11 Oct, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Virtual Private Servers seem like a pretty good value for
one's money, and seem quite flexible. I'm interested in
playing around with one, but would like some input.

Which ones have people here used? Which have you heard
are good?

What should I watch out for?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
11 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Always ask before getting the VPS.

I use CheapVPS. It works, although I've had issues. Not enough issues to make me leave them though.

Don't use eApps. They charge +$10 a month extra to use ports.
11 Oct, 2008, Caius wrote in the 3rd comment:
There are some good sites you may want to check out. Especially Web Hosting Talk. There are sections there were people give feedback on various providers. Also on the same site is a forum for VPS Hosting Offers. In that section providers offer special deals that you won't find on their main sites. I got a 15% off (lifetime) on my VPS via that site.

I'm using AmeriHosting. On the positive side I feel I get decent value; 128MB ram (256 burst), 10GB disk space, 100GB/mo bandwidth, 1 static IP. For this I pay $8.50/mo. I've had two issues, though. The service was pretty unstable this spring, ending in a full hardware crash. This was very annoying. However after they moved to a new datacenter it's been solid. The other issue is that they don't tell you in advance when they're taking down the service for maintenance. But usually it doesn't last long.

I'm not sure I want to recommend AmeriHosting, but at least now you have something to compare with, with regards to price/value.
11 Oct, 2008, Vassi wrote in the 4th comment:
I use VPSLand.com now, they have an amazing deal on Windows VPS servers right now, I have my 2gigs of RAM, 700gig transfer server for the same price I used to pay for 650megs of ram and 200 gig from my previous provider =\ Only downside is that all support is through tickets and they can take a couple of hours sometimes (but never more than 2-3 so far, for me)

For top-notch technical support, by phone in the US, I highly recommend Liquidweb.com. Their VPS packages start a bit pricier, but they have the best support ever - the ability to talk to a live person even at 4am, who will do stuff right on the phone, is priceless if you're running crucial components\sites.

VPSLand is definately the cheapest I've seen to date, though.
11 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Isn't VPSLand $15 at the least? That was more then I am willing to pay.
11 Oct, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 6th comment:
I used to host my mud on a linode.com account and was VERY happy with the service I recieved and the bang for the buck is amazing. Their control panel also beats anything I've ever run across before. You can install an OS from the web control panel.
11 Oct, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 7th comment:
Zeno said:
Isn't VPSLand $15 at the least? That was more then I am willing to pay.

If CheapVPS charges you $10 to open ports, then add that to their cheapest package and you are paying $19.50…

For 128 mbs of ram? It doesn't seem like a good deal to me…

Am I missing something?
11 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
No one said CheapVPS charges to open ports…
11 Oct, 2008, Brinson wrote in the 9th comment:
Zeno said:

Ah, I misread your post.

Though…is cheapVPS a "true" virtal environment or a webhost with SSH access? Both work for a mud but are different. If it uses a true virtualization then running the OS is likely to sap most of your ram on a 128mb account.
11 Oct, 2008, Caius wrote in the 10th comment:
Brinson said:
Though…is cheapVPS a "true" virtal environment or a webhost with SSH access? Both work for a mud but are different. If it uses a true virtualization then running the OS is likely to sap most of your ram on a 128mb account.

That depends on what software you run and how you configure it. My CentOS 5 VPS is currently running imap server, DNS server, flashpolicy server, one MUD, svnserve, sshd, webserver and crond. This totals to around 28 - 32MB ram, leaving me around 100MB to work with, like compiling. And yes, this is a "true" virtual environment.
11 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 11th comment:
Brinson said:
Zeno said:

Ah, I misread your post.

How can I tell? There was like no mem usage when I got it.
11 Oct, 2008, Darva wrote in the 12th comment:
I use SWVPS, 9.99$/month 150 gigs bandwidth, 5 gigs hd space, 256 megs ram and 2 ip addresses. Though looking at their page, it appears their deal has improved, and for the same price now you get 250 gigs badwidth, 10 gigs hd space and 400 megs of ram.
11 Oct, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
I use quantact.com and have hosted on their server (under a friend's account) for about a year before getting my own account.

Total, I've had my MUD on quantact.com since October of 2005 and have never had a problem out of them. I've had to deal with maybe a combined total of 3 hours of downtime the entire time I've been there. Any issues I've had or anytime I've needed to contact the Admin, he has responded within the hour. I could go on :p

http://www.quantact.com

For 9.99 a month, I Get:

128MB ram burstable up to 256
5gb disk space
1 static IP
128GB bandwidth

Among other stuff, and there's no setup fee.

There are a lot of options to choose from, and as the price doubles, so does those specs.
11 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 14th comment:
I have just moved to Tektonic The basic plan they offer is below.

294MB Dedicated Ram
500GB Monthly Transfer
13GB Diskspace
1 IP Address
CPU Burstable to 25% total host CPU
$15/month.

So far they seem to be pretty good. One cavat the support agreement covers only a limited range of items, and the basic setup does not come configured for virtual domains.
11 Oct, 2008, Guest wrote in the 15th comment:
Wow. VPS services have sure been getting cheap lately. *ponders the feasibility of running hosting through a big one*
12 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 16th comment:
There are some really good deals out there, what you choose really just depends on your level of experience configuring a linux server.
12 Oct, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 17th comment:
Out of curiosity, do they limit your CPU use, or do they monitor it and charge you if you exceed a certain amount?

I've not dealt with VM systems enough to know how flexible they are. I know I'd prefer to have it throttled so it just looks like a slower CPU on my end, rather than having a surprise bill because of some obscure race condition that only happens when 3 players kill the same kind of mob in 3 different places, while it's raining and the moon is full, and all three corpses rise up as the same kind of undead. :)
12 Oct, 2008, Caius wrote in the 18th comment:
quixadhal said:
Out of curiosity, do they limit your CPU use, or do they monitor it and charge you if you exceed a certain amount?

I've not dealt with VM systems enough to know how flexible they are. I know I'd prefer to have it throttled so it just looks like a slower CPU on my end, rather than having a surprise bill because of some obscure race condition that only happens when 3 players kill the same kind of mob in 3 different places, while it's raining and the moon is full, and all three corpses rise up as the same kind of undead. :)

I suppose that depends on what virtualization software it runs on. My VPS runs on OpenVZ which has a CPU scheduler that tries to distribute time slices fairly. In addition it's possible to limit CPU time available to each VPS.

I would definitely stay away from any providers who operate with "surprise bills".
12 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 19th comment:
quixadhal said:

You get a guarantied % of cpu, currently i am using Used 12.0 % - 88.0 % of 100.0 % available, i am not sure what my allocation is with this host, the last one gave 400megs on each of the 4 cores.
15 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 20th comment:
Brinson said:
I used to host my mud on a linode.com account and was VERY happy with the service I recieved and the bang for the buck is amazing. Their control panel also beats anything I've ever run across before. You can install an OS from the web control panel.

It's who my friend used as well and we never had problems.

I use VPSLand atm but will be switching to linode shortly.
0.0/45