18 Sep, 2006, Vladaar wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone, including Samson for the awesome server hosting, and help over the years. THY QUEST mud, is now going to THY QUEST graphical game. We will continue to run the mud until we release our client for player testing purposes. This is a massive project, and we will be looking for help, if anyone wants to donate some time here and there, let me know.

Thanks mud community !!!

Vladaar
18 Sep, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 2nd comment:
WOW! really? that is cool, we have talked about that, but have not found anyone to help with the graphical part :( Good luck
18 Sep, 2006, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Well, that and I don't really want to give up the text-based side of it either, I want a true hybrid where folks with the MMORPG client could log on for a MMORPG game and those without the client could telnet in and get the MUD game, but have it all as a single game that just interfaces via text/graphics depending on the client. But I don't have a clue how to code it that way. *shrug*
18 Sep, 2006, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
Code it that way? Ha! Think balance, my friend! "attack soandso" as aposed to *click*. The speed between mouse clicking and pounding out commands is huge! You can't have both. It's not fair to the typists. But ya… another argument. Totally off topic! Good luck with your client and all that, Vladaar!
18 Sep, 2006, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
It would be neat to do that, although I imagine avoiding copyright problems would be a lot harder for us if we did, being a Final Fantasy based game :p
19 Sep, 2006, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
Davion, you're assuming that it'd be PK.. besides, why couldn't you code in restraints to off-set that factor too?
19 Sep, 2006, Valcados wrote in the 7th comment:
I've thought about this a little myself. Depending how you did it, the typists might actually be the ones with the ridiculous advantage: much easier macros/triggers/aliases/logfiles… much easier macroscale movement (copy and paste a string of dirs and sit back and watch, vs. tediously move w/the arrow keys for 5 minutes)… a greater sense of "360 degree vision", no spinning your camera around just to see things (well, this depends how you do the graphics of course). And what about combat? If you keep with the diku style combat for typists and go to a click style combat for the graphics, that obviously favors the typists because the minor problem of typing "kill fido" is far compensated by the auto-physicals.

One possibility is to go roguelike, there is a very active roguelike development community with lots of literature and active discussion, see rec.games.roguelike.development. But in particular, do a search on "multiplayer problems" there to see discussion of the numerous difficulties involved in that route.

An almost universal problem is that in a graphical game, players take up space, unless the players shrink or the room grows as new players come in, eventually Midgaar [] will just get too crowded! You could solve this by using a civilization-type system where players can stack on top of eachother, but that presents its own problems.

The point is, a dual mud/graphics game is a Hard Thing ™. If these and other problems could be settled in a good way which doesnt take an entire staff of professional coders, that would likely usher in a new golden age of muds…
21 Sep, 2006, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
One of these days I really hope to be in the forefront of that new age's dawning, or at least well embedded in the bandwagon :smile:
0.0/8