14 Nov, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Everyone here probably knows of a really good, well-coded mud that just doesn't seem to get any players, maybe because it's too niche or isn't promoted. And then I'd wager most people here know of an awesome-sounding mud in the works (maybe even your mud) that never got off the ground for whatever reason.

So I'm curious if you had to wish for onemud to thrive and get more players, and wish for onemud to make the leap from 'in development' to 'open', what would those muds be?

Here are mine:

wish for a mud that is: Blood Dusk
This mud just feels different than a lot of muds out there (and well, it actually is different too I guess). It's worth playing, you can find connection information for it pretty easily.

wish for a mud that isn't: Dark Voyage
The project of some of the coders of the old Inquisition I believe, this sounded so cool but I think it's on permanent hiatus. I haven't been able to find the old web pages for it.

Anyway, let's hear your picks.
14 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
wish for a mud that is: A Dark Portal
This was the first MUD I ever played. I recently got the source code and areas for it, and attempted to revive it. The interest was minimal, but I also came to realize that it wasn't so much the game, but the dozens of people that made it an awesome MUD. Really hard to replace those.

wish for a mud that isn't: A Dark Portal: New World
This was v2.0 of the MUD I played on. It's development and content are already very far along. So much so that it could probably support a player base. It's crippled by a few bugs and an incomplete (yet huge) world that just doesn't quite work right. There's even a 3.0 of this MUD. It was only concept but the concepts were awesome! You'd essentially build everything from the particle level and have infinite possibilities. Those ADPers had some cool ideas.
14 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 3rd comment:
wish for a mud that is: Sentience: Unconsciousness Unleashed.
I played this game for a few years and in its hay day had a peak of about 30 players. It was the first mud that i had played which has overland maps, ships both nautical and aeronautical. It has a good variety of zones and equipment, its now more or less in limbo with a a full overhaul of the ROM engine taking place, oh and this place has a script engine that is just amazing, makes DG look amateurish.

wish for a mud that isn't: The Oriental Dojo
Well its mine and i would love to see it completed, now that i am finnished uni till next year i will be butting in lots of hours a week to try and get it to a level of Finnish suitable for a good hard test.
14 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
The_Fury said:
Well its mine and i would love to see it completed, now that i am finnished uni till next year i will be butting in lots of hours a week to try and get it to a level of Finnish suitable for a good hard test.

Sounds like a good goal, but watch out for the Swedes who might intervene! :wink:
14 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 5th comment:
Swede's as in a type of turnip or Swede's as in from Sweden.
14 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Reread carefully what I quoted from you and then you'll see which I mean :smile:
14 Nov, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 7th comment:
Oh yeah i see now, right click to spell correct and selected the wrong finish.
15 Nov, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 8th comment:
Davion said:
wish for a mud that isn't: A Dark Portal: New World

Wow, I had no idea this was still around. This was one of the first muds I tried to build on without having played it (I just answered a recruiting ad from what I remember). This was when Noximist and Abetka (sp?) were on board. I'm pretty sure I bailed on them within a few weeks and I still feel a little guilty about that! ;) If it has a chance of opening I'd love to help them out for real this time. From what I remember the development was in a state of flux even when I first signed up to build.
15 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
wish for a mud that is: BatMUD.

While BatMUD isn't exactly hurting for players (120 on at the moment), it deserves any more that wander towards it. It's one of the more complex systems I've played, and it seems that almost every other time I've though of an idea over the years, I find that the folks there have implemented it. Time to start wearing my tinfoil hat again?

wish for a mud that isn't: ???

While it's tempting to put my own mouldering game in there (WileyMUD), I don't know that it really deserves any great attention at this point. I still believe the world is solid, and the overall gameplay is good (but difficult), but it really does need some love before it would be something that draws 30+ people again.
15 Nov, 2008, exeter wrote in the 10th comment:
A wish for a MUD that is: VikingMUD. This is the first MUD I ever played, and, in its heyday, there would constantly be at least 30-50 players online, most of them active. These days, you're lucky to see 10. It's got a decidedly old-school LPMUD flavor (by which I mean its mudlib was built on top of the 2.4.5 mudlib, and it shows in places), but it's a lot of fun.

A wish for a MUD that isn't: Mud-py, my personal MUD project. Fulfilling this wish just requires me to get off my butt and (re)start coding on it. :-)
15 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
A MUD that is: Eh… I don't spend too much time on other MUDs at all, really. Project BOB, perhaps, for it's ability to play whenever you feel like it, without any top level so there's no real rush to things.

A MUD that isn't: End of Time. Still so much to doooo! Areas to build, quests to write, mortals to har.. entertain.
15 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
a mud that is: amtmud: the burning lands. this was the mud where i learned how to play muds. about 8 or so years ago when i played it heavily it had a good 20 people on at a time (not much but enough to have someone constantly there to keep you occupied) but now every time i get on i'm the only person on and it's really sad. it's a nicely developed rom with plenty of features but for some reason the imms have all but abandoned it and as a result so have the players. i still get on every once in a while when i get nostalgic but it's really not as much fun when you're alone.

A mud that is no more: Angelwars this was the first mud i became REALLY good at. it's a godwars/low4 and before it was abandoned and shut down it was one hell of a mud. i just wish i could get ahold of the source for it and bring it back to life. if anybody knows how to contact Danlas i'd appreciate the info. i think the reason it went down was because they had a few corrupt immortals at one point that ruined it all for everybody, but the game itself was super fun.
0.0/12