22 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Let's say you have a question about doing something in Linux. Where do you go to find help?

Today I ran into something quite ridiculous.

I typically use LinuxQuestions, so I went ahead and asked the question there.

And I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on GaiaOnline either.

You'd think I would get a response on LinuxQuestions first, and a good response. Right? Wrong. I got a response on LinuxQuestions which crashed my server because the person didn't know what he was talking about, and I got the perfect solution on GaiaOnline.

I'm still in disbelief here, but whatever.
22 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I don't often have questions that aren't already answered somewhere, but when I do, I ask on the Ubuntu forums and get pretty good responses. But yeah, surprising that the dedicated Linux forun gave you an answer that crashed the server. :rolleyes:
22 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Zeno, I find what you got back from the linux forum to be typical of the kinds of circular reponses you get when asking for help there. I got no better from the Fedora forums awhile back. It was either the usual RTFM response ( even though we all know man pages suck ) or the typical "you did it wrong" even though I copied what was given to me to try. Fortunately I've not crashed a server with a bogus command. Certainly seems like someone needs to fix ping to not do that. It also never ceases to amaze me how ultra-complex things like what you wanted have to be in order to get them. It would kill someone to include a -printtimestamp switch in ping? :P
0.0/3