29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I bit into Fallout3 yesterday and I can safely say that it is everything I didn't know I wanted fixed in Oblivion.

I liked Oblivion, but I could never play it for longer than a couple of days every couple months for some reason. Maybe its the setting, or the weapons\skills, but it's way more intriguing for some reason. The V.A.T.S. combat system is definitely cool, and fixes most of the jankyness that I've come to associate with Oblivion\Morrowind combat.

For some reason though, the dialogs remind me a whole lot more of the Vampire:Bloodlines stuff than they do the Oblivion stuff. In fact, I enjoyed Bloodlines a great deal more than Oblivion and I always wished it had been a bigger game (with less bugs). Not that Oblivion didn't have some 'dark' sides, but so far Bloodlines and Fallout are definitely much more steeped in the kind of dark humor and violence.

Either way, no matter what I say about it, the fact of the matter is I couldn't tear myself away from it until 4:30 in the morning when I absolutely could not keep my eyes open any longer - and those moments are few and far between for me as a gamer nowadays. I can usually compartmentalize my gaming to 15-30 minutes, two hours max if its involved, and then get to bed for work the next day.
29 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Shame it uses Securom DRM.

Especially when they said there would be no DRM issues, yet there are already threads on the forums where users are having issues.
29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thats odd, I knew it had Securom because it always uses the same little load icon when it launches but I've never had an issue with it - and indeed I had no issues with this one either. It's far better than, say, the Spore DRM version where you have to create an account and crap - though, this one just checks that you have the physical disk. Guess your mileage will vary.

Hardly a dealbreaker, though. I still play MUDs, even though I hate Telnet, for instance :P
29 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
This would probably be the problem I would get.
http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/images/st...

I have a number of virtual drives as well as Daemon Tools installed. If I would own a legit copy, it shouldn't stop me from playing no matter what I have on my computer.
29 Oct, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
Fallout 3… mmmm….

I'm enjoying it so far, although unfortunately I haven't had much time to really sit down and play it.

And although the Pipboy 3000 replica is lightweight and kind of cheaply made, I'm still glad I ponied up $120 for the Amazon.com Exclusive Survival Edition.
29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 6th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
Fallout 3… mmmm….

I'm enjoying it so far, although unfortunately I haven't had much time to really sit down and play it.

And although the Pipboy 3000 replica is lightweight and kind of cheaply made, I'm still glad I ponied up $120 for the Amazon.com Exclusive Survival Edition.

I was completely drawn in on what is essentially the first 'meaty' sidequest (that I ran into anyway, up in Grayditch with the boy and the ants). I can't wait to get back to it some tonight.

I want a Pipboy =(
29 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
It's almost hard to believe a game that is "that much better" than Oblivion. :tongue: I agree that it had its share of problems, though. Morrowind was a much bigger world with more stuff going on; Oblivion was more detailed IMO but there was much less tension in between factions. Well anyhow…

Unfortunately:
Minimum system requirements said:
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM

Ouch… I was over spec until I hit that one… guess I'll need to upgrade my video card(s) (I have SLI) at some point…
29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 8th comment:
DavidHaley said:
It's almost hard to believe a game that is "that much better" than Oblivion. :tongue: I agree that it had its share of problems, though. Morrowind was a much bigger world with more stuff going on; Oblivion was more detailed IMO but there was much less tension in between factions. Well anyhow…

Unfortunately:
Minimum system requirements said:
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM

Ouch… I was over spec until I hit that one… guess I'll need to upgrade my video card(s) (I have SLI) at some point…

I definitely want to upgrade my card again, but the one I have works just fine. The 8800s aren't quite obsolete just yet =\
29 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Heh – I think I have something in the 7x series. Maybe it's actually enough since I have two of them, but I definitely don't have 256mb in there.
29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 10th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Heh – I think I have something in the 7x series. Maybe it's actually enough since I have two of them, but I definitely don't have 256mb in there.

The 9800's are 150, that's pretty cheap =\
29 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Well, I will probably just wait it out a little longer. I don't play a huge amount these days, and usually I wait for more than one game before upgrading the computer.

Then again, I built the computer as-is in 2006 pretty much specifically for Oblivion…

(EDIT: but yeah, $150 is actually pretty reasonable, for one card… not sure I want to spend $300)
29 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 12th comment:
Vassi said:
It's far better than, say, the Spore DRM version where you have to create an account and crap - though, this one just checks that you have the physical disk.

Actually, I don't mind the Spore DRM… it doesn't prevent you from playing if it can't connect, it just won't upload/download any content into your games. Big deal. Of course, I don't know how it's actually coded, so it might well lock you out if it can't phone home after 20 tries or something – if that's the case they should have a disable patch lying around for when they shut the servers down. :)

I can't stand physical disc protection though. Software publishers need to learn the same lesson the music industry is slowly being forced to learn. You're not buying a bit of plastic, you're buying (the right to use) the content. The disc is simply the delivery method and should be treated as such.

When I buy a new TV, I don't expect to have to keep the cardboard box around and haul it out every time I turn the TV on… why should I need to scratch up a DVD to play something that's fully installed on my hard drive?

I make disc images of anything I buy and keep those on my drives to use with Daemon Tools if I need the disc (for whatever reason). The physical discs get put away in a nice dry, dust-free drawer, where I know they'll still work in 2 years when I need to wipe and re-install my OS. If it won't work that way, I won't buy it.
29 Oct, 2008, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Personally I found the theme of Oblivion more appealing (Even if overdone) to Fallout. I probably would have liked fallout more if every weapon, quest, etc, wasn't some type of satirical play. *shrugs* All of the "BFG" fans out there will probably like it more.
29 Oct, 2008, Runter wrote in the 14th comment:
Disk protections is one of the reasons I enjoy buying games from Stardock. They don't do any type of disc protections, and need no key to play. The only caveat would be needing the key to download additional content and play online multiplayer.
29 Oct, 2008, elanthis wrote in the 15th comment:
My video cards are definitely not up to task (780G in the desktop, X3100 in the laptop), but I'm not particularly caring. For the price of a high-end video card (or two mid-grade video cards) you can just get an Xbox 360 Pro and play Fallout 3, Fable 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc. Given how modern consoles have hard drives and 'Net access, there's no compelling advantage to using a PC for gaming over a console anymore.

I'm picking up an Xbox 360 and Fallout 3 tomorrow. ;)
29 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 16th comment:
elanthis said:
My video cards are definitely not up to task (780G in the desktop, X3100 in the laptop), but I'm not particularly caring. For the price of a high-end video card (or two mid-grade video cards) you can just get an Xbox 360 Pro and play Fallout 3, Fable 2, Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc. Given how modern consoles have hard drives and 'Net access, there's no compelling advantage to using a PC for gaming over a console anymore.

I'm picking up an Xbox 360 and Fallout 3 tomorrow. ;)

I'm just conditioned to have a rig for each generation of games, I think. Though at this point, some games are definitely still no-brainers on the PC (assuming you have the requisite hardware) For instance, you know there will be many more mods for the PC version than for the other versions. In addition, for whatever reason, PC games are still 10 dollars cheaper. =\

For the most part, though, I do enjoy buying the games for my 360 more.
30 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 17th comment:
Hades_Kane said:

Yep. I ponied up for it as well but apparently Amazon wants to make me suffer. Mine isn't due to arrive until November 3rd. :/

I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about the game but a disturbingly high number of horror stories about SecuROM. You'd think Bethesda would have paid attention to the disaster with Pools of Radiance by SSI back in the day when the DRM was actively interfering in the game and told thousands of people their discs weren't legit. Beth used it on the SI installer, but it didn't follow that to the system. I sure hope they don't make me regret spending this much money on something that might call me a thief even with a legit disc, because all that's going to do is send me looking for a no-cd patch rather that hassle trying to return the package to Amazon.
30 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 18th comment:
Vassi said:
In addition, for whatever reason, PC games are still 10 dollars cheaper. =\

The console games are ten dollars more expensive generally because the console makers are making the money back from the actual console sales(The hardware is more expensive than what they sell it for). :) At least, that's what the word on the street is. :p
30 Oct, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 19th comment:
Vassi said:
I was completely drawn in on what is essentially the first 'meaty' sidequest (that I ran into anyway, up in Grayditch with the boy and the ants). I can't wait to get back to it some tonight.

I want a Pipboy =(

I've ran into one quest, where I'm looking for a little boy, and the dungeon I was looking for was full of rad scorpions that were kicking my butt :( I had to retreat.

DavidHaley said:

I had to upgrade my video card and power supply to play it :( I went ahead and tripled my RAM while I was at it, so I'm sitting at 3gb of RAM with an ATI HD 3850 or something like that… I have the game set to medium quality and its running pretty good. Although between the amazon survival edition, the RAM, PSU, and Video Card, I spent close to $500 :( So far it's been worth every penny :)

Samson said:
Yep. I ponied up for it as well but apparently Amazon wants to make me suffer. Mine isn't due to arrive until November 3rd. :/

We signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime and was able to get free "release day" delivery and actually had mine in hand on October 28th.
30 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 20th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I've ran into one quest, where I'm looking for a little boy, and the dungeon I was looking for was full of rad scorpions that were kicking my butt :( I had to retreat.

Ian West? =X I had some issues with that one myself.
0.0/33