25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i downloaded swr12fuss from smaugmuds.org the other day and went to log on for the first time without even looking at any of the code and figured out that almost no commands work, not even quit. so i then look at tables.c and THIS is what i see. now i'm not very knowledgeable about the swr codebase but i'm pretty sure it should have a lot more than just that in it. is there somewhere i can download the complete tables.c from swrfuss? or am i just completely wrong about the way swr works and it's a different file i'm needing? i know something isn't right though cause of the lack of a quit command.
25 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
With FUSS? No, that's correct. FUSS uses dynamic linking for commands.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
then why was i unable to do any commands? look, score, who, quit are all the commands i tried before just shutting it down, and got the huh? response. and how would i add a new command in?
25 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Did you read reading the official forums? http://www.smaugmuds.org/index.php?a=top...

Use cedit to add new commands.
25 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
The problem you describe sounds just like many other reports over at smaugmuds.org for what happens when you're trying to use Cygwin and haven't got something set up properly. I don't have the links handy but you should be able to find something about it on the site.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
ok the thread that Zeno pointed me to still leaves me a little confused cause it didn't seem that the question was fully answered, was the solution in installing zlib in cygwin or was it the makefile? cause if it's the makefile then why doesn't the makefile just come like that to begin with to save people from these problems?
25 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
The Makefile can't come like that because the codebase isn't primarily targeted at Cygwin users. All it takes is 30 seconds work to uncomment one line in the file and things should flow from there. If they don't, then the fault lies with Cygwin and you should seriously consider finding something that actually works right, like andlinux or something. You didn't post any error messages so I'm not sure how we're supposed to be able to help diagnose a problem with zlib.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
i didn't post any error messages cause i didn't get any, all i've done with the code is unzip it, do a make, ../src/starwars from area log in, try 4 commands and realized something was wrong, looked at tables.c and saw something i didn't recognize and asked about it here. i haven't even looked at the makefile yet but i'll do that right now and give it a shot.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
ok that worked perfectly, thanks for the help, now i just need to know how to log onto the Admin char cause the readme file says it doesn't have a password. when i log in however i type admin as the name, it asks for a password, i enter a blank line and it tells me wrong password. i could just be a little bit stupid here but shouldn't that work?
25 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
It may not. Try using the password "admin" instead? If that doesn't work it might be something that needs a quickfix in the distro.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
well damn i feel stupid for not trying admin as the pword… i tried everything else i could think of, password, nopass, starwars and several others. admin is the pword after all. this should be fixed in the distro readme file. thanks.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 12th comment:
ok, now that i'm on and got the admin char to work and all that, is there a command i can use in-game to set my char to max-level or is that only possible in the pfile?
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 13th comment:
nevermind that last question, a more important one just came up, in the bugfixes readme on the distribution it says there's a problem with the way areas are currently set up and to expect the boot logs to be full of non-existant objs mobs and rooms, but it didn't say anything about me not being able to walk around the mud without being thrown into limbo along with just about every single mob in the game. is there something i can do to prevent this short of scrapping all the area files and starting from scratch or am i just boned on this one?
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 14th comment:
I'm downloading the codebase and I'll check it out for you Igie. I'd hope that there is another solution.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 15th comment:
thanks chris, i appreciate it.
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 16th comment:
A few searches on smaugmuds.org showed a bunch of problems with mobs going into limbo in that codebase. Have you looked through it for a solution? It will take me awhile to figure this out being as I can't get it to compile yet.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
can't get it to compile? it compiled completely fine right off the bat for me on cygwin…

[edit] oh and no i haven't looked around smaugmuds.org for solutions yet, i'm not quite familiar with that site yet but i may just get familiar with it soon if i keep having questions about this swr. heh.
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 18th comment:
Well they have the most information on Smaug derivatives as far as I know. Especially the FUSS line since they are the creators and maintainers of that codebase.

PS: It doesn't like my newer version of GCC.
25 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 19th comment:
i just downloaded the newest gcc when i installed cygwin a few days ago, mine should be the same one you're using, i think mine is gcc4.1 or something like that
25 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 20th comment:
Igabod said:
nevermind that last question, a more important one just came up, in the bugfixes readme on the distribution it says there's a problem with the way areas are currently set up and to expect the boot logs to be full of non-existant objs mobs and rooms, but it didn't say anything about me not being able to walk around the mud without being thrown into limbo along with just about every single mob in the game. is there something i can do to prevent this short of scrapping all the area files and starting from scratch or am i just boned on this one?

Use gdb to debug why you are getting thrown into limbo.
0.0/21