26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i've been a mudder for a long time now, learned how to build, know how to do some coding (not very good but still) and all that good stuff. during that time i've seen some of the same names over and over and over. we all know the names i'm talking about here. i've spent the most important developmental years of my life hearing and seeing these names so much that i've even started to view these people as almost-celebrities. so much to the point that i'd much rather meet kavir in person than any hollywood actor. i was just wondering if this was a common thing or if i'm the only one that see's these people as celebs. maybe this post just makes me more of a nerd than i originally thought i was but so be it. i'd like to know everybody elses opinion on this. i'd also like to know specifically what kavir thinks about possibly being a celebrity.
26 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Other devs like Samson/Davion/KaVir/Kayle/etc I'd like to have a beer with or something, but I don't consider them celebrities. :P
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
not exactly celebrities, just almost celebrities. they're extremely well known within the mudding community, sorta like brad pitt and tom cruise are known worldwide. i'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a mudder who has played in one place for longer than a month who doesn't know kavir's name or davions etc. so within the community they have reached a certain level of celebrity.

[edit to fix typos]
26 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 4th comment:
i'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a mudder who has played in one place for longer than a month who doesn't know kavir's name or davions etc.

You are mistaken. I would not be hard pressed in the least to find many hard core
mudders who've been playing/adminning for years and never heard of
any of those people.

The mudding world is larger than you think.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
really? i find that hard to believe, nearly every mudder i've talked to has heard of at least kavir. and lets not forget that i'm includng the entire diku team in the list of celebrities. though the odd thing is more people i've talked to have heard of kavir than hans staerfeldt. (sp?) whoever these "hard core" admins are that you refer to must be living under rocks or something…
26 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 6th comment:
I had not heard of Davion, Kiasyn and others till i had joined this site, i could not even tell you what projects they work on even tho i have been on this board for 12 months or more. The mudding world is many small circles of people where there is at times some overlap in forums like this.

Cratylus said:
You are mistaken. I would not be hard pressed in the least to find many hard core mudders who've been playing/adminning for years and never heard of any of those people.

Crat is right, in many places you would be hard pressed to find players who have heard of most of if not all the people you named. Within developer circles, its an entirely different matter, where there is some interaction between the more knowledgeable and those just starting out.
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
i find this all very shocking, how can anybody not know who some of these people are when they are playing games that were originally developed by some of the people on my list of mud-celebs? just about everybody who has heard of muds should know the names of every single one of the diku team considering just about every mud currently in active development is a derivative of diku. this leads me to wonder if my circle of mudder friends is extremely well informed, or if yalls circles are extremely reclusive and uninformed…. i'm just in utter shock at these revelations you guys have dropped on me…. shock and bewilderment…
26 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
I believe less than 1% of players on DIKU muds can recite the names of all 5 members of the DIKU team. I can, no issue, but I'm not a "player". Though I would take KaVir, Cratylus, Elanthis, Icculus, Tyche, Welcor and a few other well known admin in preference over any 'celebrity' because most celebrities are morons and I'd have absolutely nothing in common with them.
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
ok maybe not all 5 but they should at least know 1, i mean come on it's in the greeting screen of every single diku based mud, how can you NOT? i agree with the celebrities are morons bit, i've met a few and was very unimpressed with them.
26 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 10th comment:
Every DIKU MUD does 'not' have their names at the login screen. "Any running version of DikuMud must include our names in the login sequence." MOTD is in the login sequence and usually skipped over. Also there are MUDs like Medievia that just flat out don't give a shit what the license says.
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
ok by "every" i meant all the ones that follow the rules. and ok so not necesarily the greetings on every one of them but most of the ones i've played had them in the greeting screen. in fact one of my first characters was named nyboe cause i liked katya's last name and couldn't think of a char name so i just chose the one that stuck out the most and was likely enough of a character name.
26 Sep, 2008, KaVir wrote in the 12th comment:
I'm fairly sure you need both public and media attention to be considered a celebrity…I tend to think of myself more as "well known in certain circles". It's also the case that I'm known for different things by different people, and not all of those things are positive.
26 Sep, 2008, Caius wrote in the 13th comment:
Igabod said:
ok maybe not all 5 but they should at least know 1, i mean come on it's in the greeting screen of every single diku based mud, how can you NOT? i agree with the celebrities are morons bit, i've met a few and was very unimpressed with them.

I'm working on a MUD currently. On the greeting screen I have a big notice (clearly marked in a frame just about the username prompt) stating that the MUD is not open for playing. Nevertheless a surprising number of people log in and wonder why there aren't any players on the who list. Furthermore in the room where people arrive after creating a character is a clear description saying that the mud is not open, and that's why there are no exits from the room. But still the majority of those who log on ask how they can exit the room. My conclusion is that few people read the greeting screen, and equally few people bother reading room descriptions.
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 14th comment:
ok you've got to admit that those people are stupendously retarded if they're in a room with no exits and dont even read the desc. i wonder why people play a text based game but fail to read anything except their hp/mana/move prompt…
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 15th comment:
KaVir said:
I'm fairly sure you need both public and media attention to be considered a celebrity…I tend to think of myself more as "well known in certain circles". It's also the case that I'm known for different things by different people, and not all of those things are positive.

dictionary.com defines celebrity as "a famous or well-known person" which you are certainly well known in this community. and the fact that you're known for not so positive things does nothing to remove the celebrity status. just look at lindsay lohan and paris hilton and britney spears. all three are known for some pretty negative things yet they're still considered celebrities. although i'm still unsure why paris is a celebrity to begin with. she was a celebrity even before that lame sex tape was released.
26 Sep, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 16th comment:
Igabod said:
ok you've got to admit that those people are stupendously retarded if they're in a room with no exits and dont even read the desc. i wonder why people play a text based game but fail to read anything except their hp/mana/move prompt…

Depends on the MUD. If it's a PvP heavy MUD, I probably wont read much.

:)
26 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
when i start a new mud, any codebase, i tend to read the motd(which should be called something else cause i rarely see anybody change the motd daily) and if the first room isn't the standard stock first room i'll read the desc as well. if you fail to do these things then you could possibly miss some important detail that could make it easier on you starting out. i guess i'm a rarity though.
26 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 18th comment:
this leads me to wonder if my circle of mudder friends is extremely well informed, or if yalls circles are extremely reclusive and uninformed…. i'm just in utter shock at these revelations you guys have dropped on me…. shock and bewilderment…

This is probably because you started off with
faulty premises…leading you to such flawed choices
as "either my friends know a lot or yours don't."

I've been mudding since 1993 and don't remember
ever once coming across the name KaVir until around
2005, and even then it was as a guy on a forum with
an oddly capitalized handle. And to this day I
might be able to recognize the names of the Diku
devs if you told me, but I doubt I could actually
name more than one.

If you find this shocking and feel I'm uninformed
it's because you have made the error of assuming
that mudder == dikumudder. There is a universe of
mudding out there that does not know and couldn't
care less about the developers of dikurivatives.

really? i find that hard to believe, nearly every mudder i've talked to has heard of at least kavir.

Believe it. I don't begrudge anyone their fanbois,
please go on worshipping these folks as you wish,
but you should also know how provincial and naive
it makes you sound to be absolutely astonished that
your little view of the mudding community isn't
the only one.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Sep, 2008, effigies wrote in the 19th comment:
just about everybody who has heard of muds should know the names of every single one of the diku team considering just about every mud currently in active development is a derivative of diku

There is a universe of
mudding out there that does not know and couldn't
care less about the developers of dikurivatives.

A mud I staffed on years ago had a command to list the "elder gods who went before and made the universe possible". It listed people like Lars, Beek, Reese, Eric Johnson, and had some pretty poetic qualities to describe their contributions. The list was quite a few people long, and included real names and handles. I think Bartle got a mention, I know Linus and Stallman did, because that's what good nerds did back in the day. That was probably the only credits list I ever paid attention to that wasn't staff specific, although there was an equally cool command to view the (major) contributions of the staff. As far as i know, players totally ignored the credits all together.
26 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 20th comment:
Eric Johnson

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
0.0/47