20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Can someone fix the IMC in Smaug 1.8b?
in the code it says use -DUSE_IMC to enable it. but when I do I get a lot of errors.
this is about the only thing it needs to make it good.

Corey
20 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
What errors do you get?

Also, this is probably the wrong section.
20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 3rd comment:
Zeno said:
What errors do you get?

Also, this is probably the wrong section.

Microsoft (R) Visual C++ Project Builder - Command Line Version 9.00.30729
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started: Project: smaug, Configuration: Debug|Win32
Linking…
boards.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _imc_post_mail referenced in function _do_note
comm.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _imc_shutdown referenced in function _mainthread
comm.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _icec_init referenced in function _mainthread
comm.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _imc_startup referenced in function _mainthread
comm.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _imc_fill_fdsets referenced in function _accept_new
comm.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _imc_idle_select referenced in function _game_loop
interp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _icec_command_hook referenced in function _interpret
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rwhois referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rwho referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rtell referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rsockets referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rreply referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rquery referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rping referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rinfo referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rignore referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rfinger referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rdisconnect referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rconnect referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rchanset referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rchannels referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_rbeep referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_mailqueue referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_istats referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_isetup referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_imclist referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_imc referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_ilist referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_icommand referenced in function _skill_function
tables.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _do_ichannels referenced in function _skill_function
.\Debug/smaug.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 30 unresolved externals
Build log was saved at "file://d:\wsmaug\src\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
smaug - 31 error(s), 0 warning(s)
20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 4th comment:
never mind. I see the imc code was never ported to windows and is still called linux files.
damn, I hate half assed ports. What good is converting just the main code and leaving the rest?
20 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Are we talking about WinSmaug 1.8b -Official?

Anyway, can't say I would ever recommend Windows for hosting/compiling Smaug.
20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 6th comment:
Zeno said:

yes, I only have windows to use.
20 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 7th comment:
You can run various Linux "emulators" such as Cygwin or andLinux on Windows.
20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 8th comment:
Zeno said:
You can run various Linux "emulators" such as Cygwin or andLinux on Windows.

yeah, I played with smaugfuss 1.9 a bit. have to download like 500 megs of cygwin for it.
and it won't run as a service, you have to leave a window open for it.
20 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
You can run it in the background from Cygwin, no need to leave the window open.

And these things really weren't designed for Windows; it's fortunate if anything works at all.
20 Nov, 2008, drcorey wrote in the 10th comment:
DavidHaley said:
You can run it in the background from Cygwin, no need to leave the window open.

And these things really weren't designed for Windows; it's fortunate if anything works at all.

How do you run it in the background in cygwin?
20 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Add a "&" to the end of whatever command line you're using. E.g.

../src/smaug 4000 &

that will run it in the background.

You might need to prefix it with "nohup" to prevent it from quitting when you close the cygwin box.
20 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
drcorey said:
yeah, I played with smaugfuss 1.9 a bit. have to download like 500 megs of cygwin for it.
and it won't run as a service, you have to leave a window open for it.

You might be installing far more of Cygwin than you need.
All you need beyond the base default install is gcc-core, binutils, and make.
The cygrunsrv package allows you to install your mud as a Windows service.

drcorey said:
damn, I hate half assed ports. What good is converting just the main code and leaving the rest?

It's quite possible the author of the port had zero interest in IMC.
20 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 13th comment:
Andlinux, as some have mentioned above, installs as a windows program and uses windows as the linux desktop. It runs as a service within windows and gives you an extra menu in the task bar to start applications. If your looking to jump into linux, i would recommend this to you as the best possible solution. It is easy to install, require no configuration, has access to any program that you may want via synaptic and apt-get. As the vast majority of mud servers are written for linux, it would make life easier on you to get some form of linux to work in.
21 Nov, 2008, Guest wrote in the 14th comment:
Also as far as official releases from the authors, those aren't likely to be touched by anyone else after the fact. That's why projects like SmaugFUSS exist. You're really doing yourself a huge disservice by using something that's going to contain numerous bugs and other nits such as the one you found.
21 Nov, 2008, Sharmair wrote in the 15th comment:
Zeno said:

I have never seen this WinSmaug you speak of, so I don't know how it is different then stock
SMAUG 1.8, but SMAUG like circlemud and probably a few others, is cross platform (though
there seems to always be some small thing that still has to be changed). I have helped on a
lot of different MUDs of different bases and have always used MSVC to work on the code off line.
I find the development environment much better then shell. Though the code would be uploaded
to a *nix shell to run the live MUD, I have no problems testing under windows. Some bases like
ROM (that are not WIN32 ready) do take maybe an hour or so making cross platform, and most
of the changes have to do with socket programming and don't tend to change in normal MUD
development, so there is not much needed for the port once it is done. In fact, just recently I
was getting a SFMUG-0.3 ported (a SMAUG derivitive) and while I was at it fixed up the i3.c file
included.

In this case, I kind of wonder (from the errors he is getting) if the IMC files are even in the project,
or even shipped with the code he has. Anyway, I am not sure how much i3 differs from the old IMC,
but I could give pointers to the kinds of changes I had to make if he wants to port it (I may have
converted IMC some time ago, but I would have to check).
13 Dec, 2008, Guest wrote in the 16th comment:
The IMC files found in the official 1.8b distro are the old junky ones that have been floating around since 1.02b. RoD stopped using IMC a long time ago and they simply didn't bother to remove it before distributing the codebase. Updating it to use the current IMC client would work just fine, provided the old IMC client was removed first.
0.0/16