It would seem
that you are a commercial host with some free
services, actually, rather than a free host. That's
fine, that's your business, I just was surprised a
little bit. Maybe that's my fault for making the
incorrect assumption. No biggie.

The part that confuses me, though, is that the lowest
tier appears to be based on percentages. 1% CPU I
understand, but rather than me hunting down your
server specs and doing the math, could you please
specify exactly how many megabytes is represented
by %1 ram?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 3rd comment:
The paid packages are one time fee, not monthly. So for as little as a flat $20 fee, you could have service that is far better than something you're pay $30 a month for anywhere else.. :cool:

Process tracking server-side is done percentage wise, so we provide the allotments as percentages. Since the server has 8GB of ram, 1% of that would be approximately 80mb.

http://evileyehosting.net/phpsysinfo/
26 Nov, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 4th comment:
Unlike other "free" hosting services, there are no

ok, So you're not really free then. You provide something free, but it's probably not very good as say Zeno's free. His free really means free. All the space/RAM/CPU you want (within reason) all free. That's what your ad makes me feel like you're saying (that's it's free and great), but in reality that's not true.

Me personally, I think that's deceptive advertising as you're trying to get people to go to your site looking for a free hosting service that's so good it's scary, whereas if you just advertised that you had mud/web hosting packages with one package being free it would have come across much better.

I'm not saying that you have poor service because I don't know what your service is like, but I just think your 'ad' is deceptive. But then again, I guess that's how must of commercial businesses act regarding advertising. A sad truth.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
I agree with tphegley: "so good it's scary" is actually kind of scary in this context but perhaps in the unintended way. :wink: The ad would come across much better if the free hosting were advertised as a starter package, a free alternative, a free trial period, etc. The business model seems to be to get people in, and then have them upgrade to a for-pay package, so it'd be a little more up-front to reflect that in the advertisement.
26 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 6th comment:
We do not require you to pay a "one-time" fee or a "signup",
"hookup", or "setup" charge. We are 100% free. What's the catch?
There are none. We offer our services, time, and resources to you
free of charge because we choose to. We ask for nothing in return.

Snipped from mudconnect.com.

MUD Hosting Package:
Tier 0: ($0.00)
- 1.0% CPU Usage
- 1.0% MEM Usage
- 100 MB Hard Drive Space
- 1 Login Account
- 1 Port
- 0 Databases
- Webspace: N/A

Snipped from evileyehosting.com.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Basically the same message but not plagiarized… there are only so many ways to say that you don't charge for something. :wink:
26 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 8th comment:
I just thought I'd put it up there for anyone considering it, and save them a bit of lost steam when they realize what they're really getting.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Ah. Yes, I agree that the package in question is not exactly a very useful package, even if it's free. It's better than nothing, but the other free hosts out there offer a much more interesting package.
26 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 10th comment:
We are 100% free.

I think it's important to be careful with wording on
this sort of thing. I think a reasonable person would
interpret "We are 100% free" as meaning that 100%
of their services are free.

Apparently they mean that 100% of their free services
are free, which…well, it's hard to comment on it constructively.

I remember seeing some biglong threads on TMS about
commercial muds claiming to be 100% free, and insisting
people were being weird and unreasonable when they
pointed out that some folks might regard pay-for-perks
as being de-facto not 100% free.

I think reasonable people can disagree on the niggling details…
but I expect responsible commercial advertisers in this community
to be straightforward enough as to avoid insulting my intelligence.

Well, perhaps "expect" is too strong a term.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
EvilEye Hosting said:
MUD Hosting Package:
Tier 0: ($0.00)
- 1.0% CPU Usage
- 1.0% MEM Usage
- 100 MB Hard Drive Space
- 1 Login Account
- 1 Port
- 0 Databases
- Webspace: N/A

Kinda sub-par for a free MUD host. I'm pretty sure Zeno'll give ya a MySQL DB and some webspace… I could be mistaken though.
26 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 12th comment:
If you don't like it, don't sign up. If you'd rather pay $10-15 a month for what he offer for a $10 one time fee, that's fine by us. We're not out to beat the rest of you and we're not here to compete. The EvilEye server is simply for those who want it. We don't get, need, or require anything of any of our free users, and donating surely doesn't give you any better support than the other users.

And for those of you that aren't computer savvy, Zeno's server has 7GB less RAM and 1210GB less hdd space than the EvilEye Server, and we also have a dual core. Like I said, take it or leave it. We're not competing.
26 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
I think that people are objecting much more to how you presented your message than the message itself.
27 Nov, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 14th comment:
Banner said:
If you don't like it, don't sign up. If you'd rather pay $10-15 a month for what he offer for a $10 one time fee, that's fine by us. We're not out to beat the rest of you and we're not here to compete. The EvilEye server is simply for those who want it. We don't get, need, or require anything of any of our free users, and donating surely doesn't give you any better support than the other users.

And for those of you that aren't computer savvy, Zeno's server has 7GB less RAM and 1210GB less hdd space than the EvilEye Server, and we also have a dual core. Like I said, take it or leave it. We're not competing.

Zeno's server or virtual server I believe actually is quite fast. I happen to have my site there (www.legendsofold.com and www.admud.com) with the qsfp forums set up. Zeno lets me use as much DB's as I need although I don't need many. He is prompt with his service and if something goes wrong he fixes it quickly. I don't really care what Zeno's specs are because he has a great hosting site and I haven't had a problem with any lagging because his server has 7GB less RAM or whatever. And I don't think I can fill up 1210gb of Hdd with a mud.

I digress, I didn't have a problem with your server stats or anything like that, I just didn't like the way it was put, and no…I'm not paying $20 a month to host my mud. I'm not paying anything with a great server host. *shrug*
27 Nov, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 15th comment:
Banner said:

If you aren't competing why are you stating comparisons? Also how much RAM and HD space each server has isn't what matters. How much RAM and HD space each user on the server has allocated to them is. Also I wouldn't have to pay $10-$15 a month for what you charge a one-time fee for. I get more than what you charge a $10 fee for for free from http://www.slayn.net .

Here's what they give for free:

250 MB HD
3 ports
3 databases
20 email addresses
2 mailing lists
subdomain
3 sub-subdomains
15% cpu/mem (3.2 GHz Dual-Core Pentium D 2 GB RAM)
55 day uptime, 403 previous uptime before the most recent reboot

I'm not complaining that your packages are necessarily poor, but if you're going to advertise that your free package is the best around and that it beats other paid packages when it indeed doesn't even include webspace or mysql access despite your ad making it sound like it does I'm going to poke at the flaws in said statement.
27 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 16th comment:
Fizban said:
If you aren't competing why are you stating comparisons? Also how much RAM and HD space each server has isn't what matters. How much RAM and HD space each user on the server has allocated to them is. Also I wouldn't have to pay $10-$15 a month for what you charge a one-time fee for. I get more than what you charge a $10 fee for for free from http://www.slayn.net .

Actually, it does. If the server has 1GB of ram and you're allocated 1%, that's 10MB. If the server has 8GB and you're allocated 1%, that's 80mb. Your compiler and other programs will also run better regardless of your allocations, although hdd space would be user dependent. Slayn.net also has a less RAM, but those were the only stats they had available.

Fizban said:
I'm not complaining that your packages are necessarily poor, but if you're going to advertise that your free package is the best around and that it beats other paid packages when it indeed doesn't even include webspace or mysql access despite your ad making it sound like it does I'm going to poke at the flaws in said statement.

I'd like a quote of where we claimed that.

tphegley said:
Zeno's server or virtual server I believe actually is quite fast. I happen to have my site there (www.legendsofold.com and www.admud.com) with the qsfp forums set up. Zeno lets me use as much DB's as I need although I don't need many. He is prompt with his service and if something goes wrong he fixes it quickly. I don't really care what Zeno's specs are because he has a great hosting site and I haven't had a problem with any lagging because his server has 7GB less RAM or whatever. And I don't think I can fill up 1210gb of Hdd with a mud.

I digress, I didn't have a problem with your server stats or anything like that, I just didn't like the way it was put, and no…I'm not paying $20 a month to host my mud. I'm not paying anything with a great server host. *shrug*

As I said, if that's good enough for you, then so be it. We're not competing. :)

At any rate, EvilEye will be upgrading it's free packages to all current and prospective users since some of the things some of you said makes some sense, so thanks for that much.
27 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
wow you guys are jumping all over banner and from my point of view he doesn't deserve half as much as he's getting here. sure he may have left out the fact that he ALSO has some packages you can pay for, but thats not the thing he was trying to advertise. he was advertising for the free packages solely. you jumping on him for also having other packages and not mentioning them in the ad is like bitching at macintosh for not mentioning their computers in an iPhone commercial. it's ridiculous. and the way i see it, he brought up the stat differences because he probably felt like he was being attacked and felt the need to defend his services. i for one am disgusted with the way everybody jumped on him like that. that's something i would expect over at TMC which is why i don't even read the forums there anymore. I have grown accustomed to the people here being a little bit more mature. It's not like he lied and said he had free services when he only has pay services. the 100% free was referring to that one package. it IS totally free and he was saying 100% because he doesn't ask for a "setup" fee for it, which i've seen in the past from people who claimed to have "free" hosting. why not give the guy a break and NOT hound him for slightly mis-worded ad? he is after all human (i assume). i'm gonna stop typing now cause i'm kinda fired up and don't wanna start ranting, but i just wanted you guys to know how TMC-ish you sounded.
27 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 18th comment:
Put dooooown the pitchforks and torches.

This isn't a license violator hunt.
27 Nov, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 19th comment:
Why does it even matter? Seriously, folks, it's not like Coca-Cola SuperDuperCaffeineDrink came up with the slogan 'It will make you Live Forever! Woo!

It's a server, for gods' sakes. They can advertise however they like. If you get to the website, look at the package, and you decide you don't want it, you don't get it. It's as simple as that. I would imagine that anyone starting their own MUD or looking for hosting space in the first place isn't such a dumbass that they can't see for themselves what is and what is not a good deal for them. And if they are, well, they don't need to be starting up a MUD anyway.

[Edit]: Also, why can't we turn our torches and pitchforks towards something worthwhile? Like, Congress?
27 Nov, 2008, Banner wrote in the 20th comment:
Zenn said:
Why does it even matter? Seriously, folks, it's not like Coca-Cola SuperDuperCaffeineDrink came up with the slogan 'It will make you Live Forever! Woo!

It's a server, for gods' sakes. They can advertise however they like. If you get to the website, look at the package, and you decide you don't want it, you don't get it. It's as simple as that. I would imagine that anyone starting their own MUD or looking for hosting space in the first place isn't such a dumbass that they can't see for themselves what is and what is not a good deal for them. And if they are, well, they don't need to be starting up a MUD anyway.

[Edit]: Also, why can't we turn our torches and pitchforks towards something worthwhile? Like, Congress?

And I knew it wouldn't be long until had you put your 2 cents in. Good morning Zenn! Kudos to igabod. Much thanks for being sensible.
0.0/26