14 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Does anyone have any recommendations for laptops, or know a seller that truly lets you customize one?

I want a fairly high-end laptop except for I don't need the Dual SLI Nvidia (Etc) video cards - which is probably adding 4-500+ dollars to the order. I do, however, want a large drive, dual-core, etc (need it for Visual Studio\Dreamweaver\Photoshop\Notepad++ (probably all at once))

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome - especially if anyone knows of any Laptop lines that come with a full-keyboard, Toshiba used to have some nice ones some years ago but I can't find them.
14 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Last time I ordered a laptop myself was in 2003, and I just got it off of Dell's website. I have a Dell from work now, but it's not really a high end system (but it's still pretty good for a non-gaming computer). Alienware is supposed to make good stuff but I think they mark up their prices considerably for the "coolness" factor.

I haven't seen a proper full keyboard in quite a while. Most have an almost full keyboard, but then rearrange some of the surrounding keys.
14 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Dell typically allows you to customize your laptop. See if it lets you get what you want.
14 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 4th comment:
Dell's are way too expensive,

saw this and my jaw almost dropped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProducR...

Too bad they don't seem to be manufactured anymore, it's smaller brother is still a good deal at 1500 though, basically the same except an 18 inch screen. I think I might go with that, but I'm not sure yet. Everything else I've seen with those kind of specs is almost a grand more.
14 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Link doesn't work. And FWIW I've found Dells to be priced decently compared to other similar vendors – that is, people who provide support, warranties, etc. I'm sure you could find quite a bit cheaper if you forwent (heh) all that. It's certainly true for desktops, and even more so if you put them together yourself. Never tried to do that with a laptops; I imagine it's a lot harder because it's not as standardized.
15 Oct, 2008, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
FWIW, I personally strongly favor Toshiba but find Dell to be pretty acceptable as an alternative too.
15 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 7th comment:
I'd check newegg.com as that's where I usually order most of my parts for computers. Pretty sure they have some decent prices for laptops as well. They also process orders fairly quick.

The others already covered Dell.
15 Oct, 2008, Kline wrote in the 8th comment:
Desktops I buy all my parts from mwave.com. Not always the very cheapest, but about the best service and return policies I've ever had. IE: I had a $500 video card explode due to a surge, past their warranty, past the mfg warranty, and they still accepted it as a return – and sent me an upgraded card. As for laptops I'm very happy with my (slightly older – 2006) HP. Good price and never had any issues with it yet.
0.0/8