24 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Since Talon has been taken down, the IMC logging no longer works and there is no longer a quick-and-easy server for people to connect to. I could write a new logging bot fairly quickly; the only real question at that point would be where to host it. It would also be fairly easy to write a new standalone server for people to connect to. It might be easiest to combine these two into a single application (or have the bot act as a local client to that standalone server).

Does anybody care about this? Personally I quite like the online log files and would like to see them continue, so I'm fairly motivated to write whatever code needs writing. Obviously the MudBytes page would have to redirect to wherever the bot would have write access for this to work.
24 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Does anybody care about this? Personally I quite like the online log files and would like to see them continue

I actually would do this myself, if you weren't already on it.
You care more, I think, so I think you'd be better.

On a somewhat related note, I was talking to someone who
seems to be planning to set up a new RSS news bot for
IMC2 to pick up where megabot left off.

So if folks have a favorite feed they'd like to see, maybe
I can hijack this thread very slightly and invite them
to post it here?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
24 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
I like the idea of everything being together in one centralized location. The News and Logger bots and the client being one thing would be a godsend. And I can volunteer to host the whole thing right beside Server02 as well.
24 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
If we have an RSS bot lying around, I agree that it would make perfect sense to integrate it with the new logging/client/etc.
24 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
The person in question already does it for i3. You can see logs of it here:

http://ebspso.dnsalias.org/i3logs/inews#...

It's an LPC bot, and I'm not the person doing it, so all I can do
is ask him to read this thread and comment on it when
he gets a chance.

Out of curiosity…not trying to quibble, but what diff would it
make for the bot to run on one server versus another?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
24 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
It doesn't make a huge difference in terms of end-users. Having things in one place makes it somewhat easier to administer them.
24 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
Well, it doesn't really matter, but if it's all in a centralized location if anything goes wrong with any part of it, we don't have to try and get a hold of anyone, or try and figure out who was hosting it. We'd already know where it was. I'm just trying to make it easy to administer is all. :P
24 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
the old crappy rss bot is available in the code repos.
25 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
So, DavidHaley and I are going to work on getting a replacement for Talon and MegaBot working over the next couple days. And while David works on the initial setup and works out a plan for how things will work, I'm gathering information on what people want to see. So.

Obviously we're going to have a new Client and logger. People liked the Newsbot, so obviously he's coming back. The question is what feeds would people like to see on the Newsbot? I've got the following ready: BBC, CBC, FoxNews, CNN, The Register, Gammon's forums, MudBytes, SmaugMuds.org, and QSFPortal. What else would people like to see? Post here and let me know.

As for the games, I'll work on getting those back, but those aren't exactly at the top of the priority queue right now, but if there are any games people would like to see, feel free to post them here. Those slated to be back are Trivia, Chaos, and Uno. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Also, if anyone would like to contribute modules, I believe we're going to use Lua for everything, but David can correct me if I'm wrong. :)
25 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 10th comment:
Kayle said:
Obviously we're going to have a new Client and logger. People liked the Newsbot, so obviously he's coming back. The question is what feeds would people like to see on the Newsbot? I've got the following ready: BBC, CBC, FoxNews, CNN, The Register, Gammon's forums, MudBytes, SmaugMuds.org, and QSFPortal. What else would people like to see? Post here and let me know.

You might as well make that list complete and include MudConnect and Top Mud Sites feeds as well.
25 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 11th comment:
25 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Yup, the vast majority of logic will be in Lua. Some of the socket stuff or low-level packet managing might be in C/C++, but I'll have to finish evaluating the IMC protocol/client code first.
25 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 13th comment:

*snicker*
25 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 14th comment:
Tyche said:

*snicker*

LOL you naughty naughty man. Funny, but naughty.
25 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 15th comment:
Just what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

-Crat
25 Nov, 2008, Tricky wrote in the 16th comment:
Slashdot might be nice to put into the news feeds…

http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdo...

Tricky
25 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 17th comment:
Cratylus said:
Just what the @$#! is that supposed to mean?

You're going to frighten away noobs with that potty mouth.
Also please consider implementing an ICapitalize channel.
It's "God damn it" not "god damn it".
/smirk
25 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 18th comment:
Cratylus said:
Just what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

-Crat

Language please, children read this page and you might offend some religious person who abstains from all sexual activity. :devil:
26 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 19th comment:
Fascinating stuff one learns on IMC…
So Dr. Richard Bartle masquerades as both Lord British and the author of "Mud Game Programming" then?

ThanX for preserving this for posterity.
heh
26 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 20th comment:
Tyche said:
Fascinating stuff one learns on IMC…
So Dr. Richard Bartle masquerades as both Lord British and the author of "Mud Game Programming" then?

ThanX for preserving this for posterity.
heh

LOL I think i got Richard Bartle mixed up with that other asshole Ron Penton. I will stand corrected however. Richard Bartle is probably still an asshole, he has just not been an asshole towards me.
0.0/20