03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i downloaded the godwars derivative RoK and when i compile it i get the following errors.

comm.o:comm.c:(.text+0x1146): undefined reference to `_deflateEnd'
mccp.o:mccp.c:(.text+0xd9): undefined reference to `_deflateInit_'
mccp.o:mccp.c:(.text+0x1a6): undefined reference to `_deflate'
mccp.o:mccp.c:(.text+0x1dd): undefined reference to `_deflateEnd'
mccp.o:mccp.c:(.text+0x3df): undefined reference to `_deflate'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [RoK] Error 1

if anyone can tell me what this means i'd appreciate it. i'm using cygwin to compile if that matters any.
03 Oct, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
you need the zlib library
03 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
nope, i've got the zlib library installed already
03 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Actually, you do need the zlib library, you just need the development version of it, which includes the appropriate libraries for linking.
04 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
i've got the only version of it cygwin has listed. i guess i'm gonna have to get andlinux working to compile this. or is there some way for me to download the development zlib and install it in cygwin other than through the cygwin install file?
04 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 6th comment:
Can you not just apt-get zlibg1-dev ?
04 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
nope apparently not. says bash: apt-get: command not found.
04 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
Ever consider dual booting linux? Ubuntu is quick and easy and gentoo is amazing.
04 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
lol apparently it's not as obvious as i thought it was, but i REALLY don't know linux. the few commands i do know are the basic commands needed for navigating a shell, and i tend to have a little difficulty remembering some of those sometimes too. it doesn't help that i destroyed the memory sections of my brain with cocaine and ecstasy several years ago. i've been clean for 4 years now but my memory isn't coming back.

Public Service Announcement: If you don't want your kids to turn out like me, keep them informed about the true dangers of hard drugs.
04 Oct, 2008, Davion wrote in the 10th comment:
Igabod said:
it doesn't help that i destroyed the memory sections of my brain with cocaine and ecstasy several years ago. i've been clean for 4 years now but my memory isn't coming back.

Public Service Announcement: If you don't want your kids to turn out like me, keep them informed about the true dangers of hard drugs.

That's a poor excuse. Trust me :). I installed andlinux onto my laptop which runs vista32 with a few clicks. It's really not all that hard to install (I used the KDE version) and you can use kate under windows ASAP! I <3 kate, and using it to write code is almost essential for me.
04 Oct, 2008, Kline wrote in the 11th comment:
Try aptitude if apt-get doesn't work. Apt-get is actually pretty deprecated, aptitude is the new wave :)

Doesn't Cygwin (forgive me if I'm wrong, been YEARS since I last used it) also have its own package manager, almost like Debian's jigdo? I seem to remember some Cygwin GUI where you just clicked check boxes next to any number of packages and it went out and installed them.
04 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Yes, you use the Cygwin setup program, not aptitude or apt-get.
04 Oct, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 13th comment:
Isn't aptitude just a UI for apt? It's all I ever really use.
04 Oct, 2008, Kline wrote in the 14th comment:
Aptitude will go to interactive mode with no args, but I just use it from command line.
04 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 15th comment:
Cygwin also has cyg-apt which is more or less apt-get, not just the GUI setup.exe file.
04 Oct, 2008, MaineCoon wrote in the 16th comment:
Does your makefile have "-lz" in the linker parameters?
05 Oct, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
yes
05 Oct, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
Did you make sure that you have every Cygwin zlib library, including the development files? This issue has come up before – IIRC it has a strange name. Try searching the forums for "zlib development".
04 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 19th comment:
The problem is that gnu ld requires the object files that reference zlib to appear before the library on the command line, otherwise it isn't searched. Check your makefile.

This won't work..
gcc -lz -o myprog myprog.o
This will…
gcc -o myprog myprog.o -lz

Also see man ld
0.0/19