15 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
comfotable

Awesome. And we even have our own language. :P
16 Nov, 2008, Conner wrote in the 2nd comment:
Thanks, Kayle, I'm sure that making a big deal of my having omitted a character from a word really helps to make a new person feel welcome here.

Daiki, please just ignore Kayle's sad attempt at a jibe. MudBytes is not a bad place and most of the folks here are perfectly willing to overlook petty minor typos when they happen, especially if they are fairly infrequent and don't detract from the meaning of what's posted enough to make anyone question what you were trying to say because they know perfectly well that we all make them from time to time, some of us much more so than others. I'm guessing that Kayle was trying to have fun at my expense here because he knows that I have some computer hardware issues at the moment which affect my keyboard but normally am rather meticulous about my typing and only usually botch very specific words like 'you'. But as I said initially, welcome aboard and feel free to join the crowd however & wherever you feel most comfortable.
16 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hmm, I think it was just a joke and shouldn't have been taken quite so seriously. :rolleyes:
16 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 4th comment:
Conner said:
Thanks, Kayle, I'm sure that making a big deal of my having omitted a character from a word really helps to make a new person feel welcome here.

Daiki, please just ignore Kayle's sad attempt at a jibe. MudBytes is not a bad place and most of the folks here are perfectly willing to overlook petty minor typos when they happen, especially if they are fairly infrequent and don't detract from the meaning of what's posted enough to make anyone question what you were trying to say because they know perfectly well that we all make them from time to time, some of us much more so than others. I'm guessing that Kayle was trying to have fun at my expense here because he knows that I have some computer hardware issues at the moment which affect my keyboard but normally am rather meticulous about my typing and only usually botch very specific words like 'you'. But as I said initially, welcome aboard and feel free to join the crowd however & wherever you feel most comfortable.

Way. To. Take. A. Joke.
16 Nov, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
You know what, David, I don't really care what you think.

Kayle: There's a time and place for everything, your "joke" was not in good taste as it only served to present someone who was a newbie here a clear reason not to want to stay here by attacking something petty about a post welcoming them to the site. Personally I'm tired of being jumped on for every contribution to this site, particularly when the posts in question have been offering someone a kindness of any sort so if you feel my reaction was over the top, stuff your opinion up David's backside.

To anyone else who feels the need to critique my being the only one here to try to make a new member feel welcome: Where was your greeting to this new person?

Admins here: Now you know why I don't feel welcome here anymore and have taken to so rarely posting, this environment has become very hostile over the last few months (pretty much since shortly before Samson's first resignation) and I've no real interest in participating in it any further.

Daiki: I tried, read the forums and make your own decision, but you can clearly see a sampling of what posting here does for you. Some people here are very nice and try hard to be helpful, some seem to know everything about everything, or at least think they do, and some people here… well, you can see for yourself. It's a community, of sorts, and every community has its own variety of people..
16 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 6th comment:
You know what…

Wow.

Dude, this thread was light-hearted til you wigged.

As for the other stuff, why not start a separate
thread to discuss your concerns? I'd like to hear them,
but I'm not sure this thread is the spot for it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
16 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 7th comment:
Had I known I was going to set off what was obviously a ticking bomb, I wouldn't have jokingly made fun of your usually impeccable spelling/grammar.

[Edit:] And I'm not exactly sure what your problem with David is, but I made no form of attack. The only one attacking anyone here is you.
16 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
I think this is what's known as an initiation, or trial by fire? If daiki hasn't run away screaming by now, he'll probably have fun reading our foolishness. *waves* Hi daiki!
16 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 9th comment:
Welcome Daiki!

And for the rest of you:

Chill out.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter and that's all you're going to make me say on the matter. (This is a not-so-subtle hint, in case you don't get it.)
16 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 10th comment:
kiasyn said:
And for the rest of you:

Chill out.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter and that's all you're going to make me say on the matter. (This is a not-so-subtle hint, in case you don't get it.)

Sorry Kiasyn, but I just don't understand what happened here. I made the same kind of comment I'd made jokingly several times before. And it ends up nearly spiraling into a flame war. I mean, really, it was a comment made in jest. Because Conner normally has impeccable spelling and grammar. And his assertion that I had any idea he was having hardware issues is absurd. That's like telling me I know that the guys working on RaM are having compiler errors they can't figure out, without them having said anything about it.

Because seriously, had Conner merely said something along the lines of "Ah, hardware issues at their best." instead of what was actually said, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. Hell, had he explained that it was a hardware issue without resorting to attacks. I probably would have apologized. But since I got attacked for merely making a joke about his normally impeccable typing, I no longer feel that the need to apologize lies in my court.
16 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 11th comment:
(And Kayle didn't do anything wrong. Conner just seems to be uptight)
16 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
This topic was split from: http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...
16 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 13th comment:
Kayle said:
kiasyn said:
And for the rest of you:

Chill out.

Sorry Kiasyn, but I just don't understand what happened here. I made the same kind of comment I'd made jokingly several times before. And it ends up nearly spiraling into a flame war. I mean, really, it was a comment made in jest. Because Conner normally has impeccable spelling and grammar. And his assertion that I had any idea he was having hardware issues is absurd. That's like telling me I know that the guys working on RaM are having compiler errors they can't figure out, without them having said anything about it.

Because seriously, had Conner merely said something along the lines of "Ah, hardware issues at their best." instead of what was actually said, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. Hell, had he explained that it was a hardware issue without resorting to attacks. I probably would have apologized. But since I got attacked for merely making a joke about his normally impeccable typing, I no longer feel that the need to apologize lies in my court.

Apparently you didn't get my subtle hint. Even though I pointed it out. Personally I thought it was clear I didn't want to hear any further on the subject. Including but not limited to any reasoning, any further argument, or any discussion of what I just said. I'm happy for it to be in a different thread, but to derail the welcoming of a newbie to MUDBytes so far, and in that direction is just disgusting to me. While I accept that initially you are not to blame, I essentially pardoned everyone above my post to clear the confusion and allowed the thread a chance to continue without drama. You messed that up.

Perhaps now I've made myself more clear.
16 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
This is a seriously disturbing turn of events and way of handling the situation.
16 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 15th comment:
Well I don't get it. This thing went from room
temperature to popping the mercury in an eyeblink.

I'm going to guess that I'm just missing something,
because this is just weird.

Kiasyn wrote:
Personally I thought it was clear I didn't want to hear any further on the subject. Including but not limited to any reasoning, any further argument, or any discussion of what I just said.

Actually not only was that not clear, but if someone
else had stated that this was what you meant, I would
have chided them for trying to make you look like an
intemperate and heavyhanded admin.

-Crat
16 Nov, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 16th comment:
Pathetic.
16 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:
Ya, I'm kinda gunna have to agree with Asylumius here. I'm rather shocked to see how a newbie is welcomed, a little embarrassed and surprised at the users involved. Thanks for the split Kiasyn. Hopefully it can get that thread back on track :S
16 Nov, 2008, Dragona wrote in the 18th comment:
I think I can sum up Conner problem in a few words. he is tired of being picked on for every little thing he says, I am not going to list names cause you already know who you are. He has been talking about leaving MB for a good 6+ months and someone talks him in to staying. I left here right after it started because of the same thing and tried to leave IMC but was talked out of that. You guys need to quit picking on other people, if you really need someone to pick on pick on yourself for a change. I don't know if Conner will be back here or not, perhaps not and that would be a good thing cause he spends more of his time dealing with this crap and then ranting which takes him forever to get things done, which takes away from having time for the family.
16 Nov, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 19th comment:
I don't know what happened in the past, but that is no excuse for Conner to act how he did in this thread.
16 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 20th comment:
I'm rather shocked to see how a newbie is welcomed

I think he was welcomed just fine. AFAIK nobody
uttered a single unkind word in his direction.

What he saw in addition to being cordially welcomed
is a bunch of opinionated folks who sometimes
disagree strongly and have a history. No offense, but BFD.
That's a description of every internet community I'm
aware of.

We're not in danger of "TMCifying", and we're pretty
far from being a hostile place. Nobody aggressed the
newbie, and if anything, he just got a taste of how
this community handles a transgression. I hope you
won't take this wrong, but IMO the members passed the
test fine, and the admins get a C-. There's no need
for hand wringing or leather boots.

This event was trivial.

As for the "picking on people" stuff, I hope this
doesn't sound rude but, well, welcome to the internet.
People will disagree with you all the time. The real
question is whether the result is constructive, and
IMO, there was only one member here who was behaving
in a counterproductive way.

You're going to get kidded. Get used to it. C'mon.
We're grownups. If things have got to where you make
a spectacle because someone ribs you on a typo, then
it's time to consider whether the other person is
really the problem. It's not their fault if you've
bottled everything up until you explode out of nowhere.
You have to take a little ownership of the
conflict resolution too.

-Crat
0.0/81