19 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i'm not much good at coding but i'm decent enough to know how to do some things. i have been playing around with a stock rom and making a lot of changes but i'm pretty sure i've got dozens of bugs. i want to test it out but i'm nowhere near the point where it's ready to put online, so i was wondering if anybody could tell me how to run the mud locally just so i can do a bit of testing. i've asked the question before of a few friends but they couldn't tell me if it was even possible let alone how to do it if it is. therefore, i figued i'd ask here where there are lots of highly experienced coders and admin. just so you have as much information as needed, i'm using my compaq laptop with windows vista. any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
19 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
Using a Windows operating system can cause a few issues with hosting a mud on your computer. My first suggestion would be to dual boot a linux operating system (Ubuntu is neat, google it!). If you would rather not do that some other options exist. You can download cygwin or andLinux(It's neat, google it!). Once you get a proper environment ready you can try reading this quick tutorial.
19 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
i'm not looking to host my mud for online play, i'm looking for a way to run it on my computer offline just so i can test it, make sure certain things line up etc. buying linux is definately not an option for me, as with most americans at this current time, i'm barely making enough money to buy gasoline so i was hoping there was a free way to do this, since this is only a hobby of mine and not something intended for other people to play. eventually in a couple years or so after i've put in plenty effort, i'll be putting this online but at this moment it's nowhere near ready for that. btw, that tutorial was only about how to start the mud up online which i'm able to do already.
19 Sep, 2008, wowgonna wrote in the 4th comment:
Ubuntu is a linux distribution you should look into as Chris pointed out, you can run it in Live mode to check it out with installing anything. Should you want to install it you can do so right along side windows and will have the option which operating system you want to boot into when you start your computer. Also, like most linux distributions its free.
19 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Igabod said:
buying linux is definately not an option for me

:stare: It's not really an option for anyone really. I only know of one Linux distro that actually costs money, and that's Red Hat Enterprise Edition..
19 Sep, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 6th comment:
ISUnilimited has a free package that would fit your needs, if you can telnet past your company's firewall.
19 Sep, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
i appreciate the assistance, i found someone who told me how to get cygwin to work and everything so now my question is answered. all that remains now is fixing all those bugs i put in by editing with wordpad for so long and then i can get to play testing.
19 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:

As Kayle mentioned below, linux is free, you download it, the only way you pay is some distros offer discs which you can pay just the shipping and handling for if you lack the quality of internet needed to download them.

all that remains now is fixing all those bugs i put in by editing with wordpad for so long and then i can get to play testing.

Bugs? I assume you are referring to the DOS line endings? If so you can just use dos2unix.
19 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 9th comment:
Kayle said:
Igabod said:

:stare: It's not really an option for anyone really. I only know of one Linux distro that actually costs money, and that's Red Hat Enterprise Edition..

Hmm, how far are we stretching? :P OSX is BsD Derived, which is UNIX derived like linux and costs money, though I suppose being UNIX derived like linux still isn't 'quite' the same as being a flavor of linux.
0.0/9