22 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Sure. If you're talking about the programmer. Seems to me we were supposed to be discussing the merits of the MUD itself though. And I seriously still fail to see why using a modern codebase off the shelf vs spending 5 years time to get the same has any bearing on that. On a MUD, content is king, and to that end it would be more useful to discuss the merits of the MUDs area files. Of course, it might also be best to do that when we're not using someone's advertisement thread :)
22 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 22nd comment:
Fizban said:
Why would codebase matter? I definitely think it matters if you're looking for staff because using OLC you're familiar

OLC and codebase are independent of each other in lots of cases. I can think of many bases that include 2 different OLC's and i think then its much better to say we have Smaug and Oasis OLC than We are EldhaMUD or a Smaug derived base which does not give all the information required to make a decision.

Chris said:
Codebase certainly matters to me. I don't play muds very often but when I do I tend to stay away from Rom/Rot and LP not to mention any moo/mush/mux's.

The main delineater between codebases is the style of play NO? but even that is not fixed in stone. I too don't play Moo et al, not because of the codebase bot because i am not into the heavy roleplay environment that these bases offer. Rom and LP well they can be molded into whatever your hearts desire if your patient and put in the work. Sentience for example is a Rom derived game that plays nothing like a typical Rom. Lp tho i find hard to put into a box, the ones i have played are so diverse, check out Core 2036 as an example of something totally different.

Fizban said:
I just have more respect for the person who coded their own modifications than the one that is using a mostly stock codebase that just happens to be a heavily modified codebase.

Why reinvent the wheel, the smart person design their game out on paper and then use the best tool for the job. The design and implementation of a good game has nothing to do with how many changes you have coded into a more primitive base or even from scratch mind you. It has to do with using the path of least resistance.

In 2003 when i first started EldhaMUD i looked arround for a codebase that as a noob i could understand somewhat, that worked out of the box and required less changes from the starting point to get to my goal, Smaug was that for me tho many times i almost used AFK because it was closer again, but there were just some aspects of it i could not grasp, so i never used it. I had never played a Smaug, The games i played prior were Sentience (Rom), Core 2036 (MudOS), TerraFirma (Aber?), Materia Magica (Rom) and Solar Eclipse (Rot?)

Samson said:
And I seriously still fail to see why using a modern codebase off the shelf vs spending 5 years time to get the same has any bearing on that. On a MUD, content is king, and to that end it would be more useful to discuss the merits of the MUDs area files.

I agree, which is also why i think Codebase is such a non issue. It is not the tools you use, it is what you create with the tools that will make the game fun to play.

SO much more i can add, but no time, Sorry for the further derail OP.
22 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 23rd comment:
Wow, when I offered apologies to Myra for derailing this thread, I had no idea it was going to get even further derailed this far… :lol:

As for why codebase might matter in an advert for players, I too tend to stay within a 'comfort zone', and like Kayle, while I have tried others I've never really enjoyed relearning the commands and feel of codebases that weren't in the Smaug family.
23 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 24th comment:
That'll teach you for apologizing… :lol:
24 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 25th comment:
DavidHaley said:
That'll teach you for apologizing… :lol:

I guess so. :surprised:
06 Nov, 2008, Myra wrote in the 26th comment:
<bump>
We've had quite alot of fun the last two months and have been busy making our players, both new and old, happy. We've added the ability for players to have their own houses and lockers. If you haven't stopped by to try us out yet, I hope to see you there soon. We would love to have you join us. If you haven't seen much about us.. here's a bit in a nutshell.

We are based on Smaug and try to use DnD 2nd Edition as a basis for most of our creations. I believe that we have something for everyone and encourage anyone to give us a try.
——————————————————————————–
We have an all original world of 5500 + Rooms

• 17 races (Gith get to choose to become either githyanki or githzerai later in life)
    11 classes
    12 professions
    Multiclassing available at higher levels
    Roleplaying encouraged through experience bonuses, mentalstate detriments, and more.
    Newbie Friendly but challenging
    Extensive Help File System
    Relaxed Atmosphere with Helpful Immortals
    Clans are available
    and much more!

• http://escape.wolfpaw.net
    Message Board at http://escapedestiny.forumsland.com
    or just come directly to us at Telnet: escape.wolfpaw.net Port: 2020
    06 Nov, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 27th comment:
    Conner said:
    Wow, when I offered apologies to Myra for derailing this thread, I had no idea it was going to get even further derailed this far…

Looking at her second ad, I don't think the thread got derailed at all. Considering this is a site by Devs and for Devs, the commentary has been pretty much what you'd expect from friends trying to be helpful. Missing is all the negative sniping you might see elsewhere.

Myself, I think the first ad was fine, but in it's brevity, it lacked "punch". There's two kinds of ads, basically. Intellectual and emotional (physical ads being banned in most countries, these days). An intellectual ad will be filled with facts so the player can rationally decide which game to choose. An emotional ad, which is not so common in mudding, would skip the facts and simply create a desire.

This second ad is a combination of both. The first paragraph is filled with warm words - "fun", "happy", "own", "hope", and "love". Then, there are bullet points for the brain. Well done, Myra.
    06 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 28th comment:
    i would agree with sandi there, the second ad certainly would attract more people than the first. i'm curious what would constitute physical advertising though. is that the kind of advertising cat houses use in amsterdam where they put naked chicks in windows?
    20.0/28