22 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, you're only interested in potential builders who possess maturity and have an excellant grasp of the Engish language then? :tongue:

Just as an aside, would that be American English, The Queen's English, or some other variant? Some folks just get so picky about little things like whether they want their world colorized or colourized… :wink:

Split from http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...
22 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Yes, there is a distinct difference between English, and Vulgarian…. err… American English. :)

Of course, I'm a hybrid, since I'm American but apparently have enough British ancestry to make things like armour class, and honour seem right in the centre of the correct spelling target. :tongue:
22 Oct, 2008, Andrik wrote in the 3rd comment:
Conner said:
So, you're only interested in potential builders who possess maturity and have an excellant grasp of the Engish language then? :tongue:

Was I unclear there? Maybe I should increase the font size on those and put a nice blink tag on it. :)

Just as an aside, would that be American English, The Queen's English, or some other variant? Some folks just get so picky about little things like whether they want their world colorized or colourized… :wink:

I am shooting for the Ebonics MUD.

"Yo arse is in town, beoootch. We gots da house 'o knives on da eas'side, and da hos and fowtys on da wes'side." *grins*

I never minded the American/British English differences. I actually unconsciously spell a few words with the British spelling myself, and the closest thing I have to the British is the fact that my people came and said hi on our longboats awhile back.

People who can't complete a coherent sentence just drive me up the wall, though.
22 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Pet peeve here, but since we're talking about very strict spelling standards, I dislike mixing British and American spelling quite a bit, actually… it's kind of sloppy to mix the two, almost as much as it is to make a normal spelling mistake.
22 Oct, 2008, Andrik wrote in the 5th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Pet peeve here, but since we're talking about very strict spelling standards, I dislike mixing British and American spelling quite a bit, actually… it's kind of sloppy to mix the two, almost as much as it is to make a normal spelling mistake.

I think I've been de-sensitized by the perpetual degrading of language into text message speak.
22 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
Don't mind David too much, Andrik, he has a very crowded apartment with all those pet peeves to keep housebroken.. :wink:

Sorry about the initial response to your initial post, I really didn't mean to subvert your advertisment too badly, just couldn't resist a quick comment.. :lol:
Seriously, I love a good sense of humor in an admin, so it's great to see that you've got one, I'm sure anyone who would otherwise have only considered your advert now has lots of reason to much more seriously consider it. I too find that I can be rather forgiving of the admixture of English spellings when I get area submissions, but I know entirely what you must feel like to be putting such strong emphasis into your advert about the need for maturity and a grasp of the language in use.
22 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Andrik said:
I think I've been de-sensitized by the perpetual degrading of language into text message speak.

And that is precisely why I fight very strongly against "text message speak" making its way into anything other than text messages. :smile:
22 Oct, 2008, elanthis wrote in the 8th comment:
quixadhal said:
Yes, there is a distinct difference between English, and Vulgarian…. err… American English. :)

The funny thing is, American English is closer to classical English that modern Brittish English. Seems counter-intuitive and I wouldn't have believed it myself if it wasn't an English professor – from Brittain – who explained it to me. :) In Japan. While talking about Korea. That was a weird day. Granted, most days of that trip were pretty weird… ended up on TV twice. :/
22 Oct, 2008, Andrik wrote in the 9th comment:
Conner said:
Don't mind David too much, Andrik, he has a very crowded apartment with all those pet peeves to keep housebroken.. :wink:

Sorry about the initial response to your initial post, I really didn't mean to subvert your advertisment too badly, just couldn't resist a quick comment.. :lol:
Seriously, I love a good sense of humor in an admin, so it's great to see that you've got one, I'm sure anyone who would otherwise have only considered your advert now has lots of reason to much more seriously consider it. I too find that I can be rather forgiving of the admixture of English spellings when I get area submissions, but I know entirely what you must feel like to be putting such strong emphasis into your advert about the need for maturity and a grasp of the language in use.

Trust me, I'da been surprised had there NOT been any amusing comments to that/those particular line(s). :)

Though I should have put in a few random non-sensical "requirements" (must know at least 6 lentil soup recipes) just to see how much people bothered to read the whole thing.
22 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Andrik said:

And that is precisely why I fight very strongly against "text message speak" making its way into anything other than text messages. :smile:

If we're honest about it is there really any reason it even belongs there?
I can easily enough forgive someone casually using abbreviations and acronyms amongst friends and/or others who are all using it equally as a common nomenclature, but when sending somethingto a stranger or in a "professional" atmosphere, I'd have to question it rather stringently. Yet, I've seen even smilies in some … unexpected … places lately, and it is rather dismaying.
22 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
elanthis said:
The funny thing is, American English is closer to classical English that modern Brittish English. Seems counter-intuitive and I wouldn't have believed it myself if it wasn't an English professor – from Brittain – who explained it to me. :) In Japan. While talking about Korea. That was a weird day. Granted, most days of that trip were pretty weird… ended up on TV twice. :/

That does seem counter-intuitive, but given what little I truly know of the two, I'll take your word for it.

Andrik said:
Trust me, I'da been surprised had there NOT been any amusing comments to that/those particular line(s). :)

Though I should have put in a few random non-sensical "requirements" (must know at least 6 lentil soup recipes) just to see how much people bothered to read the whole thing.

Ah, good, then I have no need to fear of being recruited for this project as I certainly don't know any lentil soup recipes, I can barely read what it says to do with them in that tiny print on the side of the baggy that they come from the store in… :wink:
22 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Arguably, you shouldn't be sending text messages to a stranger or anybody in a professional atmosphere in the first place. I wouldn't expect to see text messages in anything other than friendly/casual conversation. (We are talking about SMS phone text messages right?)
22 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Arguably, you shouldn't be sending text messages to a stranger or anybody in a professional atmosphere in the first place. I wouldn't expect to see text messages in anything other than friendly/casual conversation. (We are talking about SMS phone text messages right?)

we are, but having worked in a call center for multiple cell carriers in the past, you'd be surprised what I've seen sent by SMS. Sadly, I've seen the same "text message speak" slipping gradually, but steadily, into forums, emails, blogs, and even the occassional bit of snail mail too lately. :sad:
22 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
But…. I don't have TIME to make fun of text messages too… I'm already waging a war on Moron-Speak (U no who U R!), and UAS (Undefined Acronym Speak). I think people who use text messaging (outside of the cell network) should have to see it as raw keypress codes.

"Try reading this" => 87779997773323444664844.4447777
22 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 15th comment:
99966688 666933 633 777766632
22 Oct, 2008, Andrik wrote in the 16th comment:
22 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 17th comment:
quixadhal said:
"Try reading this" => 87779997773323444664844.4447777

Can not compute, Syntax Error. 01.
22 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 18th comment:
Oh yeah, the "." is a pause…. since 44 and 444 are adjacent, I assume you have to pause so it figures out you want 44 instead of 44444. Did I mention how much I despise texting?
22 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
Conner said:
we are, but having worked in a call center for multiple cell carriers in the past, you'd be surprised what I've seen sent by SMS.

Well, that's why I said "shouldn't" – people send some pretty ridiculous things by SMS, like thank-yous after an interview. Great way to make somebody not like you…

Conner said:
Sadly, I've seen the same "text message speak" slipping gradually, but steadily, into forums, emails, blogs, and even the occassional bit of snail mail too lately. :sad:

Seeing it in snail mail is just sad…

quixadhal said:
Did I mention how much I despise texting?

Use T9 if your phone has it (and most made in the past few years do). It guesses what you mean with single-letter keypresses, and lets you cycle through the possibilities if it gets it wrong. It makes texting bearable. Or, just use a phone with a qwerty keyboard, although that has problems of its own…
23 Oct, 2008, Andrik wrote in the 20th comment:
To continue to threadjack my own thread…

A friend of mine is a 7th grade english teacher. I saw some of the journal entries she had her kids writing. Yes. A couple of them were using things like 'u' and '4' in quasi-formal handwritten papers. It was sickening.

I'da given them a 0 on the spot had I seen that. They'd learn fast.
0.0/39