22 May, 2008, Nash wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Every time I copyover after changing code, the mud will crash but after the 15 second thing it boots up fine, and if I copyover without code changes it doesn't crash.
Is there some way to gdb the copyover or any other way to figure out what's making it pop?
20 Oct, 2008, Kratos wrote in the 2nd comment:
Check the logs to see whats making the mud crash.
20 Oct, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
20 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Smaug has a syntax of "hotboot debug", see if Rom does.
20 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
Do you use dlopen() by any chance? I would imagine that loading dynamic modules would be annoying, if you forgot to re-open one after the copyover, or perhaps even if you forgot to close one.
20 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
One wonders if the help is even relevant anymore, given that the thread was started 5 months ago. :smile:
20 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
Could be, but then again it's amazing what people put up with on a daily basis just because it works….. see Microsoft Windows(TM).
20 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 8th comment:
quixadhal said:
Could be, but then again it's amazing what people put up with on a daily basis just because it works….. see Microsoft Windows(TM).

I've never had to spend a full day configuring Windows to use a NIC, or a wireless NIC, like I've had to do with Ubuntu or SUSE. It does just work. =P
20 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
Hehehehe, don't get me started on how Windows has its OWN idea of how to translate ASCII WEP keys, which is apparently different than anyone else's idea. The only way I could get a mac and windows box to share wireless was to make them both use nice long hex string keys… I hate having to print out a key and walk across the room to type it in again.
20 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 10th comment:
Vassi said:
quixadhal said:

I've never had to spend a full day configuring Windows to use a NIC, or a wireless NIC, like I've had to do with Ubuntu or SUSE. It does just work. =P

i have.
23 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 11th comment:
Vassi said:
quixadhal said:

You must be lucky. I've had all kinds of issues with Windows. Why I tend to not use it.
23 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
Kjwah said:
You must be lucky. I've had all kinds of issues with Windows. Why I tend to not use it.

Me too, I only use Windows these days for quicken, gaming, and testing (mostly browsers and clients), but I definitely still keep a box or two with Windows on it around for those things. Actually, I also use Windows to visit gmail because I like Chrome's applet for it, and I'm posting this message from Windows because I was checking gmail and decided to check here while I was at it too. :shrug:
23 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
Kjwah said:

Funny, that. I've had all sorts of issues with many flavors of linux. Which is why I tend to not use it :)

When linux hates your hardware, you're screwed unless willing to spend 2 weeks researching a fix, or recompiling kernels…. with Windows I've never spent more than a day at the most on any one given problem. And I've never once had a Windows question answered with "RTFM n00b".
23 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 14th comment:
Samson said:
Funny, that. I've had all sorts of issues with many flavors of linux. Which is why I tend to not use it :)

When linux hates your hardware, you're screwed unless willing to spend 2 weeks researching a fix, or recompiling kernels…. with Windows I've never spent more than a day at the most on any one given problem. And I've never once had a Windows question answered with "RTFM n00b".

Oh, I'll grant that Windows "support" is friendlier and that hardware issues with Linux can be a royal pain in the rear, but Windows is not without it's share of "undoctumented features" either. :wink:
24 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 15th comment:
Samson said:
Kjwah said:

i would say i spend about an equal amount of time on both.

but i do have to restart windows servers a lot which is a pain in the ass… restarting to install / uninstall an application!? come on, should not be necessary, really slack of microsoft.
25 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 16th comment:
Well of course restarting a Windows server is a pain in the ass. And no, you shouldn't need to do that ever except for kernel type updates. However I wasn't talking about using a server installation. Unless I missed something this whole Windows vs Linux thing was referring to desktop use, yes?
0.0/16