20 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
ok, so last night i downloaded cygwin and installed all the necessary utilities for developing a mud except i find that i'm not able to use pico. i went back through it all tonight and was still unable to find out what i missed if anything in the installation process. if anybody knows how to use pico in cygwin then please help me out.
20 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
You'll actually want to find and install the nano package. That's the editor that replaced pico.
20 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
really? when did that happen? i guess i have been out of the coding game longer than i realized…
20 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Happened years ago. Something to do with a licensing dispute between Redhat and the people who made Pine, which is where the pico editor came from.
20 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
You know, oddly enough, I miss pine…
20 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
ok i found and installed nano and now for some reason when i open cygwin it won't accept any commands at all. i typed dir and it says bash: dir: command not found. same with ls. what did i do to it?

[Edit] Nevermind, i just uninstalled then reinstalled everything from scratch and it works fine now.
21 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
i was just now looking through the installation packages on cygwin and in the email category it shows that you can install pine (including pico) i don't really need pine on my cygwin cause i'm only using it for offline editing and testing of my work and not for email or anything but thought it was worth noting cause conner said he misses pine.
21 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
Aye, Cygwin technically uses nano, but I think it aliases pico to nano because I know I can type pico <filename> in a fresh install of cygwin and it opens nano.
21 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
Igabod said:
i was just now looking through the installation packages on cygwin and in the email category it shows that you can install pine (including pico) i don't really need pine on my cygwin cause i'm only using it for offline editing and testing of my work and not for email or anything but thought it was worth noting cause conner said he misses pine.

:lol: Why thank you, though I use Fedora and Ubuntu (one server running each and the network has several Ubuntu boxes as workstations) rather than cygwin over here and I'm sure that I could probably find a copy of pine to install easily enough, but I'm not certain offhand what the license issues actually were and don't have a valid excuse to add it other than that I liked using it back in college, for email currently I use Thunderbird and am probably better off for it as I get to see pictures and such in-line now. :wink:
21 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
You might want to look into Alpine, a free derivative of Pine, made by the same group. It's in the Ubuntu repositories, at least for Hardy.
22 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
DavidHaley said:
You might want to look into Alpine, a free derivative of Pine, made by the same group. It's in the Ubuntu repositories, at least for Hardy.

Cool, David, I may have to check it out just for nostalga's sake then, but as I had said, I don't really have a valid excuse to justify installing pine (or alpine) for regular use at this point since it's not like I'm hosting a mail server anymore.
0.0/11