17 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've spent a very long time looking for a good CMS to use as a base for projects, I'm still waiting for the day that someone gets it all right. I actually liked QSF for a while, but there were a lot of features missing that I may need in the future™

The major contestants were DotNetNuke, Wordpress, and Drupal - with Drupal edging the others out solely because of the availability of modules. I really like Wordpress, but having it do anything besides 'static' content publishing is still too unnatural. DotNetNuke would have been great for me since it's ASP.NET but I still have major gripes with .NET as a web language, it just doesn't feel right and every single ASP.NET app is extremely clunky to install and configure (Read: I don't have the time)

Drupal is easy to install, and easy to get started with on basic content like blogs and articles, but there are SO MANY modules it's kind of intimidating. Still, it seems alright. More importantly it has a lot of hooks and bridges to external forums (I have a 3 year old forum I don't want to dump and don't want to spend days converting).

I'm curious about any experiences some of you have had with similar software, and what your choices were? I know some of you wrote your own, etc.
17 Oct, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 2nd comment:
For PHP, I'd suggest a framework like the Zend Framework, CakePHP, etc. Both of those are pretty light weight, but there is also Kohana, CodeIgniter, and Symfony too.

There are also blog engines out there like Movable Type, which I've never used.

On a side note, man does QSF(P) need an overhaul.
17 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
How was Joomla/Mambo not a main major contestant? :P
17 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
How was Joomla/Mambo not a main major contestant? :P

Because my funny-name quota was filled by Drupal. =\

But seriously, because Drupal has better documented support for IIS - and I can't ditch IIS because I host some ASP.NET services and projects for people. To be honest though, I hadn't really looked at Joomla, so maybe I'll play with that as well.
17 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
/usr/bin/vim is my CMS…. *poker face*

I've tried to get with the times and use GUI html editors, blogs, various hybrid board systems like phpbb2, and I eventually end up getting disgusted and going back to my boring ugly hand-crafted HTML that I either edit in vim or generate from php/perl.
17 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 6th comment:
quixadhal said:
/usr/bin/vim is my CMS…. *poker face*

I've tried to get with the times and use GUI html editors, blogs, various hybrid board systems like phpbb2, and I eventually end up getting disgusted and going back to my boring ugly hand-crafted HTML that I either edit in vim or generate from php/perl.

You must be old =( -ducks-

Nothing wrong with hand-crafting, except for that takes too much time. I would never, ever, write forum software (on purpose).
17 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
Yeah, well, just for that I'm gonna change my signature so you young punks will GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! :ghostface:

Hmmm, I should probably drag out photoshop again and update my signature. That armor looks really old… :)

For plain web pages, I find it takes me longer trying to use the GUI tools, since I'm constantly having to look up which clicky thing I need to poke to get X on Y, but then I try to avoid javascript, frames, pretty much everything people use on web pages nowadays. If I were really going to setup a site for public consuption, I'd probably use phpbb2 and write some portal stuff to make the rest of the site look like that. As you say, writing a forum is not a quick task.
17 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 8th comment:
quixadhal said:
Yeah, well, just for that I'm gonna change my signature so you young punks will GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! :ghostface:

Hmmm, I should probably drag out photoshop again and update my signature. That armor looks really old… :)

For plain web pages, I find it takes me longer trying to use the GUI tools, since I'm constantly having to look up which clicky thing I need to poke to get X on Y, but then I try to avoid javascript, frames, pretty much everything people use on web pages nowadays. If I were really going to setup a site for public consuption, I'd probably use phpbb2 and write some portal stuff to make the rest of the site look like that. As you say, writing a forum is not a quick task.

Actually, I find most of my "GUI" time is spent in photoshop nowadays making the 'look'. After that it gets sliced and then I pretty much do the rest by hand via CSS, I still open Dreamweaver for its CSS editor, but more and more I find myself using notepad++ for quick edits and PHPEdit(editor? I can't even remember the name right now)

For really productive sessions I'm definitely spoiled by the need for a decent IDE though, if I don't have syntax highlighting it takes me a little longer to do complex tasks. Auto-indent and brace matching are also big pluses, but things I can do without. I enjoy Dreamweaver's bracket closer for HTML and their CSS editing is pretty good, as well. The 'clicky bits' I can do without.

I never really noticed that until you pointed it out though, I used to be all about the Dreamweaver clicky bits, even to setup PHP connections and databases :redface:
17 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
IIS?

*runs out of thread*
17 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
I do basically everything in vim if I can. I use Nucleus for my blog, because when I write just text I don't need formatting and so forth. If I'm writing an entry that has formatting needs I write it in vim and then copy-paste. When I make templates etc., I do it in vim and then stick it into Nucleus. I write all of my code in vim, except for Java, for which I use Eclipse because of the incredible tools it provides. When I did assignments, I would write them in Latex using vim. So yeah, I use vim for pretty much everything. :smile:
17 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 11th comment:
www.jojocms.org

best
cms
ever
17 Oct, 2008, Davion wrote in the 12th comment:
kiasyn said:
www.jojocms.org

best
cms
ever

Why? You keep saying this, and I looked at it. Looks like any other CMS out there with a bit extra SEO handling.
17 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 13th comment:
Easy to template, easy to work with, pretty urls, plugins are easy peasy
17 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
Ive never had to edit the core to accomplish what i wanted with jojo
18 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 15th comment:
I've been playing with textpattern..

but as for CMS systems.. they all pretty much suck.
18 Oct, 2008, Tricky wrote in the 16th comment:
I tried Jojo, then went back to Serendipity. Of course I could be biased since I contributed the OPML plugin for that project back in 2004. :smile:

Tricky

Edit: Apart from the blog bit, everything else is hand-coded.
18 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 17th comment:
Tricky said:
I tried Jojo, then went back to Serendipity. Of course I could be biased since I contributed the OPML plugin for that project back in 2004. :smile:

Tricky

Edit: Apart from the blog bit, everything else is hand-coded.

So I went to the "Who is using" page and clicked on four of the nine links of the creators of Serendipity…and they were wordpress blogs. =\
0.0/17